Paddy Power Gold Cup

It would not be the Paddy Power Chase if David Johnson did not have it off on one of his horses.

To be fair, there are hundreds of amateurs who are one hundred times worse than Sam Waley-Cohen. I think he's unfairly maligned considering that he is, after all, an amateur jockey - yet one of the better ones riding.

You took the words out of my mouth there, Shadow. There are much worse amateur riders around.

I think the concern from the other forumites is that an amateur will be aboard for this particular race.

Fair bit of money around for Mad Max in this. He'll be close to top weight, but with the attentions of Barry Geraghty I assume. Potential to start a lot shorter than the current 12s if taking his chance. He has a very sexy profile.

How close would he have gone in the Arkle had he not nearly come down two out?

Last edited:
Fair bit of money around for Mad Max in this. He'll be close to top weight, but with the attentions of Barry Geraghty I assume. Potential to start a lot shorter than the current 12s if taking his chance. He has a very sexy profile.

Im turned on....

POQUELIN has been assigned top weight for the Paddy Power Gold Cup on Saturday, November 13, with the PaulNicholls-trained seven-year-old facing the prospect of carrying 11st 12lb.

Second in the Old Roan Chase to Monet's Garden on his last start, Poquelin would have to concede 6lb to his nearest rival and ante-post favourite Long Run, who is a 7-2 chance for the Grade 3 race.

Amateur rider Sam Waley-Cohen will be renewing his partnership with Long Run, who was third in the RSA Chase at last year's Cheltenham Festival, and he is confident of his mount's chance.
He said: "If he's running off around eleven and a half stone in the Paddy Power Gold Cup, that's a perfectly respectable racing weight, especially as I can claim and in all of the previous races that I've ridden him, I haven't been able to so that's a big boost.
"He's only a five-year-old but he's a big, strong horse so he's perfectly capable of carrying weight and if Poquelin did come out, it wouldn't be a disaster.
"He jumped a few poles in the indoor school on Monday and was absolutely excellent and seems to remember how to jump. It was the firsttime that he has jumped since the Cheltenham Festival and he seemed better than he has ever been.
"He'll be asked to jump a fence again but it does just depend on the rain and I'll definitely be involved in that. As soon as thereis a bit more rain, he'll be doing that.
"He has done incredibly well over the summer and has come back more mature, both physically and mentally. As he gets fitter and asked to do more, he is not as buzzed up as he once was and I'm very excited at renewing the partnership.
"While the Paddy Power is a very competitive race, if he can put together his best form and get a clear run on the day, he is going to take plenty of beating."
Last year's winner Tranquil Sea, who won the contest off 10st 13lb, has been allotted 11st 5lb this year, and trainer Edward O'Grady could also berepresented by Osana (11st 2lb) and Catch Me (1ost 5b).
Edgbriar made a successful seasonal return at Cheltenham last month under Dominic Elsworth for Paul Webber, who has yet to commit to the race.
The trainer said: "The Paddy Power Gold Cup is definitely an option for Edgbriar as things stand. Dominic [Elsworth] schooled him on Tuesday morning and we haven't entirely made out mind up whether to return to Cheltenham or save him until the Becher or Grand Sefton Chase at Aintree the following week.
"It's a balance between going back to Cheltenham with a horse who obviously loves the course and running him in a race that might be too hot for him. He would probably be favourite for either of the Aintree races if he went there, whereas he is currently a 20-1 chance for Cheltenham.
"He would be racing off a cracking weight [1ost 7lb] in the Paddy Power Gold Cup but we will just have to wait and have a look what the potential line-up might be."

