Novice Chasers 2016/2017

How have Nicholls fto being running. He was slow last season but won a few decent beginner chases this time.

I think it was old guard who has a real bell end of an owner too.

Great to see Hereford course resurrected again.
A decent course in good NH country, who could ask for more.

My abiding memory of Beef Or Salmon at Cheltenham was the 2006 pre race parade.
His ears were back and he was bucking and jumping and not a happy chappy at all.
Sitting beside a pub Bookie ( one of FOUR on duty, those were the days; none of this old on line shite;. just good honest cash or a nod if you were a repeat customer) I pointed to the tv and told him he could lay all he wanted of Beefy.
With that a guy put 50 on the nose . Now that is loyalty.

I contrast that with Tied Cottage lining up for the Gold Cup year after year, ears pricked, trained to the minute tearing off in front like the Duracell bunny and giving the opposition hell, snow or shine.

great horses are great horses whether or not they win at the festival; we all have an Achilles Heel, better we are remembered our the good days rather than the other.

How have Nicholls fto being running. He was slow last season but won a few decent beginner chases this time.

I think it was old guard who has a real bell end of an owner too.
They seem pretty forward this year & yes OG is part owned by Jeremy Kyle, but can't hold that against him

Not sure it is my responsibility to be judge and jury on such matters.

I value you both as posters and would put you both in the top 5 posters I notice and look forward to reading.

My attitude on life and it rolls over to the forum is to not take things personally - a post can come off as cold/impassionate as it is a spontaneous reaction written in time and a couple of hours later can read as something not intended.
or a bit strong.

You both take strong positions and sometimes heads will clash - Start of the jumps season is a bit like the start of mating season for deer's - they both start at the same time and both result in antlers clashing.

There are words I'd change in both of your postings on this thread to date if I was to be some sort of forum executioner.

This is a great time of year, every day I get emails about tracked horses having entries and we have all our winter competitions starting.

Enjoy the season ahead

What a sook!

what would one of them translate as

sook
suːk,sʊk/
nounAUSTRALIAN/NZCANADIANinformal
a person lacking spirit or self-confidence.
a hand-reared calf.

Urban Dictionary: sook
to sulk, crack a sad and act like a big fat baby when you don't get your own way.
sam had a sook when claire wouldn't sleep with him.

Sook
An Australian slang term used to indicate another person is soft, easily upset, or just a plain pussy.
Joe: I'm in so much pain right now, I've got such a bad bruise on my knee.
Bob: *Looks at Joe's Knee* You call that a bruise, don't be such a sook, my dick has had bigger bruises on it than that.
John: Yeah Joe you f.uc.k.ing pussy, don't be such a sook.

It means a suck up....in scotland. Just say they are both a pair of dicks and they need to stop pulling each others pigtails. ;-)

Old Guard pulled up and dismounted after whacking the first. Hope he's Ok

Most spectacular blowout from a long odds on shot in a novice chase that I can remember in a while-hit first hard,ran off course,pulled up.

Last edited:
Big fan of the winner. Disappointing lack of gear change from the Nicholls horse I thought

Didn't quite get away clean-enough over the last two, Benny, and might want a bit further (based, admittedly, on one initial viewing).

Agree that was smart race with only Flying Angel disappointing. If I had to take one out of it, it would the 2nd over a little further

Is Ballyoptic novice chasing?
Connections said pre race today was a prep for the West Yorks hurdle at Wetherby, so assume not

Back