Novice Chasers 2012-13

All the guys I go to Cheltenham with started punting at an early age and are still standing after 30 years.The has been some spectacular self destructs on the fringes of the group but strangely enough I think starting out doing ten and twenty pence bets for years was a good apprenticeship.

Just checked for fun. My first bet was a 10p Lucky 15 that included Daylami winning the King George on the 24/09/1999. I turned 16 the following month. My first big win was a one double on two of Garry Stevens mounts at Goodwood that year that returned twenty pound.

Moon Dice is entered in a novice chase this weekend. have you heard anything Luke?

Haven't heard anything yet-he needs good ground and the forecast for the week isn't great.I hope he destroys the opposition but there is always a chance that he will be better in handicaps.

Can remember punting on the tote from the age of six or seven at Gowran and Tramore. Won a jackpot at Leopardstown one feb when I was about ten that paid a monkey in punts! The ould fella took 10% commission for collecting it the rat! I was threatened with expulsion from secondary school as I was seen going into local bookies in my uniform. Got around that by meeting local bookie on the street by appointment. My bet used to be a Union Jack - the bookies wife did the settling and didn't understand the linear nature of the bet and paid out way too often!!! Have never given up punting since..

The horse has been plagued by bad luck since the Galway Hurdle -Doyle looks inept when he gets it wrong.

The horse has been plagued by bad luck since the Galway Hurdle -Doyle looks inept when he gets it wrong.

It was always going to be dicey settling him at the back of a large field of yak novice chasers having there first look at fences...he didn't seem to get very high at the one he fell at or even the one before that.

Think some on here (Martin maybe) really liked Teelin Star last year

Due out in a novice chase in Tipperary tomorrow

From One Jump Ahead...

Teelin Star
The enigma of the 2011/12 point campaign. Trained by Paddy Hughes, he jumped out in front and went further and further away from his opponents in both his point wins at Kilworth and Lismore (good ground): in what was basically a solo run at the latter venue, he clocked one of the most incredible point-to-point times (eased down in final furlong). He then had a minor training setback, prior to a lifeless bumper run at Fairyhouse. All the jockeys who have ridden him in work think he is special. Colman Sweeney, his points partner, rated him the best he has ever ridden, which probably makes him a stone better than Salsify and, if that is true, then Teelin Star could be a genuine 150+ high rank chaser. Valuation figures circa £400,000 were banded about following his point wins but he remains
within the Paddy Hughes yard in different ownership. This is an exciting horse bound to divide opinion. There are unknowns such as, does he have to dominate, will he fancy a battle if challenged for a lead, and what will he find at the business end, if off the bridle? We will be all the wiser in time but, in fairness, horses such as this one generate excitement and that is what makes the jumps game so compelling.

Is One Jump Ahead any good QZY?

I buy it every year, its only £8. Stable Tours this year from Henderson, Hobbs, Honeyball, King, Lavelle, Longsdon, McCain, Nichols, Pipe and Russell.
The Top 40 Prospects won't make you rich (this year includes Simonsig and Sprintre Sacre) but the Irish Pointers and Bromley's Best Buys sections are usually interesting.

This years Top 40 Prospects...
Ambion Wood
Boston Bob
Captain Conan
Cash and Go
Champagne Fever
Clondaw court
Definite Maybe
Definite Memories
Don Cossack
Eduard
Fingal Bay
For Two
Fox Run
Gevrey Chambertin
Hinterland
Ile De Re
Its a Gimmie
Knight Pass
Knock A Hand
Lookout Mountain
Mac Aeda
Master Malt
Master Of The Game
Melodic Rendezvous
Oscar Nominee
Our Father
Pont Alexandre
Present Lodger
River Maigue
Rocky Creek
Simonsig
Sir Des Champs
Snake Eyes
Spirit Of Shankly
Sprinter Sacre
Super Duty
Tistory
Un Atout
Up And Go
Wonderful Charm

He says:

Good ground seemingly brings about the best in Simonsig and he is undoubtedly a top-class chasing prospect for this season. The Arkle will be his aim and, given his pointing background, he will be mighty difficult to beat between now and March and beyond.

He says:

Good ground seemingly brings about the best in Simonsig and he is undoubtedly a top-class chasing prospect for this season. The Arkle will be his aim and, given his pointing background, he will be mighty difficult to beat between now and March and beyond.

He's a bit out of date.....:ninja:

Un Guet Apens has schooled very well. He'll prob have a run over hurdles before his Novice chase campaign.

Back