Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2012

Soumillon did everything right the horse just was going too well. Obviously got serious kinks.

Surely there are no excuses for Orfevre? He was beaten fair and square. Ran a great race but met a better horse, at least on that ground. :confused:

Surely there are no excuses for Orfevre? He was beaten fair and square. Ran a great race but met a better horse, at least on that ground. :confused:

He had to cover more ground because of where he was drawn. If he'd been tracking from the inside he would have had more left at the end and easily held on.

Wide draw/decent ground - Orfevre wins

Inside draw/heavy ground - Orfevre wins

It was only the combination of wide draw and the heavy ground that beat him.

And smashing into the rail just before the line... Just seen it on ATR, difficult to know whether it made the difference though.

He had to cover more ground because of where he was drawn. If he'd been tracking from the inside he would have had more left at the end and easily held on.

Wide draw/decent ground - Orfevre wins

Inside draw/heavy ground - Orfevre wins

It was only the combination of wide draw and the heavy ground that beat him.

I just thought the ground had him beat. He'd got over his draw position and was well clear of his field then hung badly because he wasn't enjoying the ground. His acceleration was fantastic and he's clearly some horse. I guess I'd have a different opinion if I'd backed him.

I just thought the ground had him beat. He'd got over his draw position and was well clear of his field then hung badly because he wasn't enjoying the ground. His acceleration was fantastic and he's clearly some horse. I guess I'd have a different opinion if I'd backed him.

I never backed him he is the best horse in that race by a long shot.

getting over the draw position wastes energy though

to me he should have won ...a bit quirky...i don't want to overplay the draw but even half a length disadvantage makes all the difference in races at this level

Back