Novice Chasers 2011-12

also think that Peddlers didn't perform to his true ability. He clouted the first

How many times have we seen a horse clout one of the early fences and simply not got into a race? The first is especially vital. I was there and the moment he did that, immediate thought was he wont win today

Yes a good debut by HC yesterday

peddlers cross undoubtadly a good horse and good chaser in the making but does he need further perhaps the Jewson is a better target whilst you can debate sprinters finishing effort in the supreme im not sure its relevant here one could very well argue that after 2 easy victories at bangor with its fairly easy fences tackling kempton with its stiffer fences at speed has caused him some discomfort

Even if one believes Sprinter Sacre's Supreme defeat was down to lack of stamina ( I don't), the Arkle is over 1/2f shorter, and run at a lesser pace, comparitively.

if there is a danger to ss in the arkle it will be al feroof and while he has had a good introduction i believe it will take a very good performence to beat sprinter in the arkle

Taken from Barry Geraghty's blog:

As you gathered from my pre-Christmas despatch, I was extremely keen on SPRINTER SACRE in the grade two novice chase over two miles and now I’m sure you can see why.

He is without doubt up there with the best two-mile chasers that I’ve ever ridden – and I’ve been very fortunate to have ridden at least one of the true greats in Moscow Flyer.

To put him in context, he’s the best two-mile novice that I’ve been on since Moscow Flyer. He won even better than I thought he would although I always thought that he would beat Peddlers Cross but it’s quite likely that horse didn’t run to his best after the early mistake and the track probably didn’t play to his strengths.

It certainly suited my lad who has lots of class and stays the trip well but Cheltenham definitely wouldn’t be a bother to him – he's not a horse that needs a flat track. Quite simply, he’s got a tick in every box.

Although he was in front most of the way it wouldn’t have mattered if I’d sat on Peddlers Cross’s tail because he’s very amenable and you can put him where you like. It wasn’t like Finian’s Rainbow last year when he would just go and that was it, never any chance of dropping him in.

For me, Sprinter Sacre is one of the most important horses around for the future.

Super race at Newbury. Given Walkon's flop second time out last season (albeit off a longer absence) I'm happy to take him on. Given my views on Al Ferof, going to back For Non Stop at 11/4. Simply a case that I don't think Cue Card or Walkon have the form to suggest they are up to giving him 7 lb. I don't think he's quite as good as finishing a neck second behind For Non Stop implies, but even so he has rock solid claims on these terms.

Super race at Newbury. Given Walkon's flop second time out last season (albeit off a longer absence) I'm happy to take him on. Given my views on Al Ferof, going to back For Non Stop at 11/4. Simply a case that I don't think Cue Card or Walkon have the form to suggest they are up to giving him 7 lb. I don't think he's quite as good as finishing a neck second behind For Non Stop implies, but even so he has rock solid claims on these terms.

Betting on races like these would have us in the poorhouse but I am backing FNS mostly for the reasons mentioned above.

;)Walkon had very little to beat the 2nd was under pressure for a mile before the finih and Zaynar, try cathing me on agoing day, was 3rd. Nice horse but hard to compare with the younger brigade.

I wouldn't have For Non Stop on my mind in this class his second to Al Ferof has no reflection on how good the Nichols star is. Run it again and weight wouldn't bring them together IMO

I have hated Cue Card with avengance since I first set eyes on him as a hurdler. I must have slagged him a hundred times as being an ungenuine rougue. Guess what? I've changed my mind and think he's actually turned the corner even if his jockey hasn't.

For the first time in his life he actually woke up and got the hang of things against Bob's Worth and if it hadn't been for Tizzard being overly confident and slowing him down to a walk to jump the last he'd have won with ease.

What really impressed me ws the way Cue Card fought all the way to the line. He's very often been acuused of ahorse that finds nothing but he found plenty that day despite getting beat.

Perhaps he'll go back to his old self and chuck it but I'll take the risk that he's finally got it through his thick skull he's avery talented horse.

