Older Flat Horses 2010

Cutlass Bay was beaten in a Turkish Group 2 today. Things really haven't worked out at Godolphin for a horse I thought would be one of the stars of the season.

Wasn't given the best ride in fairness, he was trapped in a pocket at a crucial moment.

Even so....

Is there not a case for saying this was a horse with a reputation based on his handler more than his actual form? So he beat Cavalryman last year, so what? Seems to me that he may have won that particular contest because the latter didn't act on the very deep ground that day. I'm not convinced he was ever that good.

Both Calvaryman and Cutlass Bay were grossly over rated - Cutlass Bay's form does not hold up full stop while Calvaryman was flattered to get so close to Sea The Stars in the Arc with it being an odd race with a few horses running below form in behind. I do not think either than regressed that much.

This would be good to see...

ARAZAN IN THE FRAME FOR COMEBACK
By Ashley Iveson, Press Association Sport
John Oxx will decide later this week whether to let Arazan make his long-awaited return to action in the Solonaway Stakes at the Curragh on Sunday.
The four-year-old won two of his three starts as a juvenile in 2008, his only defeat coming at the hands of Mastercraftsman in the National Stakes almost exactly two years ago.
A number of setbacks have seen him off the track since and Oxx will only let his charge return to the track if he believes he will do himself justice.
Arazan had been a leading contender for the 2000 Guineas won by stablemate Sea The Stars last year before he was ruled out of the race.
"He'll work again this week and we'll make a decision about him then," Oxx told At The Races.
"It's two years since he's run and it's very difficult for a horse to come back and retain all of his old ability when he's had a couple of doses of pneumonia.
"It would be a lot to expect him to come back to his old form and we'll have to decide whether he is in a position to go and run.
"He's been in good health, looks terrific and he has this wonderful temperament.
"He goes out and does his work just the same as two years ago and just the same as before the Guineas last year, he's just such a willing horse.
"He's surprised me that he's got this far actually, but whether he can show his true ability, there is a bit of a question mark there.
"I wouldn't want to run him if he's not operating at the full level he was once able to do.
"I'm not certain he's going to make the track but we'll probably make our minds up on Thursday."

Gan Amhras who was third behind Sea The Stars in last season's 2000 Guineas runs in a conditions race at Listowel today. A very disappointing season from a horse that promised so much in the early part of last year.

Derrinstown runner up Address Unknown and a nice Ballydoyle maiden winner Clearwater Bay go in the same race.

Gan Amhras who was third behind Sea The Stars in last season's 2000 Guineas runs in a conditions race at Listowel today. A very disappointing season from a horse that promised so much in the early part of last year.

Derrinstown runner up Address Unknown and a nice Ballydoyle maiden winner Clearwater Bay go in the same race.

Gan Amhras finished 7th of 8, beaten 30.5 lengths by Clearwater Bay.

A mention for Crystal Capella, who I have long been a big, big fan of. Thought she ran to 120/121 on Saturday, and think she's right up there with the best fillies in training. I remember backing her in a handicap at York off a mark of 80, which i think was one of Kerrin McEvoy's last winners in the UK. A lovely horse with a great attitude, and I think she is so lightly raced, there is even more improvement to come. I think she'd win the Filly and Mare race at the Breeders Cup, whether Midday turns up or not, though I think next stop is Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Nice filly but no chance of beating Midday . HK much wiser even without the supplement costs . If they had been keen they could have taken her to Canada .

Crystal Capella is a very good filly. I agree with Hamm that she put up a Group 1 performance in winning on Saturday. Such a shame she seems so difficult to train. Remember she gave weight and a beating to Dar Re Mei on her 2009 reappearance. She's 123 with Timeform btw.

Cheers DJ. 123 seems fair and probably right (the form looks very solid with the next 3) but I think she's capable of more.

I think there is every reason to think she can and would beat Midday.

Midday slapped the Grand Prix de St Cloud winner and the Arc third in the Prix Vermeille and murdered a G1 field at both York and Goodwood . Barshiba could never get near her on either occasion but was not far back on Saturday . CC is a very good filly but would not trouble Midday .

Last edited:
No mention of Hong Kong and Paco Boy's swansong on here? Crystal Capella in the Vase and no surprise given my comments above about her I'm pretty sweet on her chances.

Back