Novice Chasers 2010/11

I'm sure that if we look over the last Festival, we were concerned, or aghast in advance, that a 5-day Festival would be exactly what they'd tilt for. I can't see how they can pad the day out unless, as Grasshopper says, they add in a mascot race, plus two pony scurries, a bending race and bobbing for apples. Personally, I'd be quite happy with a bending hurdles with pig-sticking, the results to provide the hog sarnies for the next day. At least it might stop thousands falling into a racing-induced coma.

The next potential new race will be a "Gloucestershire National" style affair over an extended 3m 4f. Rejected in favour of the new Jewson race, but still on the back burner.

I read something like that in the Yours Disgusted comments in the RP online just now! I think I might add to the gaiety of the day if I e-mail my suggestion in to Gillespie to consider quite seriously. Why not a Ladeeze Sidesaddle Hunters' Chase? Riders of Tomorrow (brats) in a 4f mini-hurdle for Shetlands? Horse & Hound Chase - yes, horses and hounds, not the magazine. The list is endless - at this rate, I could keep them going for five weeks, never mind five days. Oh... now, there's a thought...

The next potential new race will be a "Gloucestershire National" style affair over an extended 3m 4f. Rejected in favour of the new Jewson race, but still on the back burner.

A National trial has long been touted as a worthwhile race by Timeform, as you know Rory, and I'm an advocate of the idea. However, like Timeform, I'd see this proposed event as a result of conditions changes to the existing National Hunt Chase - simply adding it alongside the existing race and opening it to non-novices just seems an extraneous load of old balls to me - there simply aren't the stayers in training to support both races, without diluting the overall quality even further....imo.

Dont forget that Punchestown has a five day festival with 3 grade 1's surrounded by shit!!!

Its all about money and Cheltenham is no different. Demand is greater than supply so more days will come until they cant fill it.

How many blasted 'nationals' can there possibly be? There's the Sussex 'national', the Welsh 'national' (well, okay, Wales is nearly a nation), the Midlands 'national', and on and on. They can all be used as Grand National trials if trainers wish, and their prize money's not bad. Enough with the nationals already!

Loved the 4... The Aintree classic and the Welsh-Bonanza Boy real Chepstow days; Ireland and Scotland

Gillespie wants a Saturday Gold Cup, end of.

Stuff Uttoxeter and their big day for the Midlands National.

The best way to fill a 5-day card with non-crap would be to have 5 days of 6-race cards then keep the bars open longer than 1 hour after the last race as, presumably this new venture is more about gate/bar takes than top-quality racing.

If the quality is diluted surely many of the Irish trainers will (very long-term, admittedly) prefer to stay at home for their major prizes, thus boosting their own cards and diluting the quality and competition of the Cheltenham festival further?

Surfing could be one to keep an eye on for Nicky Henderson and Michael Buckley - was supposed to be taking the Long Run route but his chasing career in France didn't go to plan so he's been with Henderson since July.

Be interesting to see where they head with him.

Didn't exactly set the heather alight in any of his runs in France, IS.

I've discussed this one elsewhere. I reckon he will be an overbet Saturday Henderson hotpot when he reappears, and is for opposing if there is anything credible in opposition.

A National trial has long been touted as a worthwhile race by Timeform, as you know Rory, and I'm an advocate of the idea. However, like Timeform, I'd see this proposed event as a result of conditions changes to the existing National Hunt Chase - simply adding it alongside the existing race and opening it to non-novices just seems an extraneous load of old balls to me - there simply aren't the stayers in training to support both races, without diluting the overall quality even further....imo.

What is wrong with the Williams Hill, or if they want further, 4 days later there is the Midlands Grand National?

Didn't exactly set the heather alight in any of his runs in France, IS.

I've discussed this one elsewhere. I reckon he will be an overbet Saturday Henderson hotpot when he reappears, and is for opposing if there is anything credible in opposition.

In fairness he was 2/2 over hurdles in 2009 including defeats of Sanctuaire, Saint Du Chenet (G1 winner over fences since) and the useful if inconsistent Lucky To Be (half to Master Minded) on debut and then Saccageur (dual Graded placed), Son Amix (Cheltenham placed) and Sulon (three time Auteuil scorer) on his only subsequent start that season. Not sure what went wrong when pulled up on his return and his jumping has been sketchy since but it can only be a bonus that he's been over here since July so the Henderson yard have had plenty of time to school him, wouldn't be one I'd be taking odds-on about first time out but he looks a nice prospect to me.

