Outsider picks for Cheltenham

Two for me - not convinced the first one will appreciate the trip but he's a very very decent horse in the making IMO, Yes Way Hosay of Roy Wilson's, won a p2p impressively last year and was very keen on him for a Wexford Bumper last November since when he's been put away with this in mind. Yes Way Hosay is currently at 25/1 chance.

Divapour @ 66/1 in the Supreme Novices is huge for a horse that comes from a top yard (albeit one over the channel) that regularly produces high quality youngsters. Normally these are sold on but he's kept hold of this one who's unbeaten 3/3 in France at RH Pau and who comes into this with a rating equivalent to 141 in the UK, he was also a useful handicapper on the flat where he's currently rated in the 90's. Has plenty in his favour this one!

Martin

Saphir River's too big in the Pertemps, it's been pointed out to me. This is his intended race and he finished 2nd last time in a Grade 1 at Auteuil. He was beaten a nose by Spirit Son as a juvenile, beating Barbatos in the same race and has plenty of other decent form in the book. He could be very well treated off 139 and well worth a few quid at the 20/1 currently available.

Jonjo will be hoping there will be at least a little rain between now and Friday the ground is truly good to soft.

There's good reason to think Synchronised will be outclassed in the Gold Cup. The Lexus form looks pretty ordinary when you take the simple view Rubi Light failed to stay 3 miles. However if you consider that 1/2 a mile from Jonjo's charge was cantering all over the top of him perhaps it was a better performance that he has been given credit for.

As far as Kauto Star is concerend we'd all love to see him win but the truth is even Ruby will be surprised if he can pull it off. When asked if he would win by Paddy Power he replied "Probably Not". His set back the hill his age there are too many things against him. He'd defy gravity Kuato but even this may be too much to ask.

Long Run looks the most likely winner but under pressure he simply loses the plot and Ruby will be out to exploit that.

Jonjo doesn't run them in Gold Cups or Champion Hurdles (GMOOH) is proof of that unless he thinks they are up to it. The thing that really swings me is his Lexus win over 3 miles when he's known to be better the further he goes. Racing round Cheltenham's 3m2f is like adding 1/2 a mile to the Lexus and he'll love every yard of it.

Jonjo says he's in the bet form of his life for this but won't think twice about withdrawing him if the ground is dead against him. If he does run I would be happy to back him. He looks the best outsider of the meeting to me.

Isn't there a forecast for heavy rain on the Friday, although whether it may not be in time to soften the ground or, what is more likely will miss the track completely? Perhaps that is what Jonjo is watching out for.

I think Mon Mome e/w in the Handicap Chase on Tuesday and Star of Angels in the Pertemps on Thursday. Don't bet in advance though, so won't be backing them until the day(s).

Get a room the lot of ye.....this isnt a place for agreement. Its a place to belittle and rubbish each others selections.

He has no chance, (insert trainers name) has a terrible record, couldnt train ivy up a wall, (insert Jockeys name) is woeful on these, hel get him beat 30 lengths. He wont (insert stay/have the pace) for this trip. He (insert Jumps poorly/balloons his hurdles) and it will find him out around here.

Both Alfie Sherrin (33/1) and Pentiffic (25/1) are overpriced in tomorrow's JLT Specialty Handicap Chase.

Last edited:
Both Alfie Sherrin (33/1) and Pentiffic (25/1) are overpriced in tomorrow's JLT Specialty Handicap Chase.

How did Pentiffic earn his rating of 124?

By beating Charminster by 3.25l in receipt of 13lbs and finishing a neck behind Lexicon Lad giving 4lbs.

Has since been comprehensibly beat on all outings.

How did Alfie Sherrin earn his rating of 128?

Beating Kockavilla 7l in receipt of 6lbs at Wetherby, whose subsequent form since has been PU4PU78 - Beaten a total of 173l

How did Pentiffic earn his rating of 124?

By beating Charminster by 3.25l in receipt of 13lbs and finishing a neck behind Lexicon Lad giving 4lbs.

Has since been comprehensibly beat on all outings.

How did Alfie Sherrin earn his rating of 128?

Beating Kockavilla 7l in receipt of 6lbs at Wetherby, whose subsequent form since has been PU4PU78 - Beaten a total of 173l

Exactly Bruce...

Back