Novice Chasers 2011-12

quite good NH racing this weekend with the interesting novice steps to freedom on same card and sizing europe running saturday

this seasons 2m novice chase division looks like it will be hot this season as long as injuries dont plague the main contenders

That at the first Chepstow meeting CL?

Excited to see Back In Focus run in the Staying Novice races over in Ireland :)

Agreed. Loved this horse when he won at Haydock and would seem a smart move from Wylie to move him to Ireland where he should get his ground.

Agree - backed him at Haydock and very impressed with his victory that day and in his Maiden P2P before that, Derek O'Connor said the horse is "a freak" and he'd know a good horse when he sat on one :)

Agree - backed him at Haydock and very impressed with his victory that day and in his Maiden P2P before that, Derek O'Connor said the horse is "a freak" and he'd know a good horse when he sat on one :)

I didn;t!!! I backed Court in Motion that day and couldn't believe how easily Back in Focus strolled by him!!! I then got my fingers well and truly burnt at Aintree. The first day was the day to back him but I will be following him anytime he encounters soft ground.

Interesting that O'Connor said that - They must have paid a lot of money for him.

Yeah - he won his Maiden by miles from a good yardstick (Ballyvoneen now with Neil King - horse was always beaten about 7 or 8 lengths in second by useful performers).

Court In Motion disappointed that day but don't think he'd have beaten BIF even running to form, had back Carpincho in the morning myself but had to go in on Back In Focus having checked his form and seen him in the paddock.

Martin

"I'm relieved and very satisfied. He got a bit tired but that's to be expected against race fit horses," said Morris.

"He could do no more. He's jumped well and he's got a brain. I want to get some experience into him but I've no real plans.

"Hopefully he's ok in the morning and we'll take it from there."

Russell added:- "He did it well. He'll learn a lot from the experience and I'd say he'd prefer a bigger track."

He looked a bit stuffy to me, and he should improve a lot for this. I thought the runner-up dodged the issue somewhat, but First Lieutenant had something in reserve anyway.

Is Spirit Son going novice chasing this season? I like him a lot.

Al Ferof, too. I was struck by Silviniaco Conti in the first half of last season. I'd love to see him take to fences as well.

Spirit Son is Hendersons Champion Hurdle horse.

Really? What are his plans for Binocular?

For my money, Oscar Whisky is still the most interesting Champion Hurdle horse in the yard. Is it confirmed whether that one goes chasing, or stays over hurdles?

I think I remember now Henderson saying after his Aintree win that they'd see where he is over hurdles next (this) season and what his trip is.

Grands Crus is going chasing.

Last edited:
Back