Novice Hurdlers 2009/2010

Really glad for Brian O'Connell winning 2 races yesterday.

I couldn't watch morning line today - was there any fallout from McCririck's comments?
He slated amateur jockeys riding against pro's - O'Connell, Waley-Cohen but forgot to mention Rite of Passage's jockey (Robbie McNamara) who's brother was guest on the show.

Rather convenient.

There's a poll up on the RP online now to see if people want to see more or less of him. (Big Mac, not the lovely Andy Mac!)

Regarding Quel Esprit - has a horse ever fallen at the festival and then run again to win at the same meeting?

Yes - iirc, a few years ago didnt that nice little chestnut mare fall on the Tuesday and run again either Thurs or Friday?? (buggered if i can remember her name though - but she was Irish ??)

Gareth Southgate is a footballer, isn't he? Apart from that, I know nowt. Big Mac's okay - I'd hate them to be anodyne bores without any sense of fun. That's why I switched off RUK so often - Jeez, the endless over-earnest pontificating on every single damn horse, down to the chances of the 250-1 shots. No sightings of the horses, though - just talking heads. The bloody horses were behind them in the ring, but were we allowed to view them before the off? Oh, yes, that's right - for three seconds before a walloping great SP show got stuck all over them! (Mind you, ATR's fairly chronic with doing that, too.)

He wouldn't have lasted this long if his pantomime sexism was really objected to by his colleagues or the public. Think of him as racing's version of Widow Twankey - everything is oversized and over-emphasised. Among the silliness ("oh yes, it is!" "oh no, it isn't!") he still presents far more entertainingly than Taaarnyaar, McGrath or Down, who never engage with the public, is 500 x more knowledgeable than Lesley (not difficult, I realise), and does make perfectly cogent points when settling down to panel discussions. His concern over whip use is sincere and timely, for example, and he's one of few Ch.4 presenters able to talk at depth about the Levy and its impact.

It can't be a positive for any of the Mullins horses that he runs 4.

Am I mistaken or do Dr Massini's go well on good ground?

Najaf very interesting. Already rated 150 which must be nearly high enough to win.

Najaf an interesting horse for sure Hamm - wasn't overly impressive last time out but looks likely to improve for the step up in trip. Was a staying on third to Rock Noir and Jumbo Rio on his final French start though it's worth bearing in mind that that is his best run thus far and that it was the day before the sales (he cost a small fortune IIRC around 250k).

Yes, I agree, he's not rock solid but he has better form than the Mullins horses in front of him who are half the price.

Tell Massini's form looks very good after Wednesday, and I am beginning to come round to Rory's argument a week or so prior to the festival.

I'm a huge Tell Massini fan but I'm worried his running style won't suit a race such as this - he's a potential top class 3m chaser and that will be his game. Not sure of the strength of a lot of the Irish form but has to be a positive for Enterprise Park that Mullins put Quel Esprit in the 2m 5f race originally when todays event would have suited him far better.

Very happy with the Najaf place of 10, but had him at 30 something to win, as well as in an each way double with Soldatino and thought xmas was about to arrive!

That turned into a bit of a war! Hope those horses get up ok.

Up fine... :D Some goregous horses in that field today - Arvika L looks a giant of a 5 year old.

Berties Dream scores for a small Irish based trainer - great effort from Andrew Lynch to follow up from Sizing Europe.

Fenton now going on about possibly running in the Punchestown champion hurdle (not sure what correct title is) and will keep cards close to his chest before deciding on this or novice option.

Does someone want to tell him they couldn't even win novice option at Cheltenham so why in god's name would they go for anything else at the Punchestown festival?

Fenton now going on about possibly running in the Punchestown champion hurdle (not sure what correct title is) and will keep cards close to his chest before deciding on this or novice option.

Does someone want to tell him they couldn't even win novice option at Cheltenham so why in god's name would they go for anything else at the Punchestown festival?

Whichever way they go I guarantee Dunguib will not be dropped out as he has been in his last two races. Reading between the lines on Fenton's quotes I would say he realises they were over confident. Given how Dunguib was winning his bumpers last year and the fact he clearly stays 2 miles really well I expect they will have him handy all the way next time and send him on rounding the home turn at Punchestown. Hopefully Menorah will turn up because it will help the price and I also don't think he would beat Dunguib a second time.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't stick to the novice race at Punchestown.

I have to say I am a little annoyed at Fenton's comments saying they didn't enjoy luck on the day at Cheltenham - I'm not sure what race he watched, but luck played no part in Dunguib's defeat.

Back