Novice Chasers 2016/2017

They would be wiser putting Brennan up, imo. The horse would get a better education under him, than under TS.

Not a big negative for me and think he's 1.01 to keep the ride

Think you're right about him keeping the ride, Perp, but - for me - he'd be a negative on an established, top-end chaser in a Gold Cup, let alone a novice going for the race. Put it this way; there isn't a scenario where I would envisage him getting Cue Card up, to beat Vautour in the King George.

I've nothing whatsoever against Tom Scu, and I'm generally of the opinion that as long as the jockey doesn't fall off, he has done 90+% of his job.....but novice chasers need educating properly - even moreso if they are being aimed at the Gold Cup - and Thistlecrack would get a better education if he was ridden by someone else.....Noel Fehily being an ideal type for the job, in my view (though freely concede it's not going to happen).

Last edited:
maybe i should have emphasized the 'big'. He wouldn’t be my first choice & possibly not even top 10, but his first couple of nov chases will hopefully be straight forward, so not sure what any others could teach him that Scu won’t </SPAN>

Probably true, though NDV was already well-established at Hendersons, and would have ridden work on horses with a lot more talent than anything TS would have encountered at Pipe's. He was also highly-touted, with his entire career ahead of him - whereas Tom is an open book, in terms of his riding ability.

will need to get some rain 'tween now and then

Probably but it's interesting to see such a talented animal out this early.

I would imagine this is a case with Thistlecrack of get it over with as soon as possible

This way it leaves plenty time to switch back should it go badly wrong.

Personally if he were mine he wouldn't see a fence this side of 3 world hurdles.

I reckon he'll meet a whole different class to that of which he's used and not be anything like the star he was over hurdles

I reckon he'll meet a whole different class to that of which he's used and not be anything like the star he was over hurdles

Thistlecrack was a star over hurdles for a season. Others were rubbish or close to it over hurdles and became stars over fences. Different codes so the class cannot be compared. I doubt many GC winners would've won the WH just like the reverse is true. Stayers they are, but other than that its nothing similar, 2 different disciplines.

Cloudy Dream starts his jumping career at Carlisle this afternoon. Had a great novice hurdle season including a possibly unlucky second in the Scottish Champion hurdle & think he’ll be one of the top northern novice chasers this year

Cloudy Dream starts his jumping career at Carlisle this afternoon. Had a great novice hurdle season including a possibly unlucky second in the Scottish Champion hurdle & think he’ll be one of the top northern novice chasers this year

Nice little race, Richards won this 2 years ago with Duke Of Navan from an odds on Malcolm Jefferson shot. Chidswell is well thought of in the stable as a novice chaser but he may just find this trip a bit sharp.

He was horrible today-if he runs at the festival it will be in a handicap and probably not over fences.

Harry Derham on ATR

"Nick Schofield came in after the race and said horse needs it softer, needs 2 1/2 miles and he'll leave that form well behind"

I really liked how Alpha jumped - all is positive given the trainer's profile and how he will just chugg along with him slowly

The only shame is how low he is already with the books.

2 potentially good gigi's debut tomorrow

Identity Thief and Disko

The former I am particularly looking forward too

Trainer is a shrewd one. I wonder if he'll run him at Cheltenham prior to March. Have a suspicion the track does not suit.

Back