Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2013

I see it unlikely
if they were half thinking they would have made the entry
he is a very good hrose and this year looks a weak edition at the moment, but style of racing not ideal

I dont think he will run.

Sunday Independent has a news item that Hannons thinking about running Sky Lantern in Arc.

Utterly ridiculous, she'd get lapped. Why do the Hannon's suggest this nonsense when there is plenty of G1 races against her own sex?

I cannot see why Sky Lantern should be written off on form ? The Hannons seem to attract a great deal of snobbery .

For myself , I find the idea that a horse by Red Clubs out of Shawanni will stay 12f at Group 1 level unlikely but not impossible.

I really love the ante-post market for this race and this year's renewal is no exception.
I can see less than 10 horses who can be considered contenders at this point and there are a few of them I am not interested in.

Intello looks to me as a perfect Champion st contender. Arc's winners usually haven't got as much speed in their female family.
Al Kazeem looks solid and he's got a lot of things going on for him , but he looks exposed to me and I doubt he is going to be good enough for the race.
Orfevre breathing problems can be a blessing in disguise and he will be a fresh horse by October. Risky proposition at current odds. Too soon to get involved now.
Treve. Her trainer doesn't seem very keen on the race for her and they look keen on selling her instead. Weak filly on looks. Hard to see her winning an Arc for me.
I agree with Euro on Sky Hunter. Interesting horse. I backed him for the race before the Jockey Club.
I am not sure Gentildonna has trained on and Gold Ship seems unlikely to race this year. Novellist needs to improve.
The horse I am most excited about for the race right now is Flintshire. He doesn't like soft. Huge scope. He looks very serious and I've been backing him lately at 30+ on the exchanges. Cannot wait for the GP Paris.

The horse I am most excited about for the race right now is Flintshire. He doesn't like soft. Huge scope. He looks very serious and I've been backing him lately at 30+ on the exchanges. Cannot wait for the GP Paris.

See him as the main danger to SH if Orfevre misses the race.

Flintshire will be the best of the French horses (possibly European) IMO - form franked in the German Derby yesterday too.

He certainly holds Ocovango on a line through Park Reel.

I'm excited about seeing Sky Hunter over 12f but at the prices they both need to be backed really.

HorseWeightRatingPrioritéOwnerTrainerPurse1Excess Knowledge Gb M.Ps. 3 A.58*** KHALID ABDULLAHJ. GOSDEN14.6712FLINTSHIRE GB M.PS. 3 A.58*** KHALID ABDULLAHA. FABRE (S)59.3003MANNDAWI M.PS. 3 a.58480 H.H. AGA KHANA.DE ROYER DUPRE24.2504MASIYANN M.PS. 3 a.58*** S.A. AGA KHANA.DE ROYER DUPRE15.5005Park Reel M.Ps. 3 A.58485 GERARD AUGUSTIN-NORMANDE. LELLOUCHE114.6006Max Dynamite M.Ps. 3 A.58490 . ECURIE HARAS DE QUETIEVILLEJ. VAN HANDENHOVE36.3507OCOVANGO GB M.PS. 3 A.58515 PRCE A. FAISALA. FABRE (S)159.0718MILANO BLUES M.PS. 3 a.58350 JEAN GUILLEMINB.DE MONTZEY34.9009BATTLE OF MARENGO IRE M.PS. 3 A.58*** . M.TABOR/D.SMITH/MME J.MAGNIERAP. O'BRIEN339.78110Festive Cheer (Fr) M.Ps. 3 A.58*** . M.TABOR/D.SMITH/MME J.MAGNIERAP. O'BRIEN133.05011Mars Ire M.Ps. 3 A.58*** . M.TABOR/D.SMITH/MME J.MAGNIERAP. O'BRIEN110.74612LYKASTOS (IRE) M.PS. 3 a.58435 LEONIDAS MARINOPOULOSC. LAFFON-PARIAS47.30013HIGH SPIRIT IRE M.PS. 3 a.58*** . MD BLOODSTOCK LIMITEDMME P. BRANDT10.00014FLYING THE FLAG IRE M.PS. 3 A.58*** . MME MAGNIER/M.TABOR/D.SMITHAP. O'BRIEN79.60015AU REVOIR IRE M.PS. 3 A.58*** . OTI MANAGEMENT PTY LTDA. FABRE (S)51.05016WILLIE THE WHIPPER GB M.PS. 3 A.58*** . QATAR RACING LIMITEDMME A. DUFFIELD80.58017JEE PEE AND JEREMY M.PS. 3 a.58285 JEAN-PIERRE VANDEN HEEDEMME P. BRANDT1.25018SINGING M.PS. 3 a.

Sky hunter misses the GP Paris. I'd be very disappointed if Flintshire cannot beat that lot.

Al Kazeem (6), 127+ good season, maybe some hard races but a break can refresh him for the Arc, some doubts about the jockey for an Arc, 12f should not be a problem and the same with good ground but some doubts if it is soft.

Intello (7 ), 125p, very good 3yo, needs good ground, Messidor and Jacques Le Marois look a very unusual campaign for an Arc winner, some stamina doubts , too short at the prices.

