Novice Chasers 2016/2017

UDS is a very good animal if it weren't for the fences.....isn't a natural jumper..Thistlecrack is a better jumper just on his first effort...engine is great..but they should have stuck to hurdles,,would love to have seen him with just another season hurdling

i think people are forgetting what SS achieved pre Arkle here..it was in another stratosphere to anything in the 2m division since year dot..a 174 hoss he would have laughed at a few years ago..he will have to be actually asked to beat such a horse nowadays..but will probablly still take it..that tells you how good he was ..and still is..even his B game is up to the level that beats most horses

there are 3 categories for me..an average winner of a race....an above average winner of a race..a monster of a horse that defies belief

two horses in the last 40 years have hit that last category for me..Frankel and Sprinter Sacre

No room for Moscow in this 3rd category EC1? I guess he wasn't as flashy but you got the impression he had more in the tank.

I think Mullins/Ricci will be as pragmatic as ever with how they aim Douvan. They have Djakadam and Vautour for staying races so seems likely they keep Douvan at the minimum in my view. If something is up with either of the other 2, plans could change.

he would just miss out on the 3rd category by a whisker..but thats no slight on him..its more a compliment to the two that had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief..there might need to be a 4th category to split such as MF away from the above average bit..he was clearly above..above average level:)

1. Average winner
2. Average +
3. Excellent
4. Rub eyes in disbelief

I like Top Notch. I think he is more of a brawler type than Grandouet, who was more flash in comparison.

He tends to give his running (good start) and also has the look of a chaser about him, I reckon. I liked the way he jumped hurdles, and I think he could make-up into a decent novice....though one maybe just short of top-class.

Even though it's our local track we rarely go to Uttoxeter these days but really wish we were going this afternoon [can't do that and Charlie Hall day]; the novice chase is a cracker. Best card I've seen there for ages.

i don't think any of the three in the novice will particulary like the faster ground..but the first one my calcs tell that will like it the least is Charbel...Top Notch i'd prefer more of a test for..so think Le Prezien will take this

I agree EC. The ground may not be soft enough for Charbel and he's likely to be harried up front by Solstice Star (who has it to do on hurdles form) while Top Notch never struck me as a chasing type when watching him over hurdles.

The Nicholls form makes Le Prezien a bet.

Cracking little race that. Three very decent horses, although I'd be surprised if any of them turned out to be proper Grade 1 animals.

Aux Potts Soins, Alpha Des Obeaux, Barters Hill, Nambour and Rock The Kasbah among the 21 entered for the Steel Plate Nov Chase at Cheltenham next weekend.

Drumlee Sunset form figures away from HQ; 1111 with two of those wins being at today's course and putting in an impressive performance when winning his only outing over fences in his PTP.

Figures at Cheltenham; 2U349

I'm not after timing as I didn't have a bet in the race but this one could turn out to be a decent animal now sent over a fence (and he seems to enjoy it here) and in conceding the benefit of a run time may tell that Aux Ptits Soins lost little in defeat.

Last edited:
Thanks Wilson. I'd given up a little on Drumlee after his novice hurdle win at 1/8, as thought even that looked hard work. Haven’t watched today’s race yet and hopefully you’re right that fences are the making of him and the Hales horse still has a big future

From The Guardian

The star attraction on Exeter’s card was supposed to be Aux Ptits Soins, a winner at last year’s Cheltenham Festival, now making his chasing debut. But the grey lacked fluency and turned in a laboured effort to be beaten in a small field at odds of 2-7.
“I’m not disappointed,” said Paul Nicholls, his trainer, who felt the horse had proved to be badly in need of the run, just his second in the space of 18 months. Aux Ptits Soins was sidelined for most of last winter by significant problems with his teeth and sinuses.
“He’ll improve tonnes and tonnes,” Nicholls added. “He wants to get back racing, get lighter, get fitter. He came back to me later than most of mine, didn’t start cantering until September ... If you’re going novice chasing, you’ve got to get some experience. I can do as much as I like at home with him but he needs a few runs. He’s just got tired.”
Even so, the trainer warned: “There’s no telling, after all the problems he’s had, that he’ll be as good as he was. He had three lots of major surgery last year and he had big problems. But he is going to get fitter and fitter and fitter.”
The bookmakers were predictably unimpressed, William Hill doubling the grey’s odds for the Festival’s RSA Chase from 12s to 25-1. Nicholls aims to find another small-field contest as the next stage in Aux Ptits Soins’s learning curve.

Business is picking up this weekend in Ireland

Prince of Scars and a few high profile ex pointers at Nass on Saturday

Anibale Fly, Gurteen, Martello Tower and Tycoon Prince due out Sunday

Some decent novices out tomorrow

At Haydock there's Aqua Dude, Politologue, Vintage Clouds & Welsh Shadow in the novice chase and Cloudy Dream in the Graduation.

I've had a soft spot for Politologue since he travelled beautifully in the Challow and am hoping chasing will be his game. It’s a bit of guess tough, as they're all first time out. Cloudy Dream looks a slam dunk

Only 4 runners in the beginners at Ascot. Different Gravy was the best of them over hurdles but will give Hell's Kitchen a go at 5/1

Vintage Clouds has actually had an outing over fences which may give him an advantage. He jumped well enough at Carlisle but the trip was on the short side and the ground will suit him better tomorrow, as will the 2f extra. May get involved if I can get 4s in the morning.

Back