Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

Anyone like the chances of Dylan Ross at the prices. Absolute bridle merchant but the spring ground is bound to help him and nothing will travel as well bar Darlan. At the worst you'll get a chance to trade out during the race and who knows...

I can't help but think everyone is writing of Darlan just because I've given him a big hype since his birth.

If any other less extravagant and thought provoking member of the forum put him up then Tanlic wouldn't have gone through his race video to look for any inch of negativity that he could use to go against the Darlan machine.

The fact this troll is saying he was hard ridden to get into contention and doubts the commentators words of "cantering" then backs it up by saying he was allowed to canter because of the slow pace shows you the underlining mission to grate away at forum members with some hidden agenda - sorry but coating your agenda in a post like that doesn't cut it with me/

Tanlic I'm surprised you didn't pick up on Darlan running around the bend with his right ear pricked when it should of been his left ear.

Although when Darlan wins the Supreme Novices you'll be the sort of person to say it was a slow race, the form horses didnt run up to their level, jockey on the runner up could of been closer if it was another jockey on board, trainers had a bad dip in form lately etc/

Hidden Agenda: are you mad?

All I know about you is you said he's the best horse in Nicky's yard and being honest they'd laugh you out of Seven Barrows making a statement like that.

I'm not the only one who picked up on the fact he's a bit soft and is highly unlikley to find much under pressure.

I was reading only yesterday despite him supposidly cantering and having loads left in the tank a top bookies said "We have left him at 12/1 because we are not sure he'd find much" That's down to what Barry Geharty said about him looking to be going better than he actually was when riding him in his race before the Betfair.

I've nothing against you at all I hope if my selection gets beat he wins for you I just don't think he will and you shouldn't take that personally this is a forum not a war room and no one is out to get you.

Troll with an agenda..I like that:lol:

Darlan is no bigger than 6/1 anywhere, Tanlic. You might want to contact your "top bookie" offering 12's to make sure he didn't get run over. ;)

I think Harington is a very hit and miss trainer-rarely back her horses.

her festival record reads quite well 6/38 since 2000 admit she seems to have periods in ireland when something seems amiss maybe to many horses in stable need better ground

but she has come into form the last few weeks 1/3 last festival with one unlucky horse

her percentages stand up with all the leading trainers

Don't take this the wrong way Steve but that post reads like you made a huge boo boo :blink:

I took 7/1 on Simonsig with Hills to win any race at the Festival. In recent days I've been taking any price I can get on Boston Bob for the Neptune. So although I'm now on both horses for the Neptune it's not such a bad position to be on both of them as I haven't lost any of my stake and whichever one wins I'll be in profit.

...if they both get beat I will have made a "huge boo boo", but not yet.;)

P.S. I've also had an each-way bet in the same race on Batonnier.

Last edited:
What are peoples' thoughts on Batonnier?

I don't think his form is anything like strong enough to take a hand against the likes of Simonsig and Boston Bob but have seen him well touted by others. I suppose the one thing he has in his favour is course form but that doesn't seem enough to justify his price.

Barry Geraghty on the Albert Bartlett: "Did a preview on Wednesday and Willie said that he wouldn't run Sous Les Cieux and Boston Bob in same race. So Boston Bob is 3m bound".

If he's correct and Boston Bob does run in the Potato Race, then 7/2 NRNB with Stan James will look incredible. That has to be smashed up, knowing that if he doesn't run you get your money back, and if he does he's a 7/4 shot at best, and quite likely shorter. I can't believe so many are laying 3s as well. Do they know something that we don't?!

Darlan is no bigger than 6/1 anywhere, Tanlic. You might want to contact your "top bookie" offering 12's to make sure he didn't get run over. ;)
No one was talking about right now I was talking about what was said within 2 days of the race Gonzo'''oops sorry Grassy

StanJames.com spokesman Rory Jiwani said: "What a comeback from AP McCoy. Darlan was travelling really well when he fell in the Betfair Hurdle.

"We're not sure what he finds for pressure so we held him at 12/1 for the Supreme but weight of money has led us to cut him to 10/1.

Totesport and Betfred cut Simonsig from 8/1 to 6/1 today for the Supreme Hurdle.
I think this was just because they went NRNB today so brings them in line with others still quoting him

Agreed that Boston Bob is too big for the Albert Tatlock and will have some of the 3/1 with Ladbrokes which is the highest NRNB price now SJ have cut to 11/4

No one was talking about right now I was talking about what was said within 2 days of the race Gonzo'''oops sorry Grassy

StanJames.com spokesman Rory Jiwani said: "What a comeback from AP McCoy. Darlan was travelling really well when he fell in the Betfair Hurdle.

"We're not sure what he finds for pressure so we held him at 12/1 for the Supreme but weight of money has led us to cut him to 10/1.

So, within the space of the last handful of days, he's halved in price and gone jolly for the Supreme.

"I'm not the only one who picked up on the fact he's a bit soft and is highly unlikley to find much under pressure."