Orfevre (7), 130+$ best horse in the field, what happened last year is something is still something hard to believe for me, recent setback is a concern and maybe he will go to the Arc straight, the hood in the race could be a help, at the moment he is the most likely winner if he makes the line up, no ground problems and Soumilon likely to ride. Also note significant he has not been retired as a stallion and this race looks the reason for that.

Treve (10), 120p, lightly raced, impressive in the Diane and likely to stay 12f, time on her side despite not having so much physical scope, Vermeille can be a good trial and there we will see if she is a real contender, 10/1 is not bad but my feeling is she will find at 2 too good for her.

Trading Leather (12), 118+, good or firm looks a must, won a substandard Irish Derby and on what looks his next targets he will be cooked in October, poor chance.

Flintshire (16), 116p, lightly raced, good pedigree, improving and GP de Paris will show us if he is a new Rail Link, fast ground looks the key and could be the improver in the field, the price is fine but has to improve a stone on known form.

Gentildonna (16), 121 (125), top class japanesse fillie, impressive form in Japan last year, a little bit disappointing in her 2 runs this season, good ground should be the key but if owners aim her for this race with such a career record and pedigree and owning Orfevre they must the world of her, 16/1 looks a good price and one for the short list.

Kizuna (16), 122+*, the top 3yo colt in Japan, another Deep Impact, has an impressive turn of foot and looks top class, the figure is provisional and I want to see how 3yo perform against the older horses before adjusting it, another with a chance.

Ocovango (16), 116p, another of Fabre stable, well regarded by Monsun likely to be suited by soft ground, runs this Saturday in the GPP and that will be ideal race before the Niel to run in the Arc, I think he is not good enough but can not be discounted completely at the moment.

Ruler Of The World(16), 119, lightly raced Derby winner with a very good pedigree, some doubts about the form, he could have found the ground too firm at the Curragh and should be given one more chance but at the moment I think he is not good enough.

Sky Lantern (16), 120+. good run in the Jockey Club, the fact he is not in the GPP and in a Vichy listed says it all for me, his main target shoud be the GP Deavilly and is not good enough for an Arc.

Novellist (20), 122p top class german horse, 7 out of 9 is a very good strike rate, and the form is solid and improving steadily, on pedigree he should be a 4yo despite not being big, the fact they are thinking in the King George makes me think maybe he was not fully fit at St Cloud, on soft ground he has a chance.

Remote (20), 117Pt, unlikely runner, unlikely stayer, good horse in the making but not for this Arc.

St Nicholas Abbey (20), 128, operating at his best being a 6yo and with 21 runs, the positive tactics look working, needs fast ground and his record is better left handed, I would aim him to the BC and JC rather than here but can be placed and the price looks too big for his form,

Snow Fairy (25) , 124 top class globetrotting mare, plagged by injuries, 10f and good ground ideal conditions, unlikely runner.

Hillstar (33), 116p, improved 3yo, scope and lightly raced, trained by Stoute , unlikely runner and looks a 4yo in the making.

Romantica 119++, I rate her much higher than the handicappers, fast ground is the key, I think she is top class, unlikely runner being a mare and owned by Abdullah.

Summing up, maybe the best 2 horses are not running in Gold Ship and Cirrus Des Aigles,
Orfevre some doubts with the bleeding.
At the moment I don’t have any bets and nothing tempt me at the prices but the short list:
Orfevre
Kizuna
Gentildonna
Novellist, if the ground is soft.

Last edited:
Sky Latern (16), good run in the Jockey Club, the fact he is not in the GPP and in a Vichy listed says it all for me, his main target shoud be the GP Deavilly and is not good enough for an Arc.

Fabre took in the Vichy race with Masterstroke last year so presumably he sees it as a nice stepping stone for the Arc.

As for the Grand Prix, at this stage Flintshire and Ocovango have more to prove than Sky Hunter (the former class and the latter stamina) so it makes sense that if one was gonna go for a different, easier race it'd be SH.

I can see your optimism
But the only positive for the horse is that he can run because Sheik Mohamed doesnt have another one to run in this between his 2000 horses.

Other than that if Fabre thought he were good enough he would run on Saturday in the gr1.

Last edited:
We'll see. For me his excellent run in the JC pretty much proves he is good enough to be a leading contender given the improvement he'll surely find stepped up in trip.

Flintshire will be the best of the French horses (possibly European) IMO - form franked in the German Derby yesterday too.

A chance to find out on Saturday. They’re taking each other on in the Grand Prix, with Battle Of Marengo to keep them honest.

Guyon on Flintshire, Boudot on Ocovango and Prat on Au Revoir, for Fabre.

1 121 Flintshire 3 9-2 A Fabre Maxime Guyon — 122

2 314 Manndawi 3 9-2 A De Royer-Dupre Christophe-Patrice Lemaire — 116

3 2-2222 Park Reel 3 9-2 E Lellouche Gregory Benoist — 122

4 -13478 Max Dynamite 3 9-2 J Van Handenhove Antoine Hamelin — 121

5 1-115 Ocovango 3 9-2 A Fabre Pierre-Charles Boudot — 129

6 1-1142 Battle Of Marengo 3 9-2 A P O´Brien Joseph O'Brien — 130

7 4-3411 Au Revoir 3 9-2 A Fabre Flavien Prat — 115

8 1-431 Singing 3 9-2 C Laffon-Parias Olivier Peslier — 103

Last edited:
Back