Novice Chasers 2016/2017

In my view Politologue is one of the most exciting UK novice chasers about so will be very disappointed if he doesn’t hack up this afternoon. Work gets in the way this morning, but will be travelling thru the Ascot area early afternoon, so may well pop in to see him scoot home…

Sorted out a profit for the day. Nicholls reckons will stick to 2.5.

There's something special about a grey jumping beautifully from the front and you can see why they’ll stick at 2.5m as he go a bit tired/lonely after the last. Think he’s very exciting

Don't worry guys those fookers have no idea what they are talking about....Trust me Min will flop!!!

That aside I was ridiculed by some fooker when I said Top Notch had a big future ahead of him over fences?? ......He's now won 3 without breaking sweat :o) answers on a postcard please

Buiveur took a huge lump out of one of the fences down he back, though that would stop him but he won like a good thing.

How would you price up a Min v Top Notch clash Tanlic?

Impressed with him. Massive engine and from what I saw jumped well in the main. Wonder what he'd be like on better ground though.

He handled it well enough last season Euro, and he looks as though he was made to go chasing. Of the first three home in last seasons Supreme he always looked like the one that had the most scope. That said if his jumping holds up, Altior has the biggest engine of the three and he's been pretty good so far. Despite connections hopes that Min will be better than the other two over fences, I just don't see it.

Last edited:
That question you put re Altior is the reason he's one to take on in the Arkle. Despite my misgivings about the track re Identity Thief he's starting to look tempting. I think BUV will be aimed at the JLT.

The Novice chases are really shaping up as some of the best races of the festival. Obviously the Arkle with Altior, Min & Identity Thief.
But even the The JLT is getting stronger looking by the week!
Yorkhill, Buveur Dair, American Tom, Clan Des Obeaux, Politologue and possibly even Coney Island. Mouthwatering stuff!
I was particularly taken with Politologue the other day. Very interested in seeing him next time out against better opposition hopefully.

Last edited:
I'd agree that the JLT is most likely for BD. I also agree Identity Thief is the value. I backed him each way early and I'm more than happy with it. I'll probably lay the win part back at some point though to be honest.

In terms of jumping I'd say Identity Thief has impressed the most so far, but there's plenty of time to get more match practice in, so for me it's too early to form an opinion.

I just watched Yorkhill's debut yesterday again. He jumped markedly out to the left and seem to run down his fences.
Obviously still won easily, but not overly impressive for me. Granted it's only one run, but on that evidence it would have to be JLT.
I think you need to jump slicker and a lot straighter than that to be an Arkle winner.
On the technique he showed yesterday, I could see the Arkle happening all a bit too quickly for him.
I would imagine Bellhill will be aimed at the RSA - Does Wylie have another potential Arkle horse?

Buiveur took a huge lump out of one of the fences down he back, though that would stop him but he won like a good thing.

How would you price up a Min v Top Notch clash Tanlic?

Min 2m V Top Notch 2m5f ? That's a bit of a pointless question as they are unlikely to meet now. I think Top Notch will go JLT and prove the better horse long term.

Buveur D'air was number 1 in the pecking list of Nicky's novice hurdlers early on but Altior matured faster than he did. He looks a little bit backward over fences, of what i could see, but what an engine.

I know Nicky mentioned stepping him up in trip but that's a decision for what he does next and what JP wants.

You may think Nicky was joking when he said he might go after Min but I reckon he is deadly serious. Min finished just ahead of Buveur D'air behind Altior but Min was off for his life Buveur D'air was all but being schooled in public as Nicky thought it was all coming too quick for him.

We could be talking a real challenger to Altior here as JP does have Le Prezien going JLT..not that I like the horse but better one in each than 2 in the same race.

Last edited:
Min finished just ahead of Buveur D'air behind Altior but Min was off for his life Buveur D'air was all but being schooled in public as Nicky thought it was all coming too quick for him.

I presume that was fishing for a reaction rather than genuinely believing it Tanlic! :blink:

I just watched Yorkhill's debut yesterday again. He jumped markedly out to the left and seem to run down his fences.
Obviously still won easily, but not overly impressive for me. Granted it's only one run, but on that evidence it would have to be JLT.
I think you need to jump slicker and a lot straighter than that to be an Arkle winner.
On the technique he showed yesterday, I could see the Arkle happening all a bit too quickly for him.
I would imagine Bellhill will be aimed at the RSA - Does Wylie have another potential Arkle horse?

Pretty sure Wylie and the stable will be happy to have him for the JLT.

if identity thief were to stuff min at xmas, plans could be reversed re arkle horses but for now at least I'd say they are happy enough with Yorkie.

Think it was mentioned earlier but don't be surprised if he ends up in the KG. If he jumps round clean at Cheltenham I personally think it's a real possibility. As for what this means with CC I don't know maybe not showing the same sparkle as last year. If he doesn't run well Saturday the above becomes even more likely.

I'm patting myself on the back for this call I wish I had backed my belief.

Back