Novice Chasers 2016/2017

Identity Thief the weekend novice highlight for me

The two winners at Cheltenham on Friday were interesting for different reasons. Marracudja is great to watch tearing a long out front and will be hard to beat back on flat tracks. Heron Heights made a hash of the first in the 3 miler (looked like he was surprised by the short run to it!) but travelled and jumped beautifully for the remainder. Probably not top class, but definitely one for the tracker

Initially was disappointed with Shantou Village on Saturday, but perhaps the mistake 4 out was worse than I thought, so not giving up on him being a player come March. Mick Thonic caught the eye running on again for Tizzard/Potts. He will win races

Thistlecrack declared for Chepstow tomorrow, but think more rain is needed for him to run

Tizzard on Thistlecrack:

"It's raining and it's going to be absolutely fine. I'm not 20 miles from Chepstow at the moment and it's pouring down, so I'm sure it will be fine there too. We're going there expecting to run."He's in lovely form and has done plenty of work with him in the last fortnight. He's fit enough and he's schooled well so let's get on with it.”

Identity Thief gives his fences plenty of respect (not a bad thing).

2 miles around the inside track at Cheltenham looks like it will be a bit sharp for him, on style of racing and pedigree a step up in trip will suit.

How far will Scu let him win by? Scu's penchant for putting the gun to their head a mile from home might see it win by a distance...nice long run in too. Over 14 lengths could be a steal

How far will Scu let him win by? Scu's penchant for putting the gun to their head a mile from home might see it win by a distance...nice long run in too. Over 14 lengths could be a steal

He should just hack round and get an education. 5l win with not a puff out of him.

Identity Thief gives his fences plenty of respect (not a bad thing).

2 miles around the inside track at Cheltenham looks like it will be a bit sharp for him, on style of racing and pedigree a step up in trip will suit.

I think his optimum trip will be further in time, but he will be campaigned as a 2miler until next season

very exciting day, something tells me fences are not his game and we could be in for a shocker. Hopefully I am wrong and we see him win by 10+ lengths.

that has to be a master class of jumping for a novice..never touched a twig and makes a fantastic shape of fences..a serious horse..possibly a better jumper of fences than hurdles

bear in miind that Bregwan at the same stage of career..hit most fences..and he wasn't as good as Thistlecrack..he won the GC

anyone thinking its a mistake to put this jumping..is mistaken imo

Last edited:
that has to be a master class of jumping for a novice..never touched a twig and makes a fantastic shape of fences..a serious horse..possibly a better jumper of fences than hurdles
He made a fuss of some hurdles thats why my early concerns for him over fences but he's even more clever over the big obstacles.

He made a fuss of some hurdles thats why my early concerns for him over fences but he's even more clever over the big obstacles.

that was my first thought..it was like a computer program of how to jump fences

its very easy for a novice to look novicey in that company..but he just didn't

Maybe Scu got him in tight to test him? A lovely schooling round for the horse...form not worth a sook but still a nice introduction.

the alternative is hitting many fences and nearly falling..like Bregawn

could be a very serious jumper..he was a very serious hurdler..and he stays..its not like a 2m hurdler stepping up..a la Night Nurse

we have a very interesting season ahead..very exciting

Last edited:
if button had to be pressed i'd be worried..but with ease of winning..and apparently natural jumping ability..it looks very interesting now re the 3m -3m2 division..on one run he jumps better than Cue Card..Vautour..Don Cossack..and has better hurdling form than any of them

i hope he does well for them..looks a real natural..in fact..what they been doing arsing about with hurdles:)

early days..but that was the ultimate perfect start

Last edited:
Back