Novice Chasers 2009/10

What price should he have been today? A more fluent round and he would have been a comfortable winner. That was Missed That proportions today.

His form in novice company last season more than entitled him to go off short priced favourite in these type of races.

Agree with that Galileo

His debut over fences wasn't bad and as you point out his Novice form from last season was also pretty decent.

He is starting to turn into one of those horses that looks like they may not fulfill their potential, however.

Good to see Nicanor spring back to some kind of form although his Cheltenham winning days may well be some way behind him....

Anyone else find it disappointing that after all this snow the Novice chase on saturday at Huntingdon had four runners?! I appreciate Tazbar looked difficult to beat and proved as much but all this whinging about not being able to run is four runners the best we can muster? This seems to be a continuing trend that we have undersubscribed novice chases. I would expect to see more and more people following Gordon Elliot across the Irish Sea in future to contest these events.

There's got to be a chance Cousin Vinny will go back over hurdles after that display. ITC mark of 150 and he's totally unexposed at two and a half miles plus. Maybe even the Coral Cup could be a possibility.

There's got to be a chance Cousin Vinny will go back over hurdles after that display. ITC mark of 150 and he's totally unexposed at two and a half miles plus. Maybe even the Coral Cup could be a possibility.

i was thinking cousin vinny might be mullins rsa chase horse, there was no pace on the last day and ruby took it up due to that, dont think the horse enjoyed being out in front one bit from reading alot of reports vinny got scared with shadows lossing lenghts at each fence maybe his worth another try at a longer distances were his jumping wont be such a worrry with a bit of cover.

It doesn't matter how good CV was over hurdles - he can't jump. Not sure why Walsh had him at the front - surely he would have been better off letting the horse find his feet a little further back away from the pace?

Agree with Luke though - this horse is a cash machine. I was pretty emphatic before the Supreme last year, and was only annoyed his price drifted on the day so much.

I hope we see him in another decent novice chase sometime soon.:)

It doesn't matter how good CV was over hurdles - he can't jump. Not sure why Walsh had him at the front - surely he would have been better off letting the horse find his feet a little further back away from the pace?

Agree with Luke though - this horse is a cash machine. I was pretty emphatic before the Supreme last year, and was only annoyed his price drifted on the day so much.

I hope we see him in another decent novice chase sometime soon.:)

The horse is not a two miler - Fairyhouse is a pretty sharp track so sitting in would not have been right for the horse. Walsh admitted after the race that making the running did not suit him (go back and look at the Royal Bond Hurdle at the same track where he made the running and jumped big and slow there too).

No point going back hurdling with him, settle him in behind over 2m4furlongs plus and we will see a better horse. Missed That would have been given up on pretty quickly in similar circles.

Cousin Vinny drifted before the Supreme as the horse was not right, as the trainer said before the race.

I know that's why he drifted but it was annoying as I was pretty sure he wasn't up to standard regardless of how he travelled over, and all that did was make his price bigger.

What did everyone make of Mad Max's chasing debut?

Clearly the bare form is nothing to shout about but Henderson seems very confident the Arkle is definitely where he will be aimed. 20s not an unfair price. Seemed to jump well, and should be better on better ground.

I saw the last few fences and was not impressed....but saw the full race today and he was more impressive second time round. When he met a fence right he fairly flew it.

I presume it was a cheap shot about aftertiming .I made at least 2 posts about Cousin Vinny last week where you would have no doubts about my opinion of the horse.
If you asked me nicely I could tell you what the winning jockey said to the trainer and owner,the race that he recommended they go for(surprising) or why the horse had connections scratching their heads for a while but its easier to go for the cheap shots.

I have an itch I can't scratch about the Sizing Europe/Captain Cee Bee/Zaarito lines of form. They could be absolutely top-drawer, but I can't shake the feeling that they might not amount to a great deal either.

I reckon Sports Line could be the forgotten horse of the Irish 2m novices, and reckon he can pitch himself right back into the Arkle picture if he takes his chance on Sunday.

If Chasing Cars can get round today it should help sort out the form lines to a degree GH. Browns Bailey finishing second to an 'on the bridle' Zaarito the last day, you'd hope Chasing Cars will take care of him easily.

I have an itch I can't scratch about the Sizing Europe/Captain Cee Bee/Zaarito lines of form. They could be absolutely top-drawer, but I can't shake the feeling that they might not amount to a great deal either.

I reckon Sports Line could be the forgotten horse of the Irish 2m novices, and reckon he can pitch himself right back into the Arkle picture if he takes his chance on Sunday.

Probably the strongest bunch of 2 mile novice chasers in Ireland in some time...in terms of strength in depth.

I think you are probably right, Gal........I just wonder how much they have achieved.

Is Sizing Europe now running up to near his previous best hurdling form?
Has Captain Cee Bee run to something like approaching his excellent novice hurdle form?
Has Zaarito put a moderate hurdles career behind him, and is now running with the kind of promise he showed in Bumpers?

The likelihood is that the answer to all three is 'Yes', but........I dunno........I'm carrying a little bit of scepticism for no apparent good reason, but it's not a feeling I can shake at present.

As Hezz has said, the picture will hopefully be a little clearer on Sunday evening.

Hug and make up, lads.

Back to the novice chasers; it will be interesting to see how Sam Adams gets on today in Gowran. He gives a decent line of form to measure Zaarito and Lenabane against.

Although he is up against an okay field, neither Uimhiraceathair or Jered have done it for me over fences, so I would go for Sam Adams or Caim Hill.

Christ Luke, calm down - not sure what's wound you up.

Ps, Mel paid me to post the above :p

I dunno........I'm carrying a little bit of scepticism for no apparent good reason, but it's not a feeling I can shake at present.

I know exactly what you mean... I'm also wondering if this group will fizzle out. I think the Arkle will come from one of those available at bigger odds, a couple of which look very talented novices in the making.

Back