Novice chasers 2013/14

African Gold goes at Uttox tomorrow. I think it was just fitness last month at Cheltenham as he travelled and jumped well, got mucked around with 2 or 3 out and then just kind of drifted backwards. Hopefully we'll see a much better display

I thought his jumping was poor. Will want to see much better today.

Sam Twiston Davies did say at the Paddy Power preview night that he was worried about African Gold first time out, so i'd expect a big improvement today.

Harry Fry has entered both Karinga Dancer & Rock On Ruby for the 2m1f novices' chase at Plumpton next Monday.

RoR over fences would brighten up my Monday...

African Gold failed again yesterday and Dai Walters now saying he will probably revert back to hurdles

Some potentially fascinating novice chasers out over the next few days...

Chelt Friday - Wonderful Charm, Oscar Whisky & Close House over 2m 5f. I’m a bit stumped on his one, as thought Wonderful Charm wanted further & marked Oscar Whisky as one to oppose going left handed (thought he jumped right at every fence 1st time out), so may have to have little interest in Close House if a massive price

Chelt Saturday - Possibly... Le Bec / Shutthefrontdoor / Sam Winner rematch from last month plus very interesting O'faolains Boy over 3m 1f

Fairyhouse Saturday - Mozoltov & Minsk

Navan Sunday - Mozoltov & Minsk entered again, alongside Sizing Gold, Suntiep & Wingtips

Yep I know Granger, but he's had such a big reputation he's always going to be one of those that jumps off the page at you. Maybe this is the weekend we see the real Minsk :)

They really need to go the RSA route with Wonderful Charm. Jumped well just now and has an engine but in the shorter Jewson he'll be vulnerable to speedier animals.

Just A Par. He did look good on his debut over fences but I read somewhere that he might go the Silviniaco route with him and bypass the Festival.

I can understand PN wanting to look after Wonderful Charm and aiming him at the easier race in terms of his development but how many chase winners has he had at the Festival in recent years? Not many. I'd far sooner take on Ballycasey than Felix Yonger as well. It's all about winners, novice or no.

They also have Sam Winner out tomorrow. He jumped well finishing 3rd on his first go round Cheltenham, in what I thought looked a strong race. Suppose he may improve past the 2 who finished ahead of him, as they'd both had a run. For the record, I’ve backed those 2 (Le Bec & Shutthefrontdoor) for the RSA

Sounds like they don't agree with us... Nicholls quote on RP:

" To give 8lb to Oscar Whisky and come so close was an awesome performance. He has got experience of the track today and he won't run again now until the Festival. He'll get an entry for the RSA but it's 99.9 per cent certain that he'll run in the Jewson."

Sounds like they don't agree with us... Nicholls quote on RP:

" To give 8lb to Oscar Whisky and come so close was an awesome performance. He has got experience of the track today and he won't run again now until the Festival. He'll get an entry for the RSA but it's 99.9 per cent certain that he'll run in the Jewson."

I hope he gets beat then. At this stage we don't know for sure which will be the stronger race so being that dogmatic makes him look like a dick.

Last edited:
Can't see that it's PN's fault. The owner said, after his Newbury win:
It´s a great privilege to have a horse of this quality. I´d like to run him in the Jewson, he´s got a lot of speed so that two and a half miles should suit him and he clearly jumps well, he´s really clever when he needs to be.

I fkin well hope not, having backed him at a high of 131.5 for the Arkle. Do Gigginstown have a better 2m novice-chaser waiting in the wings?

Not sure if Gigi are too bothered with 2m chasers Grassy, in the long term at least. RW indicated today that the horse would ideally prefer a trip in his column.

Suppose it will come down to how they Willie views FY

Last edited:
I fkin well hope not, having backed him at a high of 131.5 for the Arkle. Do Gigginstown have a better 2m novice-chaser waiting in the wings?

“His form was good all the way through over hurdles and, today, looked a good solid jumper and learned as he went along. We wouldn't be afraid to go up in class with him and he can go up in trip and I think he'll handle any ground.”
WM

Back