Novice chasers 2013/14

I've always been fond of Felix and wrote this here about his debut in a bumper at Leopardstown. He's a model citizen nowadays but still has an endearing way about him that takes my eye.

The second horse, Felix Yonger, was fidgety in the parade ring. At one point someone else took over from the lass who was leading him around but after one lap of the ring he ruefully handed him back to her. I took a liking to the horse, and his maggotry seemed harmless enough. In the straight he won the three way contest on the far side, having had to switch late and lose some momentum. That was not an easy thing to do in that testing ground but he had no response when Bold Optimist came wide and late.

Last edited:
Nick Mordin gave Felix some write up last week.
Not saying he is right but interesting all the same.

What was the general theme edgt?

Not something I can get my hands on down under, but interested in what he has to say.

Thanks DG. Is a decent read

For what it's worth, I think they will go CF Arkle & FY Jewson but that is based on a hunch and not the detailed reasoning the blog goes into! To combat the Mullins issue, 75% of my AP bets on his runners have been for any race with Hills. Am happy to take the reduced price & avoid the ‘will he, won’t he run in the right race’ heartache in the weeks leading up to the Festival

In effect Felix could be the next Sprinter Sacre .
Kept galloping to the line off a fast pace.

The last novice chaser Nick was as hot about was Simonsig.

It's far too soon to be mentioning Felix in the same breath as either of those horses, especially SS.

I know this is what Nick Mordin has said, not you, Eddie

Correct

I want Felix to be my new Flemenstar if my old Femenstar has to go on holiday.

Mordin has done well for himself but has a squiggle

He's carried that squiggle since his 'Detroit City will win three Champion Hurdles" days.

Correct

I want Felix to be my new Flemenstar if my old Femenstar has to go on holiday.

Mordin has done well for himself but has a squiggle

But Flemenstar isn't even that amazing.

You seem to make a lot of comments about how average Long Run is without realising he has achieved masses more than the overrated and over-discussed Flemenstar. Just saying! :)

Hopefully he runs Granger otherwise it could be a weak renewal, with only the two Nicholls entries and Green Flag catching the eye as potential future stars

What do you reckon about Moscow Mannon tomorrow Granger?
Supposed to be good vibes about his schooling

What do you reckon about Moscow Mannon tomorrow Granger?
Supposed to be good vibes about his schooling

Interesting one. De brom really seems to be able to school horses to jump a fence better than others.

Not sure how big a horse this is. Somewhat disappointing hurdling year, will need to be useful to win fto.

Ned Buntline put in a much improved performance today -he was always pulling double over his opponents before idling after the last.Serious engine but the trainer says he hits the ground very hard.

Back