Cue Card 3/1 is very generous .........if he wins ;)

Having backed Al Ferof last night, can't say I'll be going in again but surprised Cue Card still as big as 14's in a number of places. With the Arkle pretty much guaranteed as his target now we can begin to get an idea as to how the race will be run. He's going tp be at his best, setting a strong pace, jumping boldly and trying to get others at it. Sprinter Sacre is presumably also going to be ridden prominently, that's how he has been on virtually all of his starts to date. You wouldn't want to see them getting into a duel too far out. Could see this being run in similar fashion to last year's Supreme... You can see where I'm going! Still 7/1 you say!!

im not sure winning in heavy grounnd over 18f when a great part of his victory lay in the mistakes of others makes his chances of an arkle victory any better than they were yesterday

the jewson would be a far better target for him

Agree completely. Cue Card has no chance in the Arkle, a very good one in the Jewson (even if Peddlers Cross turns up there).

What are you seeing from today's race that I'm not that suggests Cue Card isn't a free-going, front-running, sound-jumping two-miler that did them for toe early in the straight.

The opposition today were stayers. He has little chance in the Arkle because of the favourite's presence more than any shortcomings in his own ability.

What are you seeing from today's race that I'm not that suggests Cue Card isn't a free-going, front-running, sound-jumping two-miler that did them for toe early in the straight.

As far as I'm concerned he did what I expected him to do today. Found his home against inferior animals and if he were mines he'd head straight for the Jewson.

Need to be more than free-going front runner to cope with Sprinter Sacre. In fact if there's a way to get beat it's to be up front with the big horse stalking you because as sure as god made little green apples he's going to jump right past you and once he does you are immeiately on an uphill struggle just to keep pace with him. Cue Card is too eratic a jumper to cope and almost certain to lose ground at every other fence if trying to go with him and disaster looms!

Al Ferof is a much bigger danger if he can get a full head of steam up in time and swoop late when the jumping is over and done with but Cue Card has nothing in his armory that could even make Sprinter blink.

Absolute madness going for the Arkle when he cleary stays. The horse should be dropping in class run in the Jewson where he has more chance of dictating the pace and winning something. Even if it's only the best turned out it's more than he'll get if he runs in the Arkle.

It depends what is meant by 'sound' jumping: CUE CARD has a massive disadvantage in that he will not go long at any of the obstacles. Tizzard asked him repeatedly to stand off, and he didn't. He tends to jump slightly off his forehand and that will always mean he'll be disadvantaged by using his front end more than his rear - and you do not get the same amount of power off the front. It also means he lands in a bit tight - he pitches slightly on landing two or three times in his last race. Contrast and compare to December 3/AL FEROF who only decides to shorten into the last at Sandown a tiny bit. You can see the difference that shortening into a jump makes when you see how FOR NON STOP, behind AL FEROF, takes advantage of this minor deceleration and nearly goes on ahead. Nearly, but not. And that's because AL FEROF manages to quicken and stay enough ahead to win.

I would not put CUE CARD in front of FOR NON STOP at this rate. If he does not improve his jump style - which is anything but fearless, like SPRINTER SACRE - he will be forever disadvantaged by it. He will lose lengths over a race against them by deceleration alone, let alone any possibility of pitching over.

I see this being very much about AL FEROF and SPRINTER SACRE, and my money - if I had any to venture - would be on SS ahead of AF, mostly on the basis of SS's superior athleticism and courage rather than tidiness. He only has to blast over a couple as he did last time and it's cheerio, chaps.

I have been trying to put into words what I wanted to say about cc jumping,I thought 'fiddly' or 'careful' but KRi has just summed it up there.Only playing for place money in the Arkle at best.would have a great chance in the Jewson for me though.Last years supreme form is going to have a big say IMO.one champion hurdle winner,Arkle winner and Arkle second and cue card placed at worst. ;-)

I can't see Cue Card beating either Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle, or Pedler's Cross in the Jewson, if that is Pedler's target. No disrespect to Cue Card, I just feel that those two are much better.

Back