Novice Hurdlers 2017/2018

Just before the stable tours come out and we see Fayoonagh tomorrow, here is a list of Elliotts top hurdling prospects

Not too shabby

Samcro, Fayoonagh, lucky Pass, blow by blow, Moonbeg Worldwide, Roli Poi, Rapid Escape and Miracle in Medinah

Throw into the mix whatever summer shopping GIGI have done

From what I've heard you can add Azua Emery and Choungaya to that list who are Gigginstown horses.

I'm wondering how much the loss that Ryanair will make from the cancelled flights episode will affect the Gigginstown operation, or is it self financing ?

Last edited:
From what I've heard you can add Azua Emery to that list who is a Gigginstown horse.

I'm wondering how much the loss that Ryanair will make from the cancelled flights episode will affect the Gigginstown operation, or is it self financing ?

Their stated aim is to break even at absolute best on the horses

Time for Michael to leave the airline game, his days of bullying and autocracy are outdated. He can just bully trainers from here on in

I believe that Scarpeta is the first horse for Thurloe Thoroughbreds with Willie.

Was a tough sort with Johnston on the level and progeny of SOF are going well in NH sphere.

To put all this into perspective, there are at least 40 youngish horses new to Closutton for this season. They have come from the flat, France and PtP amongst other sources but the majority were expensive and are qualified for novice hurdles. One or two that were acquired last season are already in the Cheltenham markets but the majority have not yet done any serious work and no-one knows how good they are both comparatively and in absolute terms.

Other big yards have similarly stocked up and picking the Cheltenham winners at this stage makes locating a needle in a haystack look like child's play.

A few taking performances over the weekend:

Fayonagh looked to really enjoy herself and jumped slickly. Will take a decent mare to beat her and she’ll hold her own against the boys if she gets the chance

The novice at Fontwell looked above average and was taken with Chosen Path. Held up, he looked to be travelling best for the last 3/4 mile even though he was very green. Would expect him to come on bundles and could be exciting

The last one is Palmers Hill at Uttoxeter on Sunday. I think he cost £300k+ after winning a point (previously beaten by the ill-fated Flemenshill). Was quite a short price fav overnight but drifted on track, but that did not stop him in the race. Jumped well, travelled all over his rivals, but ultimately had to work harder than looked likely to win. He could be very good but is definitely not a dark one

Cracking Smart is one of the quieter novice hurdle prospects in the Elliot yard, but commands plenty of respect, imo.

He was a faller on his only start in the French provinces over hurdles; staying on, and still with every chance when coming to grief at the last, before being bought by Gigginstown. After joining Elliot, he ran well for a long way in a Naas maiden hurdle in February, before fitness (and perhaps stamina) told, and he followed that up with an emphatic win in an ordinary Fairyhouse Bumper in May.

Cracking Smart is a half-brother to Great Field, and this might be the yard novice for the Supreme, springing Samcro to go for the Ballymore Hurdle....though I've taken fancy prices in both races, just in case (avg 92/1 and 53/1 respectively on BF).

I like this one's profile, and if everything goes smoothly, I think he can make his presence felt at the top-end.

Last edited:
Elliot (in his ATR stable tour) says Cracking Smart is more of a staying chaser in the making, PJ, which is fair enough, as he did finish his bumper strongly. On that basis, it's possible that the Ballymore is more likely to develop as a target - though being related to GF, he might not lack a bit of toe either.

Will see how it goes.

Got to start fishing somewhere in the pond, Bonjers. The key is in not falling out of the boat too early. :lol:

Last edited:
Got to start fishing somewhere in the pond, Bonjers. The key is in not falling out of the boat too early. [emoji38]
Indeed! Dortmund Park one that interests me and Lucky Pass is back after a season on the mend.

Sadly think Fayonagh is destined for the Mares.

Back