Racing cancelled

Dependant on what the vets were checking for Beef. If you call a vet in to check for something contagious or you've called a vet in to check a lame horse there's a big difference. I know bugger all about it just saying it's not black and white and trudi sounds like she knows more about it than most.

Trudi is indeed VERY well qualified being a veterinary nurse as is edgt who is himself a vet.

I know nowt about Equine Flu and would welcome help from anyone that does know about it.

Are there any long or indeed permanent effects of equine flu?
How long would a horse be out of action having caught flu?
How long does the virus persist in a location in which it takes hold?
Thanks!

I know nowt about Equine Flu and would welcome help from anyone that does know about it.

Are there any long or indeed permanent effects of equine flu?
How long would a horse be out of action having caught flu?
How long does the virus persist in a location in which it takes hold?
Thanks!
https://www.racingpost.com/news/what-we-know-so-far-as-british-racing-is-cancelled/365314

If you listen to podcasts I believe the Final Furlong podcast cover it at the start of today's release

Errrr - I wasn’t “apportioning blame” - and have actually said it’s not their fault !!

I would say the same regarding the irresponsibility of taking any animal off a yard that ( potentially ) has a contagious disease regardless of the person doing it. It’s my opinion only - I don’t expect others to agree with me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This seems like a typical 'just in case' over reaction. Will probably not be many horses affected other than the ones we know about and a few that these beasts may have sneezed on. But most will be saying that it needed to be done and the BHA made the right decision. At least we've still got the Irish racing and I had a litter flutter on the Yankee stuff earlier :o :blink:

Just in case is better than the alternative :) at least the BHA have been clear with their instructions and advice for the industry - the other equine sports haven’t been very vocal at all about it as far as I can see.

Good luck with the bets !!

Last edited:
Errrr - I wasn’t “apportioning blame” - and have actually said it’s not their fault !!

I would say the same regarding the irresponsibility of taking any animal off a yard that ( potentially ) has a contagious disease regardless of the person doing it. It’s my opinion only - I don’t expect others to agree with me :)

Fair enough I may have misinterpreted your post, didn't mean to insinuate anything at all

I wonder how the country would react if the Prime Minister shut down the UK because 3 people had flu :0)

If the Australian racing authorities had reacted as quickly there wouldn't have been a 5 month close down Tanlic. I've no doubt the BHA are 100% right in their actions. Can you imagine if they didn't and an epidemic went through the horse population.

Chelmsford racecourse have handed over all the food that had been prepared for raceday to the local homeless shelter. Top gesture.

It's always bothered me that NH racing revolves totally around 4 days in March and that something like this has such a huge impact on the sport.

Bloody irresponsible of the yard IMO - they would have known they had sick horses and the vets had taken samples, what on Earth were they doing taking anything off the yard before they’d had the results?!

And there we have it

Silly question - why is the article saying days and Rust is being quoted everywhere else as 'few weeks'?

My local vet have put this as part of a statement on FB:
In the UK, cases have been confirmed in Essex, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Suffolk and Yorkshire within the racing community. In one of these outbreaks, vaccinated horses have been affected, but the other outbreaks have occurred in unvaccinated animals.

Last edited:
If the Australian racing authorities had reacted as quickly there wouldn't have been a 5 month close down Tanlic. I've no doubt the BHA are 100% right in their actions. Can you imagine if they didn't and an epidemic went through the horse population.

They reacted very quickly but the Virus hit horses at Eastern Creek and 60km away on the same day at Centennial Park if I am reading it right.

Not many were vaccinated was a problem but the main problem has to be the heat and we all know germs spread quickly in warm climates.

There is no guarantee the vaccination in this country will stop a horse getting sick so give it time.

Airborne winds lambourse thousands of horses

This could end in days but you could just as easily be getting refunds on Epsom Derby tickets if you have any

Back