Novice Hurdlers 2010-2011

Cue Card goes straight to the festival.

That strikes me as bizarre . I can only assume he will be going for the Supreme - to run him in the CH without blooding him again against top opposition sounds like asking for trouble.

They said he would have one more run in February so presumably now tthey hink he has had two hard races. What's the betting on what race he goes for?

If they were intelligent it should be 1/5 he goes down the supreme route

They are entering him in three - the two mentioned above and the Sun Alliance (or whatever it is now). I would favour the 2m 5f race - he was pretty well put in his place yesterday by an injection of serious pace. Champion Bumper horses always seem more like staying types to me.

Which race would he go off shorter in? I would say the Supreme. There is no Zaidpour in the Supreme.

It's all relative though. If he reproduces Saturday's run, unless there's a real star in the Supreme, then he really should win it.

The trainer has previously said that Cue Card would go either for the Supreme or the Champion so the entry in the longer distance race is slightly surprising.

I thought the horse was a bit too keen for a long way yesterday and would be suited by a bigger field and a stronger pace. I agree with DJ that he's clearly entitled to win the Supreme. It would certainly be a big gamble to take on the big guns in the Champion itself.

Fuck it; go for the Champion. They might not get another chance again, and he is not far off the top. He hurdles well and would likely do better off a strong pace (I know Binocular and Menorah would too).

He's only 4, and this was his first battle.

Go for it.

Fuck it; go for the Champion. They might not get another chance again, and he is not far off the top. He hurdles well and would likely do better off a strong pace (I know Binocular and Menorah would too).

He's only 4, and this was his first battle.

Go for it.

Surely the fact he's only 4yo makes the Supreme the more sensible option, BTB?

I'm trying not to go too overboard about the Bula form, to be honest. I think you could just as easy rate the winner 155 as 165, and assuming Menorah goes straight to Cheltenham, I'd probably be slightly disappointed if he won the Champion Hurdle. I can't have Cue Card in the main event, but would expect him to be hard to beat in the opener.

I may have this horribly wrong, but given the conditions, I thought the race was Menorah's to lose on Saturday, and I'm clearly less blown-away by the performance than many.

I missed Zaidpour's run the last day,

Where is the confidence coming from that he's so good? Aside from the obvious connections etc...

Surely without another run, Cue Card is much too inexperienced for the Champion Hurdle.

Absolutely - after all Saturday was the first time he'd come off the bridle and it showed; he stuck his head up in the air and slightly to one side trying to work out what to do for a while before the penny dropped.

Absolutely - after all Saturday was the first time he'd come off the bridle and it showed; he stuck his head up in the air and slightly to one side trying to work out what to do for a while before the penny dropped.
He's done that on every single start - noticed it looking at replays. Something to be worried about long term, or just a quirk?

He's not come off the bridle before though, has he? I put it down entirely to greenness, not knowing what to do when coming off the snaff; interesting that you say he's done it every time.

Back