Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Presenting Percy has the Davy Factor, I imagine DR has managed his racing programme all season .
Remember last year he won on Feb 25 to guarantee a place in Pertemps and got 16 pound hike in ratings, still managing to win, easily.
A bit like Forgive N Forget all those years ago but they don't have to change jockeys in RSA to get a more experienced pilot .
His run last Saturday will have educated him no end , as did his hurdles run to smarten his thinking when jumping.
As I posted previously, he was far too good a horse for Davy to waste running in NH Chase.
Were I a punter I would consider him the bet of the Festival. ( but I am not !!!)

Being the stopped clock that I am, right once or twice every blue moon month.
Boy I enjoyed that race above all others this week !!

Sod this. Abysmal from Invitation Only.

Winner has won with absolute ease. Don't think anything in that race is much cop.

It's seldom a bad race.

Considering how far she won and how clear Terrefort was from the third, I wouldn't rush to diss the form.

A lot of the tv people this morning seemed to be in on the knowledge regarding the winner.

Didn't think Invitation Only was running too badly until that mistake. Townend looked as though he was just putting him into the race.

Last edited:
Daryl looked to be holding on to more than he was approaching the second last.

I am far from sure throwing so much money at the 4 miler is a good idea. It has made that race much more gruelling with better horses in it .

Am I the only one finding Festivals wholly dominated by Mullins/Elliot a bit boring.

Daryl looked to be holding on to more than he was approaching the second last.

I am far from sure throwing so much money at the 4 miler is a good idea. It has made that race much more gruelling with better horses in it .

Am I the only one finding Festivals wholly dominated by Mullins/Elliot a bit boring.
I'm getting increasingly sick of it to be honest.

it may be boring to some but hasnt it changed a bit of the dynamic because there was a time where people wondered if trials in ireland were of any use and now its the other way as a lot of the better english races over the weakened have question marks over them come chelt because of quality of the opposition

such a strange contrast from years ago

just surprised they dont come over more during the regular english season but clearly there is also an element of training certain horses for the right day

The Flogas race at Leopardstown was touted here as one of the hottest races of the season.
The Storyteller was seventh there.
Enough said.
The English need to race more in Ireland through the season, better competition, better prizemoney.
The polarity of WPM and Gordon training 12 of the 14 Irish winners so far is a problem though

yes and thats a problem for handicapper. time will not prove storyteller to be best horse in the Flogas...much as he was definitely learning the game there but there were better horses ahead of him...but how do you rate those horses in behind then? you can't give them 152/153. his handicap mark of 147 was prob fair enough based on his runs to date.

Last edited:
He never really settled and had him written off quite a way out. However, he didn't look like he was stopping come up the hill - but can't see him ever getting near the winner, he rocketed away and looks different class entirely.

Horse was the same in the Flogas but nothing took him on for the lead so NF was able to settle him from the front that day. Thought connections might have been alive to this going into RSA but probably the downside of intensive schooling post his heavy fall at Christmas.

Have to agree with the above 2 comments in that he has a lot less mileage on the clock than the winner and on pedigree he is only going to get better with age and at 3 miles. Dam is from family of Be My Belle and Roses of Inchiquin.

Presenting Percy did him for toe, not stamina, just as Penhill did 12 months previously.

Presenting Percy was impressive and clearly loves Cheltenham but he will have to improve no end to get near Native River and Might Bite judging by his form with Our Duke.

Not that sympathetic though ! PP will find chasing those two a very different prospect to anything he has done before.
I think that is fairly clear but PP will be a second season chaser and is open to all kind of improvement and clearly shows his best in Prestbury Park, just please god for once we get all the main players there in one piece.

Back