Queen Anne Stakes (group 1)

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jun 17 2008, 04:28 PM
She proved she did last time out.
She was outstayed IMO, having travelled really well for about 9 furlongs.

She would not be up to winning a Group 1 over the trip.

Strike One: AUSTRALIA! I am so proud of this horse, and he finally showed what we all believed he was capable of doing so down here in Australia.

He will retire after that race, that is the news we are getting down here. They have to go into quarantine for 30 days, and an extra 7 in Australia before they are released for stud duties. The official breeding season kicks off on 1 August, and some stallions will cover between 1 August and 31 August for earlier mares. However for a foal if it is born early, say July when it originally was considered a yearling, the mare has to be bred after 1 September, so they can still be classified as a weanling.

There is no point in going on, they wanted either the Lockinge or Queen Anne, and they got the latter, and now he has that elusive Group 1 European next to his name.

It will be interesting to see what happens. With a stud career in Europe also on the cards another Group 1 here would help.

Originally posted by Grand Armee@Jun 17 2008, 09:19 PM
He will retire after that race, that is the news we are getting down here.
Is that from the sources which suggested he would be retired six months ago, or is this a different source?

If that is indeed the case, then it's very dissapointing.

Do you know what the situation is as regards to the ownership, Grand Armee? Remember hearing somewhere that Coolmore bought half of the horse. Could be wrong though.

Coolmore bought into him last July for an estimated $25 million for 50%, and included the breeding rights to him.

www.racenet.com.au

I believe Magnus has also retired. Rightly so, he has not performed to standard of recent months.

Here is the official announcement from www.racingandsports.com.au one of the trusted sites from racing in Australia:

Coolmore Celebrate Then Announce Haradasun's Retirement
Story By Nathan Exelby

Wednesday, 18 June 2008: Coolmore Australia General Manager Michael Kirwan applauded the efforts of the Ballydoyle team and heaped praise on Haradasun as the son of Fusaichi Pegasus became the latest Australian-bred galloper to become a dual hemisphere Group 1 winner overnight.

He then announced the four-year-old's immediate retirement.

“He's done everything he needs to and he will now be retired,” Kirwan said.

“We're looking forward to getting him back to the farm and have him settle in for his new career.”

After looking under pressure approaching the two furlong pole, the son of Fusaichi Pegasus fought bravely under jockey Johnny Murtagh to win the G1 Queen Anne Stakes (1600m) narrowly.

It was just his second start in England and justified the confidence Aidan O'Brien exhibited pre-race. The master trainer was adamant the entire had come on strongly since his first up sixth in the Lockinge Stakes last month.

While Tom Magnier was on course at Royal Ascot, the rest of the Coolmore Australia team gathered at their Jerry Plains office to watch proceedings.

“It's a great result for Coolmore worldwide and a great result for Australia,” Kirwan said.

“It justifies what we paid for him and confirms the confidence so many breeders have had in him since he was announced on the roster this year.”

Haradasun became the most expensive horse ever sold in Australia when Coolmore attained a 50% share in the colt last year in a deal that reportedly valued him at $50million.

He was already a dual Group 1 winner of the Doncaster and George Ryder, but Coolmore and owner Frank Tagg were keen to test him on the international stage and he was sent to Aidan O'Brien after last year's spring campaign.

The Group 1 win now opens up a lucrative shuttle career in the northern hemisphere.

Kirwan said those in Australia already booked to Haradasun would be on 'cloud nine' to have secured a mating at his first season service fee of $55,000.

This is the second major international success for the wonderful Marscay mare Circles Of Gold.

Her Danehill son Elvstroem was a Group 1 winner in Dubai in 2005 and now Haradasun has carried her name to Europe just over three years later.

He will be standing at AUD$55,000 this upcoming season. Knowing Coolmore, they will probably have him cover 200 mares in his first season. Therefore he will recouped $11,000,000 in just the first season alone. Throw in the northern hemisphere breeding season as well. He will recoup it back within less than 5 years if he stands both seasons, which of course, he will.

On those figures, at current prices he's going to have to get around 900 mares in foal during his stud career just to cover the capital costs, never mind the costs of keeping him at stud, shuttling and advertising.

They might fill him for his first southern and northern seasons, but these days it gets a lot harder after that as breeders flock, sheep-like, to the next batch of first season stallions.

Well sold at the price, I'd say.

The RP reported the same piece GA but it also mentioned that if O'Brien is happy with the horse they will run him again here.

Either of those would still make it possible to get into quarantine and be available from September 1st.

Eclipse would give a slightly easier time frame and would seem most likely to me.

The Sussex would surely come too late.

Do you mean the GP de Saint Cloud? (Paris is 3yos only). That's the week before the Eclipse, June 29th, same day as the Irish Derby. 12f though.

Queen Anne

a very good edition , marked by the ground and tactics, Murtagh stronger than Soumi in the driving finish, Cesare a little bit unlucky but would not blame Spencer complately, sageburg found the ground too firm.

I think Creachadoir would have won,
of this bunch I dont see them beating Henrythenavegator in the Sussex or the QEII.

Maybe we should just abandon all normal approaches and punt the antipodeans. One notebook comment marvelled at the physique of one of their horses.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 18 2008, 09:56 AM
Do you mean the GP de Saint Cloud? (Paris is 3yos only). That's the week before the Eclipse, June 29th, same day as the Irish Derby. 12f though.
That's the one, for some reason I was convinced it was 10f. Thanks.

Coronation Cup: Ballydoyle pacemaker ignored, cries of "team tactics".

Queen Anne: Ballydoyle pacemaker slavishly followed, cries of "team tactics".

shrug::

At least Creachadoir was the best horse in the race. From a form point of view i got that race spot on but had no reward. And it`s led to my unhinging today.

Back