Novice Hurdlers 2009/2010

Luck is the wrong word - but they might think they could do something different to make up less than two lengths. I would like to see them take on the older horses as it is usually a small enough field.

I agree we will definitely see him ridden differently as well.

I have to say I am a little annoyed at Fenton's comments saying they didn't enjoy luck on the day at Cheltenham - I'm not sure what race he watched, but luck played no part in Dunguib's defeat.

It is, and he is being more than a little arrogant using that term, and also going on and on about the Champion option.

I agree with you on where he most likely be ridden.

I have to say I am a little annoyed at Fenton's comments saying they didn't enjoy luck on the day at Cheltenham - I'm not sure what race he watched, but luck played no part in Dunguib's defeat.

perhaps he just doesnt want it to look as if he is having a go at o connell as well??Just looking for something else to say really

Annoyed at himself and O'Connell I suspect because they clearly tried to settle him in the Deloitte with the intention of doing the same at Cheltenham. That tactic backfired and i'm not saying he definitely would have won but if he's been sitting third coming round the bend he would have been a lot closer. He regularly took the running up a long way out in bumpers and outstayed and outsped everything. Dropping him out when he's a dodgy jumper was the safe option reliant on him truly being pegasus which he isn't...

I suspect Fenton is ruing his tactical decisions. Without Binocular or Khyber Kim I think any of the front three in the Supreme would have a great chance against their elders. Dunguib is pretty old anyway for a novice hurdler (older than Binocular).

Tell Massini reported as having a bacterial infection - so he has a good excuse for Friday's tame effort.

Dunguib wasn't good enough - end of story.

Seven go for grade 2 novice hurdle at Fairyhouse on Sunday,

Loose My Load
Luska Lad
Warne
Blackstairmountain
Mr Cracker
Start Me Up
Brosna Val

Morning Supreme goes for the mare's hurdle on the same card.

Last edited:
I wonder whether Dunguib will run in the novices at Punchestown. It would be much wiser than taking on the experienced hurdlers though sounds like Menorah is going over.

Really sweet on Luska Lad today, though evens looks to just about reflect his chance. If he touches 11/8 (looks doubtful - can see him being backed on course) I'll be having a right bet.

Mr Cracker looks too big at 20's.

Really sweet on Luska Lad today, though evens looks to just about reflect his chance. If he touches 11/8 (looks doubtful - can see him being backed on course) I'll be having a right bet.

Luska Lad was very tough there - you could see Ruby did not want to challenge him as early as he did but it just fell like that. Always felt LL had more to come.

Conditions looks seriously tough.

good stuff.

Best horse in the race for sure but style of racing might not suit in these conditions and over this trip.

I might have been right about conditions but not sure now she was necessarily the best horse in the race - For Bill was really impressive there. Lovely looking mare.

First two look serious mares. Will be interesting to see how the sectionals compare as I didn't think they went overly hard despite the conditions.

Fantastic for Donnie Sheehy ~ I'm not overly familiar with him but clearly a man who's been a great supporter of Irish racing for a very long time by all accounts.

Very impresssed with For Bill there - doubt they'll drop her back in trip again after that though she may be forced to try her hand in open races next season.

Morning Supreme got very tired late on - drop in trip required for her to be seen at her best, any chance of a trip to Punchestown?

Remember Mullins mentioning a Mares Hurdle there for Quevega last season so a possible for that or one of the Novices?

Morning Supreme got very tired late on - drop in trip required for her to be seen at her best, any chance of a trip to Punchestown?

Remember Mullins mentioning a Mares Hurdle there for Quevega last season so a possible for that or one of the Novices?

It will take a fair horse to come back and run to form at Punchestown after racing at Fairyhouse.

By Keith Hamer, Press Association Sport
Top-class novice Dunguib is set to take his chance in the Rabobank Champion Hurdle at Punchestown on Friday.
Trainer Philip Fenton has decided to take on the likes of Hurricane Fly, Solwhit and Punjabi rather than go for the Evening Herald Champion Novices' Hurdle on Tuesday.
"We're going to let him take his chance in Friday's race rather than Tuesday's novice hurdle," said the County Tipperary handler.
"I hear they have done a marvellous job with the watering up there and we've more chance of getting rain between now and Friday than between now and Tuesday."
Last season's leading bumper horse created a big impression when winning his first four starts over jumps before finishing third to Menorah in the Spinal Research Supreme Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham last month.

Back