QM Champion Chase betting

There is an old saying Bear..bookies are always glad to take bets off owners..trainers... jockeys..oh and sectionalers..they are glad to take them..tells you the game doesn't it?

there must be a reason for that saying musn't there?..you can't beat the old sayings i find.

Not for the reasons you are trying to say they are........no lose accounts to trainers.......you remember them?

He's way too busy for training with his bet 666 advert commitments.

There was a notable exception to that saying today EC. They interviewed an idle Ruby Walsh prior to the Champion Chase and he was adamant Dodging Bullets should be favourite and that Sprinter Sacre was gone.

no ..before no lose accounts...that saying was around for donkeys before then

yes i remember no lose ones..about 10 years ago that one came out

a simple but effect system for the bookies to know when a trainer didn't fancy one of their horses ..well i assumed thats how they were used..if trainer didn't back a particular horse the bookie knew he could lay the arse off it

would imagine its still rife..or did they outlaw it in some way..can't remember now

He's way too busy for training with his bet 666 advert commitments.

There was a notable exception to that saying today EC. They interviewed an idle Ruby Walsh prior to the Champion Chase and he was adamant Dodging Bullets should be favourite and that Sprinter Sacre was gone.

yes i heard that interview..you see..he knows his form..when it involves other stables horses he is very adamant isn't he?..never heard him so bullish.....but when asked about a Mullins one..he goes all vague..funny that isn't it?

Last edited:
No...you can't go blaming a trainer for how his horse runs really..he only trains it..how would he know?

Now if you asked Nicky about his days with Ronnie Barker.. his info is spot on...great days they were..the horse training thing just passes his time now..he's not really bothered if they win or lose i wouldn't imagine..in fact i've been told he doesn't actually train them..the gardner does that bit

go to bed willya!!

He also said Champagne Fever would have won by 10 lengths if he'd ran and anyone suggesting that he should be stepped up in trip is a complete loon.

(I may have made this up)

SS looked beautiful in the pre parade ring, though I haven't a comparison as I've not seen him in the flesh before. So etsy looked brilliant.

SDG definitely had plates on not plastic shoes. (And the Hughes farrier is the worst of all of them)

Disappointed with SS and SDG who wasn't, but Somersby ran a blinder and I think ran to his best.

Great day though!

Nx

Geraghty called it as he saw it, is a genuine open jock yet you slag him off (but wouldn't dare do it beforehand). Maybe you would prefer all jockeys were like Michael Stoute or if they speak it is only to give the winner?

For the record I was a fan of Geraghty when you weren't. He rides for Nicky now so easier for you to like him.

Look at sprinters recent history, it in no way translates to him being the horse of old or anything like it.

Positive bulleteins galore, his heart was gone, probably shouldn't of even run today.

Geraghty called it as he saw it, is a genuine open jock yet you slag him off (but wouldn't dare do it beforehand). Maybe you would prefer all jockeys were like Michael Stoute or if they speak it is only to give the winner?

Michael Stoute comparison is lost on me unfortunately too

Last edited:
a poor renewal?..SDG and sprinter sacre??

its only a week ago people were saying how SDG was back to his very best at Chepstow..SS i can understand not running well..but to call it a poor field

last year everyone said it was sh1te coz SDG won it..then after he won it everyone raving about him..very fickle this game

Look at the 2nd and 3rd tells you that it was a poor renewal, winner took advantage of that and fair play. The big 2 didn't run a race between them.

If SS really was sparkling at home it must be due to pledge wax on his coat. What a total cockle from that yard.

For the record I was a fan of Geraghty when you weren't. He rides for Nicky now so easier for you to like him.

Look at sprinters recent history, it in no way translates to him being the horse of old or anything like it.

Positive bulleteins galore, his heart was gone, probably shouldn't of even run today.

No idea what either part of the highlighted sentence means but given I'm no longer 12 that may well be it....

I was mildly amused by this attributed quote to Nicky after the race

"It is disappointing, of course it is for everybody. Everybody has worked their socks off to get him back. Nobody was pretending he was the horse he was two years ago, otherwise he would have been threes-on. But we have taken a massive step backwards today."

Now I realise Nicky can't speak for Geraghty, but it does show up the dangers of trying to draw to much from working horses at 75%. I dare say SS had been giving him the right feel etc as he wouldn't have been under racing pressure at home, but it's only at the business end of a race when maximum exertion is called for that any falibilities will rear their head. Barry's quote probably needed seeing in context. It was really tantamount to saying something to the effect of; he seems alright and feels the same as he did 2 years ago, but we won't know for certain until he's asked for a full 100% effort. Sadly Geraghty never qualified it, (or if he did, it wasn't reported in its entirity). Having said that, Geraghty also said he felt wrong from too early in the race. I do wonder if the yard might even be slightly better off with SS retired as heaven knows how much mental energy and time they've expended on this horse. Nicky has been looking more and more wrecked and seems to have become paralysed with paranoia. I'm not sure the extent to which the Sprinter Sacre has started to impact on his campaigning of other horses which has been very, very cautious this season, compared with someone like Nicholls who has much more prepared to front them up and have a go

Despite Special Tiara seemingly taking them along at a good clip, the time was still 1.60 secs slower than the Arkle (Western Warhorse was 1.45 secs faster than Sire de Grugy)

Last edited:
Nico was in tears last autumn about how bad SS was; I can't see how you can turn a horse round from that mentally even if you can improve him physically. Maybe Denman overcame his problems because he was such a bully of a horse.

25 wind operations won't fix his heart though.

Never seen a jockey so scared to hit a horse as Geraghty was yesterday - didn't touch it at Ascot and didn't fancy using the stick yesterday either. Whatever the problem was with his heart it's certainly still plaguing him, or at least Geraghty thinks it is.

Retire the horse now while we still have the memory of the various romps.

Martin

If that's truly what was going through his mind what on earth are they doing running him? There has to be an ethical question asked there. I appreciate a vet will have cleared him to be back on the course but I really hope they call it a day now.

25 wind operations won't fix his heart though.

Never seen a jockey so scared to hit a horse as Geraghty was yesterday - didn't touch it at Ascot and didn't fancy using the stick yesterday either. Whatever the problem was with his heart it's certainly still plaguing him, or at least Geraghty thinks it is.

Retire the horse now while we still have the memory of the various romps.

Martin
Absolutely, That Melling Chase must have been one of the hottest for years and he won it on the bit
Being there was special :)

Back