Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe

I think the only apt comparison are the 3yo fillies that won the race. Of those Zarkava and Treve had your usual French break in the middle of the season as did Danedream really, with only one run in July and August.

on a scale of 1 to 10, how intriguing do you flatties make this years renewal

4 maybe, Its not doing much for me I'll be honest and our other two premier 1m 4f races The Derby and The King George and QE stakes are always my favourite races of the season.

I'm more looking forward to the Ayr Gold Cup this weekend I'd say

If we get Ulysses, Winter and Cracksman also lining up then that's plenty to like, even if you could question the trip with some mentioned.

This year though it is all about one horse.
No three year old colt has cut mustard over this trip and Cracksman has yet to win a Group 1.
The older brigade is thin enough at 125 plus so far.
Should anything other that Enable win it will be considered a poor enough Arc methinks.
My only doubt about her is the fact that she was pulling her way around the paddock at York with two handlers and that was not her at The Curragh what ever about her previous runs so the question is her season behind her ?
Of Last year's placed horses Highland reel needs quick ground to run his race and Order Of St George is no better this year than last .
Is the Arc the same race away from Longchamp ?
For all that it is, as Art says, the best flat race in Europe but this year might fall a little flat.
Good ground or better a must for the race.

Is the Arc the same race away from Longchamp ?

I think that's key. Many people opposing Enable are doing so on the basis the Arc has a history of short priced favorites getting turned over but as everybody knows, a bad draw/passage at Longchamp and chances can be lost in the blink of an eye.

Chantilly not so much and anything above even money is pretty generous IMHO. That said I may just watch her crown a great season and look for an e/w angle in the race.

As far as probabilities go, I think Enable has the best chance and is definitely a worthy favourite, but the race has always been tough to win if you've been on the go all summer and some each way betting at longer odds is the order of the day.

any place to check the sp of all the winners in one page?

wondering how many odds on runners have been in the last 40 years

Depends on Industry odds or parimutuel Suny.
Remember Deep Impact 1.10 on PM while odds against with bookies.
Add in coupling on PM and sure that a few Sheikh Mohammed/ Godolphin runners could have been odds on a few years.
otherwise very few odds on years in my memory since Nijinsky 1970.

any place to check the sp of all the winners in one page?

wondering how many odds on runners have been in the last 40 years

Troy, Generous, Montjeu....all have something in common!

Sea the Stars was also odds-on.

Last edited:
Sea The Stars hardly had a quiet campaign either . I know suny thought he ran well below his best in the Arc but still was good enough to win .

What is the ground like at Chantilly ? Highland Reel is the horse I would consider the biggest threat to Enable on good ground .

So what's the score with Cracksman then? Is he:

A/ {As I suspect) simply not good enough?
B/ As his Trainer suggests. needs more time?
C/ Enable really is the outstanding filly Frankie would have us believe?

Sea The Stars hardly had a quiet campaign either . I know suny thought he ran well below his best in the Arc but still was good enough to win .

He had a massive class advantage, ran maybe half a stone below his best. Enable hasn't that luxury.

So what's the score with Cracksman then? Is he:

A/ {As I suspect) simply not good enough?
B/ As his Trainer suggests. needs more time?
C/ Enable really is the outstanding filly Frankie would have us believe?

No.
No.
She still has to go and do it.

I reckon the only way they can beat her is if Frankie gives her a worse ride than Lester gave Park Top but I doubt if Frankie could be that bad even on his worst day.

I honestly think people are looking for something thats not there. If it had been good Ulysses might have got closer as he is clearly a quality animal but she's going to hump them provided she gets a decent sit in the race.

I should qualify this though by saying that I haven't lumped on her this time, though I will back her on the day but not to huge amounts.

Back