Older Horses 2011

He's obviously a bit of a nutter and more than a little bitter but he makes some good points. Remember that they have bookmakers in Australia too....

Australian sports people are well known for their good Grace :whistle:

I don't think they have any bookies in Aus , it's all the tote, can't remember what they call it.

If he had said that the big breeders affected the quality of racing he might have had a point as I don't think we're really sure who owns what potential stallion and they spend a lot time avoiding each other. I don't think this would happen if the top horses where spread around.

You should send that info on to Bart I'm sure he would appreciate it.

racebart@bigpond.net.au

Number of horses rated over 125 in the year end World Thoroughbred Rankings in the past three years:

Ireland 8
Great Britain 5
USA 5
France 3
Australia 1 (now trained in Ireland!)
Japan 1

has it been discussed elsewhere? just reading that winker watson is back in training, with channon this time who apparently owns a share in him, and the july cup is the target... ?!

has it been discussed elsewhere? just reading that winker watson is back in training, with channon this time who apparently owns a share in him, and the july cup is the target... ?!

Apparently there's nothing wrong with him breeding wise, just that the owners wanted to have a bit of fun with him and he'll be back at stud next year. Perhaps he's not been that popular with breeders? I'm sure Environment Friend combined racing/covering for a couple of seasons.

Cape Blanco runs on first time Lasix and takes on Gio Ponti on Saturday at Belmont Park. Gio Ponti 2/1 is going for three in a row in this race with Cape Blanco around 5/2 in the betting and will surely be positively ridden in this race. Ground was firm yesterday.

$600,000 Man o' War Stakes (gr. IT, Race 9, 5:17 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 3/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Mission Approved (NY), J L Espinoza, 123, N Chatterpaul
2. Bearpath (KY), F Lenclud, 116, I R Wilkes
3. Boisterous (KY), J R Velazquez, 116, C R McGaughey III
4. Al Khali (KY), A Garcia, 118, W I Mott
5. Gio Ponti (KY), R A Dominguez, 120, C Clement
6. Nownownow (KY), E S Prado, 116, P L Biancone
7. Cape Blanco (IRE), J P Spencer, 120, A P O'Brien

Fairly competitive field with not a lot to chose between the horses and you could make a case for five of them. This is a G1 handicap so I would expect a blanket finish.

The pace up front should suit Gio Ponti and I expect him to win. He got a bad ride in his last race and I doubt if connections will keep him so far back this time. He needs good or firm ground to be seen at his best. Cape Blanco beat him in Dubai but I am not sure if Cape Blanco has gone from there based on his prior runs in France and Ascot. He is on Lasix but you never know with Spencer as he will probably have to be ridden from the front or thereabouts.

Lots of rain today in New York but going should still be good/firm as it dries out so quickly with the temperatures.

What a preposterous price Dick Turpin was - should have been 11-10 .

He was clearly wrong at Newbury and Longchamp and his Sandown thrashing of Cityscape read very well . Won with loads up his sleeve giving weight and had they gone a good gallop would have won much more easily .

Fairly competitive field with not a lot to chose between the horses and you could make a case for five of them. This is a G1 handicap so I would expect a blanket finish.

The pace up front should suit Gio Ponti and I expect him to win. He got a bad ride in his last race and I doubt if connections will keep him so far back this time. He needs good or firm ground to be seen at his best. Cape Blanco beat him in Dubai but I am not sure if Cape Blanco has gone from there based on his prior runs in France and Ascot. He is on Lasix but you never know with Spencer as he will probably have to be ridden from the front or thereabouts.

Lots of rain today in New York but going should still be good/firm as it dries out so quickly with the temperatures.

My mates a friend of the jockey of Gio Ponti and they fancy him today - personally from a tote ten to follow monthly prize point of view I need Cape Blanco especially as Dick Turpin did the business today - I may end up cursing Memory at the end of the month.:)

What time is the race?

What a preposterous price Dick Turpin was - should have been 11-10 .

He was clearly wrong at Newbury and Longchamp and his Sandown thrashing of Cityscape read very well . Won with loads up his sleeve giving weight and had they gone a good gallop would have won much more easily .

Not really - he should have been either 1/2 or 5/1 - no way of the general public knowing if he was over what bothered him the past 2 runs.

Not really - he should have been either 1/2 or 5/1 - no way of the general public knowing if he was over what bothered him the past 2 runs.

Except that the first time was quick ground and the second running him far too soon over what also was quick ground .

The run at Ascot made me side with Gio Ponti @ 15/8. Delighted for Spencer. He's on an upward curve again.

Back