Punchestown 2022

As good as Annie Power was she was a mare who was in the right place at the right time.

She was the queen of the mares at the time and had never raced against the best of the boys at the minimum trip

The New One had won a deseperate CH Trial at Haydock and looked like he would go off favourite for the Champion Hurdle

It ended up a desperate affair, possible the worst since Sublimity with My Tent Or Your taking 2nd place having been off the track for 2 years.

She then reverted back to 2m4f at Aintree won and retired.

Comparing her ratings or achievment with Honeysuckles is complete nonsense.

How you end up witha rating depends what you beat at the time and they can be misleading

Does anyone actually believe that Master Minded was a better horse than Kauto Star and Denman when he beat the overrated VPU?

Common sense should tell you instantly that Honeysuckle was different gravy to Annie Power who won one of the worst Champion Hurdles in history.

Annie Power one the grand total of ONE Grade 1 over 2 miles Honeysuckle has won 12 Grade 1 hurdles over 2 miles.

Chalk and Cheese

Last edited:
A Footnote.

Why DO uses RPR when 90% of others use OR or Timeform beats the hell out of me.

That aside Annie Power's OR going into the CH was 162 her RPR was 162

She ended up with a 166 OR but for some unknown reason a 170 RPR.

I'm not into ratings that often but I would have Honeysuckle at least 7 lbs ahead of Annie Power

Anyone think honey will be retired?

For personal reasons I hope not.

If she were to beat Constitution Hill then win at Punchestown that would be another 550,000 Pounds in for the season.

If she's fit and well I reckon there's a chance they would go for that elusive 4th CH win.

I know there's a risk of injury but sadly Magic of Light died today after giving birth to her first foal.

Yes, a very good read ��. See you soon in Kilbeggan or Ballinrobe or similar.

A good read that.

I should probably check out De Paper's racing coverage a bit more.

Edit: Is there a specific day the examiner has a lot of racing coverage?

Last edited:
Have a lay down.

You ask a question .....one takes some time and puts some thought into it and because you disagree
you become if not abusive, sarcastic. The forum doesn't need ignorant posters like you so why don't you just **** off.

You are what's called a BAITER and you are a MASTER at it

Last edited:
Just to come back to Allaho etc, I've now run the videos of that race and the 2m5f race on the same card from the first fence in the latter race.

With that race being a classy valuable handicap, I'd expect them to go strongly and, given how they were fairly well spread out early, I'd suspect it was a well-run race.

I'd also expect a G1 3m race to just about match it for pace.

It looks to me like the handicap was between four and six lengths faster over fences 2, 3 and 4 in that race and it was only on the run away from the stands, across the dirt path and on to the next that Allaho closed the gap down. After that, Allaho turned the taps on and over the next several fences pulled up to 15 lengths clear but from the fence before the home turn to the line the handicap was closing it down until it was only a couple of lengths at the line.

This would appear to back up my initial impression and why I asked the question what were the jockeys doing allowing Allaho a soft lead. They weren't going fast at all in the first mile and G1 chasers should have been comfortable at 2m5f handicap pace. It was the middle mile that decided the race. That was when Allaho injected real pace and only CDO could go with him.

I suspect, too, that to an extent the rest of the field weren't quite at their best, maybe the season catching up with them.

But Allaho turned it into a two and a half mile race and played to his own strengths.

Imvho...

Simon Rowlands doesn't go into much detail but you'd presume it is backed up by his figures.

"But if you want one highlight above all others, and arguably the highlight of the entire season, it has to be Allaho ’s schooling of an assortment of high-class staying chasers in the Punchestown Gold Cup on the Wednesday.
The manner in which Allaho achieved his victory was deeply impressive, if not unexpected to those paying attention to the grief he had been inflicting on the pick of the two-and-a-half mile crop.
“Go fast, keep going, and bottom those who try to live with you” might have been the instruction."

https://m.attheraces.com/blogs/sect...2022/guineas-reaction-and-allaho-appreciation

Last edited:
Back