Novice Chasers 2016/2017

I am going to side with Vintage Clouds over One Track Mind at Carlisle this afternoon. The Greatrex horse belted the first at Newbury and never got into the race. He’ll surely do better, but that was an inauspicious start to a novice chasing campaign… Vintage Clouds jumps well, pretty certain he’ll stay and I’ll take him to frank the form with Politologue, who I think is one of the best novices we’ve seen in the UK so far

The 2.5m beginners at Wincanton is also interesting.

Barney Dwan looks short enough and Connetable may go well in receipt of a few lbs, but I‘ve backed a couple of the bigger priced ones EW. Robinsfirth, who is a huge monster of horse, built to jump, had decent novice hurdle form 2 seasons ago, but is a bit of a guess whether the Tizzards have him straight enough. Wishing And Hoping also looks too big at 12/1 as was jumping well until coming down at Plumpton and would have given Baron Alco a real race

The Barney horse is apparently the best horse in the stable. Hence the money pouring on since last night.

The Politologue form was franked, just by the wrong Sue Smith horse! One Track Mind never look interested and my guess is we'll see him over hurdles next

The Wincanton race was very"interesting" and your pick was probably the best of them and definitely the unlucky runner. My 2 ran OK and will both probably pick up a race. Brother Tedd needs to learn to jump

Technically this is the wrong thread because it wasn't a novice chase, but I was mighty impressed with The Venetia horse in the 2:35 Newbury today - Cepage. Couple of sticky jumps but looks to have a serious engine. Granted, it's all about levels, but I believe he'll go a lot higher than today's OR of 119. Only a 4 year old. Has come from France and first start in the UK today. Traveled powerfully on the GS ground with form on Soft/Heavy in France previously. Why is he not a novice? This is his first season chasing, with debut over fences in May 2016. Are the rules different in France in terms of novice status?

Last edited:
Technically this is the wrong thread because it wasn't a novice chase, but I was mighty impressed with The Venetia horse in the 2:35 Newbury today - Cepage. Couple of sticky jumps but looks to have a serious engine. Granted, it's all about levels, but I believe he'll go a lot higher than today's OR of 119. Only a 4 year old. Has come from France and first start in the UK today. Traveled powerfully on the GS ground with form on Soft/Heavy in France previously. Why is he not a novice? This is his first season chasing, with debut over fences in May 2016. Are the rules different in France in terms of novice status?

Who says he's not a novice?

Patrick Mullins said of Yorkhill "any race or trip, he wins"

He said the exact same of Bellhill last year. In fact he was so definite about it on the FF podcast that a race was named "Bellshill Wins All TheFinalFurlong Novices' Hurdle"
Patrick is a grand chap, but he talks some sh*ite at times.

*Edit* I'm not saying Yorkhill isn't a machine. Fine Neptune Winner and and no surprise he is clear JLT fav, even before we have seen him attempt to jump a fence. And listening to G Wylie on FF Podcast this evening, it would seem JLT is highly likely to be his target. While I enjoy listening to Patrick's musings, I just wouldn't be taking anything he says to the bank!

Last edited:
Does anyone actually believe a word this yard, and affiliated owners, say about 'targets'?

At this stage last season, how many of us would have expected an entry in the JLT for Black Hercules, let alone him running in it and winning it? Not many, I suspect.

The only time Festival targets count with this mob are at the 48-hr dec stage. Backing Closutton horses ahead of that is a crap-shoot, and it's basically 2/1 that we're on in the right race, this far out.

Last edited:
Agreed, but it doesn’t p*ss me off as feel WPM does it for the right reasons i.e. to give the horse the best chance of winning a race. Also don’t buy into the theory it’s all down to Ruby. Sure he’ll have input, but ultimately reckon it’s Willie’s call

From a punting perspective, decided a couple of years ago not to try and second guess, so only back theirs NRNB or ‘to win a race’, unless it’s certain there can only be 1 target (e.g. Douvan last year)

Anyone who think Min is a Group 1 horse should change sports....he is ordinary and the only reason he won his chase debut is fook all else was off

Wylie gave the impression that Mullins calls the shots about who goes for what race as long as he doesn't have two of his in the same race. Using this rule of thumb for Wylie and Ricci horses may be the best way to figure out their plans if you also factor in Ruby sticking his bottom lip out.

It certainly helps with the novices. Yorkhill won't be anywhere near the RSA because Bellshill will be taking in that race. That leaves Yorkhill with the JLT or Arkle and there's no way Ruby will allow Min and Yorkhill to run in the same race.

Piece of **** :D

In my view Politologue is one of the most exciting UK novice chasers about so will be very disappointed if he doesn’t hack up this afternoon. Work gets in the way this morning, but will be travelling thru the Ascot area early afternoon, so may well pop in to see him scoot home…

In my view Politologue is one of the most exciting UK novice chasers about so will be very disappointed if he doesn’t hack up this afternoon. Work gets in the way this morning, but will be travelling thru the Ascot area early afternoon, so may well pop in to see him scoot home…

Yes - like him a lot....put him in the double with LDS.

Buveur D'air out tomorrow over 2 miles at Haydock v Cloudy Dream in what looks like a match. You'd think he's be up to it receiving 8lbs, but wouldn’t take a short price about him

Back