Queen Anne Stakes

Just wondering where the form line is that has already suggested that PB will "struggle" against them....

Cesare is older now, making his seasonal debut today and had problems according to his trainer earlier in the spring - might have something to do with it.

I doubt it. Meanwhile Mastercraftsman and Delegator hardly look superstars after that and at Goodwood I reckon Paco Boy would have too many gears.

Last edited:
I think with GL setting a fast pace the worry would be that he wouldn't stay. But of course that would mean that the front runners are going slow back end of the race.

Paco Boy would beat any of the 3 year olds likely to turn up in the Sussex by a comfortable 4-5 lengths. He is a serious top class animal, and if he were with a more fashionable trainer, he would have the media fawning over him. Lovely animal ... genuine, classy, great cruising speed, picks up when asked, not ground dependant and now has Group 1s over 6 and 7.

You can't use the fact that it was Cesare's reappearance to suggest he was below par. His record is absolutely mustard fresh bar the Lincoln run where he looked like a wooly goat and didn't come to hand early enough. No reason not to think Cesare hasn't run right up to his best.

Paco Boy would beat any of the 3 year olds likely to turn up in the Sussex by a comfortable 4-5 lengths. He is a serious top class animal, and if he were with a more fashionable trainer, he would have the media fawning over him. Lovely animal ... genuine, classy, great cruising speed, picks up when asked, not ground dependant and now has Group 1s over 6 and 7.

Are you offering even money match bets against Delegator or Mastercraftsman versus Paco Boy in the Sussex giving them four and a half length starts?

No, of course not - I said I think that's the level of superiority he will have over them. Any bet would indicate I think he'll win by further, no?

5 lengths is a very long way in a competitive mile Group 1. While I think the 3yo lack a real miling star (128+ rating over a mile), Paco Boy seems a very unexceptional horse compared to one 10 pounds better than the likes of those that ran in the st james palace.

While the performances today cast a question mark about Godolphin, it also raises a few questions marks as to the level of performance the likes of Gladiatorus and co were able to produce in Dubai and by what means for their previous connections...

Last edited:
While the performances today cast a question mark about Godolphin, it also raises a few questions marks as to the level of performance the likes of Gladiatorus and co were able to produce in Dubai and by what means for their previous connections...

I'm a big fan of Dubai, really enjoy the carnival and think it should be enjoyed. However, it's hard to argue on one side with what you're saying, but on the other, if they were with other trainers then we'd probably get a fairer reflection of Dubai form.

Think Paco Boy is a class animal and gets the mile but you could see at the end of that race he was starting to lug and his stride shortened suggesting he was tying up. I think if you had a mastercraftsman against him he may end up being done just like Delegator by a horse that can stay a bit better on stiffer tracks. Having said all this Goodwood will be perfect for him a real speedsters track and the way he travelled today anything would struggle against him on a sharpish track. He could win a July Cup imo.

I enjoy the Dubai carnival too, but the ratings from it are inflated. How Gladiatorius got the rating he did after beating Presvis, Bankable, Alexandros etc, is beyond me.

I enjoy the Dubai carnival too, but the ratings from it are inflated. How Gladiatorius got the rating he did after beating Presvis, Bankable, Alexandros etc, is beyond me.

And Paco Boy? :p

Presvis is a class animal.

You can knock Godolphin or the possibilities for his improvement in Dubai but the form is littered with Group One performers.

The form Gladiatorus showed in Dubai was easily of 130+ standard, regardless of what connections (be that Godolphin or Bin Shafya) have "done" to him. I think anyone who was knocking the horse before today and uses today's effort as evidence to put the boot in is very misguided in their approach to the reading of form.

The form Gladiatorus showed in Dubai was easily of 130+ standard, regardless of what connections (be that Godolphin or Bin Shafya) have "done" to him. I think anyone who was knocking the horse before today and uses today's effort as evidence to put the boot in is very misguided in their approach to the reading of form.

Have to be careful what I say, but Gladiatorous's trainer in Dubai has had horses failed dope tests over there. Make of that what you will. The jump in form for the likes of Eastern Anthem and Gladiatorous was hard to believe for me.

There is more to form analysis that crunching the numbers back to the beaten horses. As those that got last year's King George wrong will testify!

That may well be the case Gal, it is starting to look odd but I do think Godolphin have ruined plenty of horses before not been anywhere near Shafya's.

There is little proof of doping as I'm aware of and plenty of high profile UK trainers have had runners fail dope tests before.

Just how much improvement could you get out of a horse with substances? I'll confess I'm ignorant on the subject and also on the rules in the UAE on the matter.

Back