Racing cancelled

The IHRB have just announced that runners from Britain WILL NOT be permitted to race in Ireland until further notice. Racing in Ireland WILL continue

Wolverhampton have taken the decision to cancel their Saturday evening meeting of their own accord

There were runners from affected yard there during the week so a deep clean has been ordered and no racing can take place for 4 days after.

Going through tomorrows card McCain has nothing declared for Bangor, a course he usually has several runners at. There are however Irish runners entered there. If racing were to go ahead it would be interesting to see if they take up the engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good man Elliott. Now lets hope Davy Russell & any staff at Ayr yesterday had the nailbrush, tooth brush & toilet brush out scrubbing in the showers. Humans can as easily pass this on as horses & Russell rides at Thurles.

Don't worry the virus dies in less than an hour away from it's host. The biggest worry is the strain has infected vaccinated horses. All well and fine saying it doesn't affect them as badly but they spread the virus exactly the same as a very sick horse.

If ever you wanted a giant freeze to hit the country now's the time. Australia had 47,000 cases. I imagine because a virus survives and spreads faster in warm countries.

I'd say that regardless of whether or not racing takes place over the weekend many trainers won't risk traveling their horses with the big spring festivals just around the corner.

I remember a story told in the Vet College about a student whose virology exam answer to Equine Influenza began " The virus is an infection that affects horses and causes racehorses to lose form and punters to lose money !"
As he walked into his oral exam his lecturer informed him that his best chance of passing was to keep his mouth shut.
He passed having followed instructions.
The story did not concern me as there was a change in professor in that dept my year who was not a racing fan.

I remember a story told in the Vet College about a student whose virology exam answer to Equine Influenza began " The virus is an infection that affects horses and causes racehorses to lose form and punters to lose money !"
As he walked into his oral exam his lecturer informed him that his best chance of passing was to keep his mouth shut.
He passed having followed instructions.
The story did not concern me as there was a change in professor in that dept my year who was not a racing fan.

If it results in loss of form then I'm suprised it was McCain's yard that housed the infected. I'd have thought Jonjo's yard must be riddled with it.

Bloody irresponsible of the yard IMO - they would have known they had sick horses and the vets had taken samples, what on Earth were they doing taking anything off the yard before they’d had the results?!

Hopefully the poorly ones are isolated now and being treated properly so it can get back to business as usual very soon.

The three Horses concerned never left the yard yesterday .

BREAKING: more than 100 yards, including those of leading trainers Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson, have been placed into lockdown by the BHA for testing following the outbreak of equine flu

The lockdown applies to British-based trainers who had runners at Ayr or Ludlow on Wednesday or Wolverhampton on Monday. They will have their entire string tested on Friday and no declarations will be accepted from the trainers until the all-clear is given

from the RP

almost no chance weekend racing goes ahead in the UK

Aren't the entries due for the handicaps something like the end of next week (18th rings a bell) ?. Horses like Glen Forsa, who was due to run Saturday are currently not qualified to run (he needs one more outing over fences) and may struggle to get that in now before the entry cut-off.

No racing until next week Wednesday, and decision taken Monday to see if it resumes on Wednesday.

Aren't the entries due for the handicaps something like the end of next week (18th rings a bell) ?. Horses like Glen Forsa, who was due to run Saturday are currently not qualified to run (he needs one more outing over fences) and may struggle to get that in now before the entry cut-off.

Entries close Tues 19th

Be more than a few plans for getting one in off a low a mark will have been scuppered.

Those who have been running on their merits won't be too unhappy about that.

The three Horses concerned never left the yard yesterday .

I didn’t say they did. Flu is an airborne disease with an incubation period - it’s not like strangles where you have to physically touch the infection to get it, and just because you show no symptoms doesn’t mean you’re not carrying it.
To be fair, all horses would be vaccinated as standard, but it doesn’t stop the virus being a different strain so they can be vaccinated as much as you like, it won’t stop them getting ill - in no way is this the McCains fault, as with people, virus’ change all the time.

The horses were ill enough to call a vet in to run tests - to take others racing when you have that situation is, as I said last night, ( in my opinion ) irresponsible.

Back