Paddy Power Gold Cup

Long Run jumped poorly at several fences (looked good when he met one perfectly). For me he is definitely a horse that will prefer a flat track but two big loses now in two big races.

Needs a flat track IMO Gearoid though he didn't look like the horse we saw at Kempton or Warwick last season - he was still getting in close to his fences rather than knocking straight through them as others have suggested he did in March.

That Weird Al bet of yours looks good though ;)

Agree Jinny - sounds like Brennan is on his way out of NTD's too from what i've heard, this can only add speed to his exit.

Long Run didnt jump a fence today. Is it time for the owner to jock his son off and put a pro on board just to see if he jumps better for them, see a better stride etc??? Because if he does than what Waley Cohen is arguably now is just 'stopping' the horse from winning.

I thought he jumped poorly, but it was disappointing that he was not exactly hacking all over the field between his fences.

Long Run didnt jump a fence today. Is it time for the owner to jock his son off and put a pro on board just to see if he jumps better for them, see a better stride etc??? Because if he does than what Waley Cohen is arguably now is just 'stopping' the horse from winning.

pocket talk?

Like McGrath said he doesn't accelerate on landing, very disappointing. Kempton will suit him better but I can't really see him troubling Nacarat or Sizing Europe, never mind Kauto.

I think that's a bit harsh. The King George looks a bit unlikely at this stage but this was his first race of the season on possibly a track that doesn't suit him.

Kauto Star was hardly the perfect racehorse as soon as he set foot over here.

I think that's a bit harsh. The King George looks a bit unlikely at this stage but this was his first race of the season on possibly a track that doesn't suit him.

Kauto Star was hardly the perfect racehorse as soon as he set foot over here.

i always find it easier to admit when i'm wrong..rather than making any excuse for actually being wrong

not many people ever admit they are wrong..so don't learn for the future

its the jock..its the track..its the ground

maybe its the horse?

I dont see how Long Run can win this King george after today, he will have the same jockey and he will not claim the 5 pounds.

Kauto is regressing but will have to look other place to find the horse to beat him at Kmp.

I think others have summed up Long Run in the fact that he jumps better on a flatter track. Some horses just don't have the confidence to jump a course like Cheltenham at that sort of pace whereas at Kempton, as its flat, they can keep jumping within their rhythm. I don't think its anything to do with the jockeys ability and at the end of the day its his father's horse so he is entitled to ride it.

Kauto didn't look to have regressed when he won last time out beating horses who were race-fit.

Lets be honest - he jumped like a pig at Kempton as well but looked to have a huge engine. Today he looked pretty disappointing to me and it was not just his jumping.

Lets be honest - he jumped like a pig at Kempton as well but looked to have a huge engine. Today he looked pretty disappointing to me and it was not just his jumping.

the jumping has always been a problem..will get away with it in small weakish events but against seasoned jumpers is going to struggle

i think the horse has been vastly overrated by punters tbh

Tbh Gal today he didn't look like the horse i've been watching for the past 2 1/2 years - no idea what happened over the summer (presume he spent it at Upton Viva Stud) but it didn't appear to me to have done him a lot of good.

We'll see next time out but very disappointing today.

Best comment post race. I've been a big fan but his while his jumping was poor, I'm not sure I could put it down to just that. He looked almost overtrained though.

Best comment post race. I've been a big fan but his while his jumping was poor, I'm not sure I could put it down to just that. He looked almost overtrained though.

overtrained now:)

anything bar..well i overrated that one..i got that wrong

:)

suppose its better than blaming jock

i'm struggling to see why the jock is that much of a prob Will tbh..the horse has expectations he can't meet imo

Seems incapable of presenting the horse to a fence and when the horse inevitably fails to put himself right and gets in too close he's at the buckle end hailing a cab more often than not.

I'm not saying for a second that he cost Long Run the race today, but at the same time it's not very often you see a horse blunder its way around Cheltenham and storm up the hill is it?

Seems incapable of presenting the horse to a fence and when the horse inevitably fails to put himself right and gets in too close he's at the buckle end hailing a cab more often than not.

I'm not saying for a second that he cost Long Run the race today, but at the same time it's not very often you see a horse blunder its way around Cheltenham and storm up the hill is it?

i wouldn't say he stormed up the hill

i just feel i'm reading a litany of excuses tbh...the horses wasn't good enough and has been way overrated

Last edited:
Absolutely EC,

How could such confidence be justified after he was well beaten at Festival in March...a competitive handicap off 11.6?

Easy to say in hindsight, of course, but ultimate talking horse. If he was Irish trained, people would rightly be queueing up to laugh

overtrained now:)

anything bar..well i overrated that one..i got that wrong

:)

suppose its better than blaming jock

I didn't say that and please stop trying to put words in my
Mouth. I made and make no excuses.

Back