Queen Anne Stakes (group 1)

I think he might be a candidate to make the running Luke? I think he could stay there about 7 or 7 & a half furlongs so along with my forecast/tricast bets i'm going to follow you in with a view to laying it in running!

Originally posted by martin@Jun 15 2008, 08:20 PM
I think he might be a candidate to make the running Luke? I think he could stay there about 7 or 7 & a half furlongs so along with my forecast/tricast bets i'm going to follow you in with a view to laying it in running!
Would imagine Mount Nelson will follow Honoured Guest much like Macarthur did to Song Of Hiawatha at Epsom.

I thought he ran respectably in France last weekend-geting no luck in running.40/1 is the best current price -should be much bigger on betfair.

Originally posted by LUKE@Jun 15 2008, 09:36 PM
I thought he ran respectably in France last weekend-geting no luck in running.40/1 is the best current price -should be much bigger on betfair.
I did not even realize he had ran in France until reading this! Checking on the RP it sounds like he was checked a couple of times….how unlucky (if at all) was he?

Money is pouring on the French filly this morning.

Sportinglife agree with you Luke...

By Nic Doggett

The Queen Anne Stakes kicks off Royal Ascot and it could be a good start for the bookmakers.

Nine of the last 10 favourites have tasted defeat in the curtain-raiser and despite the likelihood of a more open field for this year's renewal, the feeling is that those at the head of affairs all have questions to answer.

Haradasun, a recent antipodean import to Ballydoyle, was given a quiet introduction to these shores when well-held in the Lockinge at Newbury.

He was markedly weak in the betting and was not given a tough ride in the final furlong, suggesting that better can be expected at Ascot. However his form at he end of last season tailed off and he now has something to prove.

Unfortunately we do not see the Lockinge winner Creachadoir here because of a serious injury, however along with Haradasun (sixth) we do have Tariq (third), Cesare (fourth) and Arabian Gleam (fifth) on show, so there look to be a few scores to settle.

Tariq finished best of all at Newbury on just his second try at a mile, however I am still not convinced that his style of racing suits this trip as he tends to race with the choke out and I can see him running well before fading near the line.

Cesare loves Ascot, but fifth in this race last year, his form is slightly below this top level and as a seven-year-old, the statistics are against him.

Arabian Gleam, for me, is the most interesting horse to take from the Lockinge.

The ground may have gone against him on that day and if it is a genuine quick surface then his chance would be enhanced.

However being by Killachy out of a Danehill mare, the feeling is that his natural speed would only be effective if this was run at a crawl, so despite being related to a few stayers and probably overpriced at 20/1, the feeling is that his optimum trip is six or seven furlongs.

A key point however when weighing up the merit of the Lockinge is that it was run, certainly for the first half mile, at a crawl and as a consequence the form must be treated with some caution.

Sageburg and stablemate Darjina clashed recently in the Prix d'Ispahan, where the former prevailed.

He was impressive on that occasion but he took a little while to warm to his task and this further drop in trip on quick ground may not play to his strengths.

For all that he is by the speedy Johannesburg, his running style suggests that staying is his forte.

Darjina disappointed here last season in the Queen Elizabeth II and fillies and mares have a terrible record in this race. With the feeling that she may not travel that well also in the back of one's mind, it seems logical to take her on.

Sir Michael Stoute knows what it takes to land this race so Linngari deserves some respect, however his profile is one of a decent handicapper who takes weak foreign Group races rather than a genuine Group One horse.

Mount Nelson has had his injury problems in the past, but his recent third at Chantilly hinted that he was back on the road to glory.

After a couple of disappointing runs over a mile and a quarter, (both after long lay-offs it must be added), the return to a mile last time saw him put in a good performance, especially as he was stopped in his tracks when making his move.

A Group One winner as a juvenile, this son of Rock Of Gibraltar, himself a St James's Palace Stakes winner, must be overpriced at 40/1 and needs backing each-way as a result.

His dam won a Group Two over a mile herself so this looks to be his trip, and the fact that Seamus Heffernan has ridden him to both of his victories in the past may be more of a pointer as to the jockey arrangements.

The third representative of Aidan O'Brien, Honoured Guest, should not be overlooked either as the return to a mile is in his favour judged by his third to stablemate Astronomer Royal in last season's French 2000 Guineas.

However likely front-running duties may see him running on empty late on.

Overall it appears that this could be one of the most open Group One's of the whole week.

Four-year-old's have ruled the roost in recent times, winning seven of the last eight renewals, and Mount Nelson is fancied to continue that fantastic record.

In such an open race I think the fillies Darjina and Finsceal Beo are the horses I like best.

Finsceal Beo ran very well against DOM recently and is now back over a mile on a straight course.

I could see the fillies going 1-2 in this with a preference for Bolger's horse.

The more I look at this race, the more convinced I become. I am obviously seeing things differently to everyone else and couldn't explain the market rationally if I tried.

Originally posted by betsmate@Jun 17 2008, 10:07 AM
The more I look at this race, the more convinced I become. I am obviously seeing things differently to everyone else and couldn't explain the market rationally if I tried.
Agree with everything you just said.

Darjina may well be a maximum bet, saver on Sageburg.

The more I look at this race, the more I become convinced that there are at least 5 or 6 horses who will seem "obvious" in one way or another should they take victory.

Yeah they've been picking away at her all morning. Sageburg has been slowly drifting at the same time.

I can`t see Sageburg winning this on fast ground. I`m on FB , Darjina and Cesare as cover. My only worry is the ex Aussie horse.

Back