Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2011

The fact that only one horse could pass the second Aga Khan filly despite the fact that she was in that position throughout suggests the form is run of the mill.

The winner is a class act no doubt

Sarafina and SYT were given terrible rides

The rest are all a bit meh.

They've actually got SYT on 133 and Snow Fairy on 128.

thats quite big difference really..i thought i were being kind to SYT allowing 3lb for that last win over SF

what i would like to know is if it had been sarafina winning by 5 i wonder what her rating would have been

Last edited:
SF and SYT weren't even close to being good enough on the day Steve..that wasn't weight that made a difference there..the winner is just a lot better on the day than any of them

I disagree. The winner and the runner-up got 11lb from SYT who was beaten just over five lengths and was given too much ground to make up.

I'd doubt that anyone would want to call Danedream a European/World middle distance champion, but we might want to call SYT that.

I wonder if today's result will see a change in the WFA allowance? There is no way that Shareta is the second best 12f horse in that race. She was too close to a fast pace and yet only one animal could pass her - for me the weight she got must have made a difference.

I disagree. The winner and the runner-up got 11lb from SYT who was beaten just over five lengths and was given too much ground to make up.

I'd doubt that anyone would want to call Danedream a European/World middle distance champion, but we might want to call SYT that.

how can you have too much ground to make up in a fast run race?..it suits the closers..not those in front

in my mind there is no weight difference..as sex and wfa are there for a reason..a reason you want to ignore..which is your prerogative of course;)

I wonder if today's result will see a change in the WFA allowance? There is no way that Shareta is the second best 12f horse in that race. She was too close to a fast pace and yet only one animal could pass her - for me the weight she got must have made a difference.

you want to change the wfa scale on the back of 1 horse in how many hunderds of years..you sure?

in my mind there is no weight difference..as sex and wfa are there for a reason..a reason you want to ignore..which is your prerogative of course;)

The WFA is plainly wrong when a horse who has never won a Group 1 and is used as a pacemaker can come second.

Youmzain also did this as a 3year old. Discuss.

Well, Youmzain was a group 1 class horse handled by a Group 3 class trainer. He was programmed terrible that year and I'm sure a better handler would have had one in the bag before the Arc.

Glad I was at Belmont to see CB yesterday instead of Longchamp today!

Interesting result though. Don't think SYT has any real excuses, he was pretty much on Danedream's flanks as she came through and didn't go with her. She may have got an easier trip through the pack but he would never have got to her.

Last edited:
Amazing result, well done to those who backed her. I don't understand some of the jockey bashing to be honest. I didn't think there were any hard luck stories and she won easily. The draw helped as she had a dream run through the race.

An amazing time as well.

Last edited:
I don't understand some of the jockey bashing to be honest.

An amazing time as well.

Well, I was on one after Sole Power admittedly but the history of the race suggests being at the back on the outside is not the place to be. Lemaire surely had to take a pull and at least try and get nearer the rail.

The draw helped as she had a dream run through the race.

Would you like to explain how the draw helped Hiruno D'Amour, Testosterone, Galikova, Masked Marvel, Reliable Man And Workforce? They make up three quarters of the low half of the draw. All finished in the last 8.

My worst Arc weekend ever. Just two winners and a spate of seconds that feels more like flattery than hard luck.

Would you like to explain how the draw helped Hiruno D'Amour, Testosterone, Galikova, Masked Marvel, Reliable Man And Workforce? They make up three quarters of the low half of the draw. All finished in the last 8.
Quite.

It's always the same when the "wrong" horse, with the wrong pedigree, bred by the wrong people, sold for the wrong price, trained in the wrong country, wins a major Group 1.

People are merely looking for excuses to explain their casual disregard for Danedream's chances in their prognostications before the race.

If one of the favourites had won, they'd be hailing it as a great champion, one of the best we've seen.

You could argue that SYT might have scraped second with a better draw and ride, but apart from that, Danedream won a truly run race, against genuine top class opposition, on a fair surface, in record time, in brilliant fashion, just like an outstanding Group 1 horse should.

It's not as if there was a muddling pace, or the course was like a bog, or she was the only 3-y-o in the race, or all the other horses kept bumping into one another, or were all harbouring a virus, or were all running over the wrong trip, or she was the only one with the right dosage/nicking/horoscope.

Quite.

It's always the same when the "wrong" horse, with the wrong pedigree, bred by the wrong people, sold for the wrong price, trained in the wrong country, wins a major Group 1.

People are merely looking for excuses to explain their casual disregard for Danedream's chances in their prognostications before the race.

If one of the favourites had won, they'd be hailing it as a great champion, one of the best we've seen.

You could argue that SYT might have scraped second with a better draw and ride, but apart from that, Danedream won a truly run race, against genuine top class opposition, on a fair surface, in record time, in brilliant fashion, just like an outstanding Group 1 horse should.

It's not as if there was a muddling pace, or the course was like a bog, or she was the only 3-y-o in the race, or all the other horses kept bumping into one another, or were all harbouring a virus, or were all running over the wrong trip, or she was the only one with the right dosage/nicking/horoscope.

post of the month/year - wonderful stuff

you should post more :cool:

Back