Novice Hurdlers 2017/2018

Surprised to see Ruby on Fabulous Saga again given Robin Des Forets was hugely impressive last time out.

Have him backed for all three novices at Festival, but you’d have to think the Albert Bartlett would be the target now. He’s gone 16/1 jolly for that , I’ve a shade over 25/1 on Betfair - about the only thing I’ve done right in the last few weeks.

There isn't a 3m novice hurler around that will be able to bottom him, PJ. :ninja:

Giggi love Festival winners, and go with an army to Cheltenham every year. Hard to believe they wouldn't put a horse like Cracking Smart on the boat, if he continues on this kind of curve.

I was out yesterday and only able to follow the cracking smart race on betfair exchange. He traded a good bit higher than his SP throughout, and abvoe 2/1 at stages. Wondering was he looking uncomfortable at times or was it more down to how the Mullins pair travelled as both of them were trading lower than their SP in running?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Speedo Boy was all over the shop, stumbled at a vital time, looked like he wanted to knock his rivals over going to the last but when he picked up the race was over very quickly.

He could be a novice to keep on the right side of and run up a sequence

Fabulous Saga allowed to build-up big lead on first circuit. Cracking Smart wasn't fluent at a few on the final circuit, was very briefly shaken-up 4 out, and pecked two-out with Robin De Foret still going well, but he picked-up very quickly and went away from RDF in good style.

Last edited:
Quick question to the experts: I saw Kalashnikov scoot the novices hurdle at Wetherby on Saturday (easy 10 lengths), but he "only" beat the 124-rated second. The time of the race was two seconds slower than the mares hurdle on the same card. Is this a case of waiting to see how good he is, given that the likes of Samcro are already rated at 146? Or is he one that could fly under the radar like Altior in his novice hurdle season? I'm assuming that Kalashnikov is now rated around 135.

I think there's a fair amount of guesswork involved in novice ratings this early in the season, Len. Some are boosted by reputation, price-tag, trainer or owner-profile, and others under-rated for the same reasons.

DO, would probably dispute that Altior was under the radar. He was barking that one's name from early on.

I see Altior was only rated 136 after his 34-length demolition at Chepstow in October 2015. Wasn't it EC1 who first alerted us to his promise?

Btw, Altior has now won 11 races on the bounce.

Back