If you're talking about the Cathcart, Ardross, it was open to non-novices and was a different kind of test altogether (imo) from the proposed race.

This is manufacturing an intermediate novice championship trip over fences where none is necessary; with the primary (but unstated) motivation that of sustaining a fifth day at the Festival (imo).
He's come out of the closet on regional news this evening, Grassy. (See Road to the Gold Cup thread.)

In fairness he was 2/2 over hurdles in 2009 including defeats of Sanctuaire, Saint Du Chenet (G1 winner over fences since) and the useful if inconsistent Lucky To Be (half to Master Minded) on debut and then Saccageur (dual Graded placed), Son Amix (Cheltenham placed) and Sulon (three time Auteuil scorer) on his only subsequent start that season. Not sure what went wrong when pulled up on his return and his jumping has been sketchy since but it can only be a bonus that he's been over here since July so the Henderson yard have had plenty of time to school him, wouldn't be one I'd be taking odds-on about first time out but he looks a nice prospect to me.

I can't have it, IS, but feel free to indulge this one if you must. :cool:

Redhead....it's all too predictable, isnt it? :(

How many blasted 'nationals' can there possibly be? There's the Sussex 'national', the Welsh 'national' (well, okay, Wales is nearly a nation), the Midlands 'national', and on and on. They can all be used as Grand National trials if trainers wish, and their prize money's not bad. Enough with the nationals already!

Nearly a nation Kri,have you never studied the Act of Union. Shame on you.

Redhead....it's all too predictable, isnt it? :(

Sadly yes, Grassy.

The comment made about the infrastructure being improved sounds particularly interesting. Having restricted the number of tickets available for the past 10/15 years on the grounds of safety, how can he be asking for extra public transport and access if only x numbers of people can be allowed in?

I have a strong suspicion that limiting the amount of tickets was more of a marketing ploy than a safety issue, so that the "exclusivity" of such tickets meant that people who really wanted to be there would pay up and shut up.

Now I get the strong impression that moving the Gold Cup to a Saturday is purely to boost an already large crowd with "once-a-year" racegoers, rendering the place almost impossible to move about in, not to mention the increase in drunken teenagers and badly-behaved brats being shoved to the front of the paddock rails by pushy parents who think their offspring have an automatic right to push in front of people who have paid the full whack and had the foresight to get there early for a good view of the horses.

Sorry. That's not what I call a "sporting" event.

Roddy - think you'll find that the term 'Act of Union' has been abandoned for some time now! I believe Wales is a country, with some devolution of government, forming part of the United Kingdom. When it's entirely devolved to be a free-standing unit, I'll think of it as a nation. But there's no 'nation' of Sussex, no 'nation' of 'the Midlands', so I do find all these 'nationals' misnomers and silly. Okay, a Sussex Grand Steeplechase, sure, but 'national'? No.

Get on your multi-vitamins now, old dear! Personally, unless I could be carried everywhere by sedan chair, it would have less appeal than it has now at four.

Would have my money on Wishful Thinking from Hobbs outstanding yard as the novice to look out for ( allowing for my Ballyvesey of course ). Expect him to run at Cheltenham this Friday

Roddy - think you'll find that the term 'Act of Union' has been abandoned for some time now! I believe Wales is a country, with some devolution of government, forming part of the United Kingdom. When it's entirely devolved to be a free-standing unit, I'll think of it as a nation. But there's no 'nation' of Sussex, no 'nation' of 'the Midlands', so I do find all these 'nationals' misnomers and silly. Okay, a Sussex Grand Steeplechase, sure, but 'national'? No.

When Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond (descended from the great Welsh House of Tudur) seized the English throne in 1485, becoming Henry VII, no change was made to the system of governing Wales. But he remained concerned about the power of the Marcher Lords and the lawlessness and disorder in the Welsh Marches. To deal with this there was a revival of the Council of Wales and the Marches, which had been established in the reign of Edward IV. After the deaths of many of the Marcher lords during the Wars of the Roses, many of the lordships had passed into the hands of the crown.

The Acts have been known as the "Acts of Union", but they were not popularly referred to as such until 1901, when historian Owen M. Edwards assigned them that name — a name some historians such as S. B. Chrimes regard as misleading, as the Acts were concerned with harmonising laws, not political union.

PUNJABI
7yo bay gelding; Komaite — Competa
“Has come back looking bigger and stronger. He was slightly disappointing when defending his Champion Hurdle and at Punchestown after but he has now schooled over fences, taken to it very well and that’s now where his future lies. I'm pleased with what I’ve seen.”

Back