Novice Chasers 2010/11

Loosen My Load should take the Grade 3 Buck House Chase at Punchestown tomorrow.

It should be a decent day for de Bromhead with Sizing Europe going in the other Grade 3 chase.

Loosen My Load really is some jumper to watch...not sure he has the engine to beat the very best but would love to see him take in the November Cheltenham meeting next.

Antepost betting for the Arkle is now near redundant, what with the introduction of the 2m4 race.

Yep. There are very few horses which would be 100% certain to be Arkle bound. What makes it worse is that they could be Arkle-bound till say Feb when it looks like the new Kauto Star will be running - wait then for a mass exodus to the new 2m4 race.

For novices chasers, which race they go for is as much determined by how exuberant their jumping is, rather than how far they stay.

For novices chasers, which race they go for is as much determined by how exuberant their jumping is, rather than how far they stay.

Not really, a hell of a lot of trainers won't send their horses near the RSA chase in fear that it will bottom the horse for a long time to come. The 2m 4f race will possibly take some of the lesser rated 2milers fearful of taking on the really classy speed horses and horses whose trainers don't fancy bottoming them young

Actually, that's sort of what I mean. A bit of a generalisation, but trainers will generally stick with the shortest distance that the horses quality of jumping will stand up to in the novice year. If Celestail Halo really attacks his fences he's sure to be in the 2 miler. If he's naturally careful there's not much point going that route as he stays further and his jumping would be under less pressure at longer distances.

How was he doing up to then? A one off rick or were you nervous for him beforehand?

I thought he was pretty safe the whole way around and the race was only really just begining. Didn't jump like a natural two mile chaser to me but hard to tell first time up.

Moscow Flyer took a fall at his first attempt so it can be done. My opinion is he will revert to hurdling as Paul Nicholls does not seem convinced he is a chaser.

.........Nicholls does not seem convinced he is a chaser.

If there's one thing Nicholls is rarely short of, it's top-end 2m novice chasers. Competition in the yard might also influence a decision to go back over hurdles with Celestial Halo.

Its not hindsight but he is not a horse that I would have imagined taking too chasing. Bit snookered if they go back hurdling as he is just short of top class.

However, he deserves another chance ant fences and Nicholls reported that he came back ok

Dont see Celestial Halo as a top notcher over 2miles over hurdles or fences. This horse needs 2m4 or even 3m, even than he might still not be good enough. He has never striked me as top top class, if he wasnt trained by Pumpkin head, he wouldnt have had half the hype he has had. He is definitely too slow for the Arkle.

Back