Planning Ahead....

Ballydoyle

At the Start
Its the big 50 next year and hubby has suggested a trip away so I have been thinking that a nice midweek break taking in a bit of racing would be just about perfect :)

Trouble is where to go?!

Dont really fancy a big meeting like a Derby or Guineas etc and would be much happier visiting a good viewing course with a bit of atmosphere, plus some culture around the area.

Cant be too long away (dog responsibilities!) but a couple of nights should be fine in the right location.

So suggestions welcome for courses either UK or Ireland - trying to avoid anything Southern England as we have visited most courses down here.

Thanks in advance!!

Killarney or Listowel in August/September. Recommended either highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auteuil, for the Grande Steeplechase de Paris, Ballydoyle. Easier and quicker to get to than most Irish tracks.

Don't even hesitate - book it now.

Last edited:
The three-day Perth meeting in late April, or any of the other spring meetings there. Do have a wander around the arboretum at Scone Palace before racing

Cartmel and the Lake District, staying at the Midland Hotel, Morecambe. Don't forget the obligatory photo by Eric Morecambe's statue

The three-day Perth meeting in late April, or any of the other spring meetings there. Do have a wander around the arboretum at Scone Palace before racing

Cartmel and the Lake District, staying at the Midland Hotel, Morecambe. Don't forget the obligatory photo by Eric Morecambe's statue
!
Both those sounds interesting - my nan was born in Morcambe! And birthday is in April so Perth is a tie in too :)

Auteuil, for the Grande Steeplechase de Paris, Ballydoyle. Easier and quicker to get to than most Irish tracks.

Don't even hesitate - book it now.

Interesting as it sounds its not one that would be on our lists - but thanks for offering it!

I loved my visit to Hexham in 2016 and took in Hadrian's Wall, Lindisfarne and Durham while I was in the area. I then went north to Perth by an inland route and really enjoyed that too. That whole borders region is atmospheric and beautiful.

In Ireland 6, 7 and 8 September would give you Laytown, Down Royal/Kilbeggan and Navan/Wexford. The following week, Listowel's big meeting runs into Irish Champions weekend.

http://www.goracing.ie/hri/fixtures/fixture-list.pdf

Last edited:
Kelso; you could stay in the Borders, take the train up to Edinburgh. If I could [also tied down with dog] I'd love to go back to Ireland as I want to go whale watching off the west coast. And revisit Roundstone. And the National Stud there is fantastic.

Back