Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

Not many like Steps to Freedom which I hear good things about and has the basic form. Am I missing something?

Stepped up on his maiden win to Grade level without fuss. Although there are others in the race that excite me more he'd have to come into the reckoning. I wouldn't be put off too much.

Last edited:
I was so tempted to cream William Hills 9/2 at the start of the week. Big oppurtunity missed!

I was really impressed with CS earlier in the season and think the Montbazon form is good, I'll probably take these 2 in the opener.

I have a hunch this is the best of the English form as well. The royal bond looks the strongest of the Irish so I'll be backing Galileo's choice and Montbazon, particularly with the trends in their favour.

Had a look last night and the only angle I saw was Tetlami's price relative to Montbazon's. Presumably this is down to him being the perceived second string.

I will say again I think he should be favourite and don't understand why he isn't. Darlan has no form at all (a lot of what ifs) and Steps to Freedoms last Cheltenham win couldn't be working out worse. I am not sure the quicker ground will suit CS, Montbazon and Cinders and Ashes, and I am not a fan of the Irish form of Midnight game and Galileo's Choice.

Had a look last night and the only angle I saw was Tetlami's price relative to Montbazon's.

You say that as though Montbazon is a bad price though. Many seem to think he has been the value over the last couple of days.

For me there's been an angle in Montbazon's price at least relative to Darlan's tbh...

Last edited:
4/1 Darlan. Rediculous .playing for place money at best and then you'd be hoping for a concession of five places.would like to know if the money is jp's

For mine, Darlan couldn't have finished out of the first 4 lto - even the 2nd string finished runner up - and that form stacks up well in the context of a novice race.

I was wondering could Vulcanite run in the County if things don't go right in the supreme. Although with Paintball earning himself a place in the County, it's probably unlikely as Magnifique Etoile is there as well. Couldn't see Longsden sending 3.

For mine, Darlan couldn't have finished out of the first 4 lto - even the 2nd string finished runner up - and that form stacks up well in the context of a novice race.

Agreed he was going well.Have backed him 10s haven't laid off yet.Big question is how long will Mccoy be left on the bridle and what he finds

We know Darlan finds, you only have to look at his race against Jump City & High Storm where he had to battle hard for victory.

Before you question his ability by saying yeah he battled hard against horses with 3 legs well it goes to show you that the form book isn't gospel because the horse in theory couldn't have cantered over two Grade 1 winners on previous evidence.

The past is the past, you have to look forward in hope rather than in the past for security.

Well best of luck Reet, I couldn't think of a better all round forumite to be proved right about Darlan.

However, I'd like to ask who was GetMeOutOfHere second string to in the Trophy please? If he was just a second string, it was purely a token gesture that had to be made, and imo not too be taken too seriously. Him and Darlan were from different yards and GetMeOutOfHEre clearly had enough form to warrant being anyone's first pick, not least his win the race 2 years before.

If your taking AP McCoy's choice of rides as the holy grail that day, then just look at how he plumped for the Jonjo trained Sunnyhillhillboy at Cheltenham a few months earlier and finished nowhere, whilst the other JP runner Quantative Easing won for Henderson .

People seem to think Darlan would have won the Trophy, but they forget if you smack into a hurdle you'll not win a race like that. You could run the Trophy 100 times over and I reckon he would still have made the same error 90 percent of the time. He clearly ended GMOOH's chance of winning in the process who never made a mistake and was foot perfect the whole way.

As you say he 'would of' been in the four, hence he has a strong e/w chance and I wouldn't be place laying him here thats for sure. The bookies have him their book now which sounds like what they were gagging for, they'll rant and rave afterwards about they got hit so hard if he wins, which will entice punters for the rest of the meeting. I'm happy to be proved wrong and good luck if you've backed him, Reet.

Last edited:
Thanks, Marb; I hear what you're saying, but with close on a 5 figure win percentage at stake, I believe AP would have wanted to be on the one with the best chance.
More importantly, imo, a first 4 finish would still have put him in front of these, and who can say that he wouldn't have won anyway?

We know Darlan finds, you only have to look at his race against Jump City & High Storm where he had to battle hard for victory.

Before you question his ability by saying yeah he battled hard against horses with 3 legs well it goes to show you that the form book isn't gospel because the horse in theory couldn't have cantered over two Grade 1 winners on previous evidence.

The past is the past, you have to look forward in hope rather than in the past for security.

Very philosophical brucey
I'll be shouting him on or steps to freedom.......or allure of allusion

Last edited:
I'm probably gonna get ruined for it but I'm all over Dylan Ross tomorrow in the supreme. Meade knows what it takes to win the race, has always thought a lot of the horse from what he has said and I'm adamant the spring ground is just what he needs to see out his races. His form is actually decent and if people are willing to back Midnight Game at the prices they have to be looking at this old boy. I'm not sure anything will travel better than him bar Darlan and he has a lot of experience which is what you also need in the hustle and bustle of the race.

Midnight Game was my fancy since he beat Dylan Ross at Naas but the fact he worked badly the other day and Davy has chosen Trifolium instead is a huge worry. Allure of Illusion could run ok at a price but I'm completely perplexed by the Supreme. Beginning to think it's just a race to watch.

Russell has made some bad choices over the year Bobbyjo when choosing between two Gigginstowns

I read a tweet of him saying that Trifolium us the best novice in Ireland this year for the record

Back