Novice Chasers 2016/2017

Some decent novices out tomorrow

At Haydock there's Aqua Dude, Politologue, Vintage Clouds & Welsh Shadow in the novice chase and Cloudy Dream in the Graduation.

I've had a soft spot for Politologue since he travelled beautifully in the Challow and am hoping chasing will be his game. It’s a bit of guess tough, as they're all first time out. Cloudy Dream looks a slam dunk

Only 4 runners in the beginners at Ascot. Different Gravy was the best of them over hurdles but will give Hell's Kitchen a go at 5/1

I'll take a chance on Kings Odyssey to turn over Cloudy Dream on the ground. 4/1 looks fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloudy Dream did it very nicely again and definitely has a big future

Hell's Kitchen's clearly a bit of a tank but needs to learn to race/settle. I reckon the 1st three could be decent

Last edited:
I'll take a chance on Kings Odyssey to turn over Cloudy Dream on the ground. 4/1 looks fair

KO woefully outpaced and the winner did it nicely enough

Different Gravey looked in trouble briefly turning in but showed his class after 2 out. He might've had a battle with Hells Kitchen if that one hadn't thrown his chance away by fighting BG for the first mile or so and then again later

I thought Different Gravey was very good today. Jumped soundly and straight, travelled nicely, responded to pressure. Today's trip looked just on the sharp side but he was well on top at the finish. He should come on for it - the significant drift in the market suggested doubts as to his readiness - and as a 160-rated hurdler he's entitled to take high rank among the novice chasers. Not clear yet whether he'll go JLT or RSA, according to post-race comments.

Couldn't actually see any of the race but Cooper seemed pleased that they got that race into Identity Thief today

Better ground will suit him

Last edited:
From the little we could see Identity Thief looked to jump tidily enough and seemed to win fairly comfortably. I liked the way Cooper eased him once he'd got past the runner-up and put the race to bed

Noel Fehily on Altior tomorrow's a strange one. Personally think he's one of the best, but assumed one of Hendos other jocks would substitute for Nico

Fehily one of the best for giving a horse an educational ride, imo, and Geraghty not at Kempton anyway, as Jonners booked for the one Hobbs trains for JP in the first.

Altior's jockey-booking makes plenty of sense to me.

Yep.....it really is appalling.

Have had a fiver on the other one at 6/1 for the craic. You just never know with novice chasers FTO.

Last edited:
And they will cut the bas*ard even further if he wins

Am delighted with my current position on Identity Thief.

Where is the next logical step in the UK for a good 2 mile novice chaser? Tingle Creek meeting?

Last edited:
And they will cut the bas*ard even further if he wins

Am delighted with my current position on Identity Thief.

Where is the next logical step in the UK for a good 2 mile novice chaser? Tingle Creek meeting?

He's likely going to Leopardstown on Boxing Day according to HdB Granger

and totally agree re today's race. 2m2f around Kempton on practically perfect jumping ground and this is the turnout FFS.

Last edited:
Leopardstown at Christmas prob won't show Identity Thief to his fullest ability mind - it tends to be rather soft but who knows with the dry autumn/winter we are having

Will know by that stage today whether or not Yorkhill goes fencing - would think he would be the best of Willie's 2 milers if he does

Don't give up on Min just yet, granger.

Actually didn't think of him Nick - reports are that he filled out nicely

The stable has had some misfortune in pitching novices into Grade 1's immediately over the last 2-3 seasons so if they want to prep them in advance of G1 runs, they would want to be seen out pretty quickly

The odds suggested he should win like that but it was hard not to be extremely impressed by that performance from Altior.

Shortening him to 2/1 for the Arkle off the back of this is downright criminal but it looks at this early stage like it'll take a good one to beat him.

Back