Novice Hurdlers 2010-2011

Who are you talking about, guys?

The Howard Johnson horse that turned over Court in Motion . The latter was clearly below form though judging by the proximity of the third - that he beat out of sight a Warwick - perhaps he did not get the trip .

It's called Back In Focus, Grey - bought having won an Irish point, this was his - impressive! - debut under rules.

I was at Haydock today and have to say Back In Focus - what a horse!!

Looked great (and very big) in the preliminaries and even better on the track, one thing I would add to those thinking of Cheltenham wagers is that both his Maiden P2P victory and his victory today where gained on heavy ground.

Interesting interview with Brian Hughes post race who said that the horse was blowing 2 out and would improve a lot for the run!

Interesting... You couldn't help but be taken with him. He looks like being my bet in the AB Novice at the moment.

He'd be mine too tbh Steve - him and Global Power if they both turn up in the AB.

Think the AB is my kind of race - there'll likely be a few in at short prices that have only won over 2 1/2m or look unlikely to stay 3m and you can take a punt on a few at bigger prices with proven stamina.

Back In Focus won't be a bigger price but I'd be disappointed if Court In Motion beat him and BIF will be better when he sees a fence (presumably next season).

Day of a Lifetime has to beat these to earn a trip accross the water next month. Despite his indifferent jumping I think he's a roaring bet at 6/4 and will not start odds against at the off!
Will be having a look at the 20's on offer for the Supreme before he runs tomorrow. Betfair would suggest that the Supreme would be the preferred option. They think an awful lot of this fella at home.

With nearly all the trials done with, how do you see the Supreme shaping up? I'm against Cue Card for reasons stated on the Champion Hurdle thread, and think Henderson had a very strong hand, though I worry I fancy 5 of his horses in the first 3 races.

Any thoughts on horses definitely aimed at this?

I was at Haydock today and have to say Back In Focus - what a horse!!

Looked great (and very big) in the preliminaries and even better on the track, one thing I would add to those thinking of Cheltenham wagers is that both his Maiden P2P victory and his victory today where gained on heavy ground.

Interesting interview with Brian Hughes post race who said that the horse was blowing 2 out and would improve a lot for the run!

He looks a lovely prospect, true, but I hope that connections are patient with him as he still looks spare to me, he's a lot of strengthening and filling out yet to do. If he were mine I'd probably miss Cheltenham, take him to Aintree then put him away.

Thanks Grey - hope it's not too serious - he's still being backed on betfair so i'd say he'll be alright!:whistle:

Samain looked good there but nothing to much to sweat about!:ninja:

Listening to Willie Mullins on ATR this morning he hinted that Zaidpour may be left off until Punchestown.

He looks a lovely prospect, true, but I hope that connections are patient with him as he still looks spare to me, he's a lot of strengthening and filling out yet to do. If he were mine I'd probably miss Cheltenham, take him to Aintree then put him away.
Sounds a decent plan - there's a chance that he'll be seen to best effect on real soft ground in which case even the Sefton Novices at Aintree would likely be run on fast ground and they'd be better off putting him away for the year.

I was impressed with Storming Gale at Ffos Las on his rules debut so in the context of the 2m 5f and 3m novice hurdle division it will be interesting to see how he gets on up at Carlisle under a penalty tomorrow.

With nearly all the trials done with, how do you see the Supreme shaping up? I'm against Cue Card for reasons stated on the Champion Hurdle thread, and think Henderson had a very strong hand, though I worry I fancy 5 of his horses in the first 3 races.

Any thoughts on horses definitely aimed at this?

Cue Card is the clearest winner for me in this for many a long day... Even the greatest can end up getting chinned in this though.

While I am a big fan of So Young, the horse that stands out at the moment in the Neptune is Bob's Worth. I'm not sure what has happened for him to be 13/2. He won his trial really well, beating a top class field of novices, despite racing wide much of the way. Came up the hill like a dream, and looks all class.

While I am a big fan of So Young, the horse that stands out at the moment in the Neptune is Bob's Worth. I'm not sure what has happened for him to be 13/2. He won his trial really well, beating a top class field of novices, despite racing wide much of the way. Came up the hill like a dream, and looks all class.

Henderson has not committed him to the Neptune yet, that's all. His other one seems to be preferred... but as MC was beaten today (haven't seen it yet)...

Last edited:
Back