Last edited:
Poquelin (FR) P. F. Nicholls 11st 12lb
Long Run (FR) N. J. Henderson 11st 6lb
Tranquil Sea (IRE) E. J. O'Grady, Ireland 11st 5lb
Noland P. F. Nicholls 11st 5lb
Mad Max (IRE) N. J. Henderson 11st 5lb
Duc de Regniere (FR) N. J. Henderson 11st 4lb
Massini's Maguire (IRE) D. E. Pipe 11st 3lb
Chaninbar (FR) M. F. Harris 11st 3lb
Osana (FR) E. J. O'Grady, Ireland 11st 2lb
Riverside Theatre N. J. Henderson 11st 2lb
I'msingingtheblues (IRE) D. E. Pipe 11st 2lb
Scotsirish (IRE) W. P. Mullins, Ireland 11st 1lb
Free World (FR) P. F. Nicholls 11st 0lb
Weird Al (IRE) Ian Williams 11st 0lb
Finger Onthe Pulse (IRE) T. J. Taaffe, Ireland 10st 11lb
Tchico Polos (FR) P. F. Nicholls 10st 10lb
Gwanako (FR) P. F. Nicholls 10st 10lb
From Dawn To Dusk P. J. Hobbs 10st 9lb
Panjo Bere (FR) G. L. Moore 10st 9lb
The Package D. E. Pipe 10st 9lb
Little Josh (IRE) N. A. Twiston-Davies 10st 8lb
The Sawyer (BEL) R. H. Buckler 10st 8lb
See U Bob (IRE) Paul Nolan, Ireland 10st 7lb
Hills of Aran W. K. Goldsworthy 10st 7lb
Nozic (FR) N. J. Gifford 10st 7lb
Can't Buy Time (IRE) Jonjo O'Neill 10st 7lb
Edgbriar (FR) P. R. Webber 10st 7lb
Tatenen (FR) R. Rowe 10st 5lb
Catch Me (GER) E. J. O'Grady, Ireland 10st 5lb
Noble Alan (GER) N. G. Richards 10st 5lb
Dancing Tornado (IRE) M. Hourigan, Ireland 10st 4lb
Great Endeavour (IRE) D. E. Pipe 10st 4lb
Fiendish Flame (IRE) D. McCain Jnr 10st 2lb
Forzy Origny (FR) N. J. Henderson 10st 2lb
Prince de Beauchene (FR) J. Howard Johnson 10st 2lb
Sunnyhillboy (IRE) Jonjo O'Neill 10st 1lb
Passato (GER) Miss J. S. Davis 10st 1lb
Awesome George A. King 10st 0lb
Fisher Bridge (IRE) N. Meade, Ireland 10st 0lb

I've backed Mad Max at 12's. Pretty confident he'll line up provided the ground is ok and I think his performance in the manifesto was one of the best novice chase performances last year.

Warming more and more to Mad Max - missed the better prices but still happy to take the current 8 or 9/1. If Long Run wins this then I got him wrong but just not sure this will be his track to shine on.

I agree about Mad Max - if they have sorted his wind out he could be a monster on his Manifesto Chase win and the blinder he was running before trying to demolish the old second last a few months early !

This renewal is different gravy to the last few runnings. We're not talking Billyvoddan or Tartak heading the weights here. And for that reason I think Great Endeavour and Catch Me have been overbet on their profiles and sexy marks. It's between Long Run and Mad Max and I've backed them both.

I've had a really good look at this race and must admit to being baffled. A seriously good renewal and one to be watched and savoured and not bet on IMO but then again I am a windy fuc@"r especially where these big early season handicaps are concerned. I could pick six and still not feel reasonably confident I had the winner.:confused:

I wonder has the great man played. He usually likes trying to land a touch but the only real market move for the horse was when the couch tipped him in the RP.

If long run is to be a top notch grade 1 horse he really should be winning this. I also like Great Endeavour in it, but I wont be punting any of them.

I had forgotten about the stress Sam WC causes me - seeing him repeatedly talking to winning jockey 2 out when he should have kicked clear rather than sitting still, and how he took the last, would give you anything but confidence for Long Run.

I think he'll be ok. I seem to remember Sam Thomas riding like a nobhead on everything but Denman the year he won the Gold Cup.

Back