Punchestown 2022

pigsback.com have a discount on Punchestown Race tickets until midnight tomorrow night.
30Euro gets you entry with a fiver betting voucher, saving 20 Euro or so, open ticket valid any day.

I wasn't planning on going but how can I turn down two tickets for €60. Thanks for posting.

Novices for Novices Nicky has always said. I will be shocked if he can't talk MB out of this craziness.
I predict this is just another attempt by the media to create additional interest

Constitution Hill has had only 4 runs in his life and one of them was a p2p.
What he needs is another easy race at most then a long holiday to allow him to fully mature.

Epatante just put up one of the best erformances of her life and she deserves another crack at Honeysuckly while
Constitution Hill can take on whatever Willie runs in the Novice.

Novices for Novices Nicky has always said. I will be shocked if he can't talk MB out of this craziness.
I predict this is just another attempt by the media to create additional interest

Constitution Hill has had only 4 runs in his life and one of them was a p2p.
What he needs is another easy race at most then a long holiday to allow him to fully mature.

Epatante just put up one of the best erformances of her life and she deserves another crack at Honeysuckly while
Constitution Hill can take on whatever Willie runs in the Novice.

Boring B*****d:D

Last edited:
100,000 bonus it's worth taking her on.

He'll win a lot more than that over his career if they don't ruin him though Outsider. He just doesn't need this race so early in his career.

A summer at grass, then three or four more races for experience before he takes her on is the route any sensible trainer would take.

It won't happen, despite the Paddy Power publicity stunt.

He'll win a lot more than that over his career if they don't ruin him though Outsider. He just doesn't need this race so early in his career.

A summer at grass, then three or four more races for experience before he takes her on is the route any sensible trainer would take.

A strained tendon? Three years of abortive comebacks? Die wondering?

Complete B******s:D

Alderbrook
Royal Gait
Thistlecrack
Coneygree
Noble Yeats

All won biggies as novices, the best horses should be running in the best races not fannying about with novice races

This is where the Flat beats the jumps, you only get 1 novice season on the flat then the good uns have to run in the big races

Even Lyric Fantasy and Kingsgate Native won the Nunthorpe as 2yr olds

Cut the crap Nicky and let it happen:)

You might also wrap up this CH within the ‘Horse Welfare’ thread. I’m conflicted, tbh. What a race this would be; truly a race for the ages. Constitution Hill would win by 5-10 lengths too, and we would shake our collective heads in disbelief, whilst screaming “Flippin’ Ada!”, or something like that. But...is this what we really want for an “on the verge of greatness” novice hurdler right now? As Tanlic says, we could wait less than a year for it to happen at Cheltenham.

We also know that Hendo is very protective of his horses, and he’ll remember Sprinter Sacre’s 2013 Spring campaign at Cheltenham-Aintree-Punchestown, and whether that contributed to SS pulling up with his heart problems in the December of that year. Or do we accept that horses do go wrong, and that NOW is the time to let the two take each other on? Neither horse ran at Aintree - both will have had a six-week break after Cheltenham. I’d love for it to happen, but I’m also concerned for a novice hurdler.

Last edited:
Len: Why the concern for a horse you believe is about 7.5L superior? Is it purely the word 'novice' as a suffix?

Alderbrook
Royal Gait
Thistlecrack
Coneygree
Noble Yeats

All won biggies as novices, the best horses should be running in the best races not fannying about with novice races

This is where the Flat beats the jumps, you only get 1 novice season on the flat then the good uns have to run in the big races

This is true Truncheon, but the list of horses where it's gone wrong or not worked is much longer, when compared to a very short list over a lot of years.

You'd hope horses will have long careers, and they don't need to do it all in their first season racing, which is what none of those you list did either. :cool:

Alderbrook
Royal Gait
Thistlecrack
Coneygree
Noble Yeats

Royal Gait was a Ascot Gold Cup winner and a seasoned campaigner when he won the Champion . Alderbrook won nothing after the Champion Hurdle
Thistlecrack had run 15 times including winning at Cheltenham before he ran in the king George then his career went to pot and Coneygree was never the same horse again

Compare that to what was worse when Golden Cygnet Our Conor Gloria Victis all died when taking on their seniors.

Last edited:
Len: Why the concern for a horse you believe is about 7.5L superior? Is it purely the word 'novice' as a suffix?

I think it is, mate. I am quite squeamish when it comes to the welfare of horses, tbh. But you know if he did run, Hendo wouldn’t have a major concern that CH would come to any harm.

At the end of the day whether he runs in the CH or the novices race it's still 2m round Punchestown jumping 8 hurdles

Every chance the novices race would be run at a faster pace as well

Also a possibility State Man, Sir Gerhard and a Dysart Dynamo back on home turf could be a bigger danger to CH than Honeysuckle

The Champion hurdle could be an easier race to win

Last edited:
At the end of the day whether he runs in the CH or the novices race it's still 2m round Punchestown jumping 8 hurdles

Every chance the novices race would be run at a faster pace as well

Also a possibility State Man, Sir Gerhard and a Dysart Dynamo back on home turf could be a bigger danger to CH than Honeysuckle

The Champion hurdle could be an easier race to win

Gawd give us strength:lol: Statesman has 50 lengths to find and he's already made mincemeat of Dysart Dynamo who was chosen over Sir Gerhard for the Supreme.

By rights none of them should be able to blow win up CH's backside wheras the unbeaten Champion Hurdler would leave them thinking they were running in the Epsom Dash

Gawd give us strength:lol: Statesman has 50 lengths to find and he's already made mincemeat of Dysart Dynamo who was chosen over Sir Gerhard for the Supreme.

By rights none of them should be able to blow win up CH's backside wheras the unbeaten Champion Hurdler would leave them thinking they were running in the Epsom Dash

Don't understand the mincemeat and DD reference. DD would have beat him if he'd stood up.

Don't understand the mincemeat and DD reference. DD would have beat him if he'd stood up.

you think a horse that ran keen and had just been headed by the horse that finished a distant 2nd when he fell would have won?

i hope you're right about his talent level and that he goes over fences as I've a price on him for next years Arkle but to think he'd have beat CH if he stood up is a stretch to say the least.

Back