On the contrary, given the betting profile over the last few days, it would seem you are somewhat isolated in having this viewpoint. At the very least, others are taking it into account, determining that reward outweighs risk, and taking the price (as it was) anyway.

What price would you be laying Darlan at? Anything in double-figures would see you knocked-over in the rush.

Price is always a matter of taste, but I think there are legitimate enough other reasons, for a gamble to have developed on the horse over the last few days. I don't think it's the lemming-walk you have inferred. :cool:

Last edited:
The reason for the gamble is simple. I can assure you it has nothing to do with kegimate form study. I'll give you all a clue. "His icey tenticals know no bounds". I've no doubt the horse is a false price and will be ran over in the Supreme.

Some of these races are starting to look a bit **** with all the defections. The Neptune a fortnight ago was Fingal Bay vs Simonsig vs Boston Bob. Cheltenham are gonna have to do something about the Novice events if Grands Crus doesn't run in the RSA to compound the Peddlers choke.

Some of these races are starting to look a bit **** with all the defections. The Neptune a fortnight ago was Fingal Bay vs Simonsig vs Boston Bob. Cheltenham are gonna have to do something about the Novice events if Grands Crus doesn't run in the RSA to compound the Peddlers choke.

It's a completely over hyped meeting.

The reason for the gamble is simple. I can assure you it has nothing to do with kegimate form study. I'll give you all a clue. "His icey tenticals know no bounds". I've no doubt the horse is a false price and will be ran over in the Supreme.

Darlan is JP's best bet for Cheltenham according to page 9 of today's Irish racing Post. Who'd have thought it...

If the novice route was good enough for Arkle and Denman it ought to be good enough for Grands Cru.

So, within the space of the last handful of days, he's halved in price and gone jolly for the Supreme.

"I'm not the only one who picked up on the fact he's a bit soft and is highly unlikley to find much under pressure."

On the contrary, given the betting profile over the last few days, it would seem you are somewhat isolated in having this viewpoint. At the very least, others are taking it into account, determining that reward outweighs risk, and taking the price (as it was) anyway.

What price would you be laying Darlan at? Anything in double-figures would see you knocked-over in the rush.

Price is always a matter of taste, but I think there are legitimate enough other reasons, for a gamble to have developed on the horse over the last few days. I don't think it's the lemming-walk you have inferred. :cool:

Certainly not JP who's backing him as he doesn't bet Ante Post these days.

The Betfair Hurdle was run on the 17th of the month and there wasn't 2 bob for him after the race. A couple of bookies cut him to 10/1 but then a couple shoved him back out to 12/1

Then Simonsig dropped out and everything was cut and the bookies made him favourite. There was a few quid for him on Betfair but how much of that was small bookies money? They are a dab hand at backing to lay back to punters.

I have to agree with Slim Grassy don't believe everything you see. He could very easily be a false fav Henderson JP AP is a great recipe but the meal isn't always what you expect.

I think he could be a bluffing gambler. Will travel well, look like winning then fold.

Talking of Darroun, I've just backed Edeymi in the Fred Winter at 14/1. Has nice form in behind Darroun and won well enough last time to get a decent handicap mark for the race. Trained by the shrewd Tony Martin and Aga Khan horses have a terrific record in this race, having won twice (Shamayoun and Dabiroun) and the other one came second (Ashkazar). Edeymi also comes from a decent hurdling family being closely related to Ebaziyan and Ebadiyan. I think he'll go well in this.

tony martins uk record and especially at the festival is dire in recent seasons

fred winter very hard to solve

edeyami is not a bad choice nethertheless

another that links with darroun and shadow leader that could go well is argocat

JP's best bet is Darlan.

Sorry I shouldn't of wrote that with this big grin on my face but I do find it funny that Tanlic thinks Darlan is an average horse.

When Darlan goes chasing he'll be even better and surpass the likes of Sprinter Sacre who won't be winning no Arkle on the bridle and will be caught for pressure than a failed Aintree will mean trying to pick up his reputation next season as Darlan scoots past in the pecking order!

Sorry but JP, Henderson, McCoy and B.Savage know their onions and the volume of support speaks for itself - notice that Henderson hasn't been doing much speaking despite the market..

You should look for information that isn't there rather than the baltent obvious.

Certainly not JP who's backing him as he doesn't bet Ante Post these days.

The Betfair Hurdle was run on the 17th of the month and there wasn't 2 bob for him after the race. A couple of bookies cut him to 10/1 but then a couple shoved him back out to 12/1

Then Simonsig dropped out and everything was cut and the bookies made him favourite. There was a few quid for him on Betfair but how much of that was small bookies money? They are a dab hand at backing to lay back to punters.

I have to agree with Slim Grassy don't believe everything you see. He could very easily be a false fav Henderson JP AP is a great recipe but the meal isn't always what you expect.

I think he could be a bluffing gambler. Will travel well, look like winning then fold.

I suspect that people were waiting to see if he was injured before backing Darlan after the Betfair.

Back