Racing cancelled?

Double J

At the Start
Just been announced today that boxing will be suspended throughout January in the UK because of the rise in cases.
Also because hospitals are stopping their usual services, medical professionals are at a premium and won’t be as many available at sporting events like usual.

Given racing needs ambulances and medical professionals on site, I won’t be suprised to see racing also temporarily suspended.

There were only two pro cards scheduled for January in any case, on the 22nd and the 30th. This instruction appears to have come from the BBoC rather than the government.

If the BHA is worried about bad press, it might follow suit. But given that the government is informing its citizens that COVID apparently does not spread through schoolchildren then I can't see them touching horse racing. Unless there is another u-turn...

He’ll make up another tier soon enough, and I should think all sport will be suspended as it was March-May last year. Football is getting so many cases at the moment - once that is suspended, many other/ all other sports will follow.

There were only two pro cards scheduled for January in any case, on the 22nd and the 30th. This instruction appears to have come from the BBoC rather than the government.

If the BHA is worried about bad press, it might follow suit. But given that the government is informing its citizens that COVID apparently does not spread through schoolchildren then I can't see them touching horse racing. Unless there is another u-turn...

Don't think bad press will concern the BHA, already have it in certain quarters for banning owners. It's a bit galling to watch footballers hug each other and members from the opposing team, but not allowed to go and watch your horse run. Can go and play golf with non household members too...no consistency, aside from those too ignorant to follow the rules, or morons such as those outside St Georges' Hospital the other night, as Jonesy said 'we're all doomed' .

Don't think bad press will concern the BHA, already have it in certain quarters for banning owners. It's a bit galling to watch footballers hug each other and members from the opposing team, but not allowed to go and watch your horse run. Can go and play golf with non household members too...no consistency, aside from those too ignorant to follow the rules, or morons such as those outside St Georges' Hospital the other night, as Jonesy said 'we're all doomed' .

And my brother is still making sheds with 30 strangers.

Playing Golf with someone outside of your household is no different than meeting someone from outside of your household for a walk?

Just my opinion, but I reckon it's a shade odds-on that the Festival will be behind closed doors, come March?

Just my opinion, but I reckon it's a shade odds-on that the Festival will be behind closed doors, come March?

:lol:

I’d have it shades odds on the festival doesn’t happen. National lockdown imminent with sport cancelled and schools shut.

Wonder if they’ll open up another Betfair market :whistle:

Agree. No chance of a "normal" Cheltenham and slim chance it will go ahead. Our glorious Leader will surely be aware of the hammering he got for letting last years go ahead. Only a complete fool would repeat that. And is he a complete fool? Second thoughts, perhaps it will go ahead:whistle:.

March is a long way away. We'll know more in a months time but at that stage Cheltenham and trainers will need assurances.

Be interesting to see what the books do with AP bets if it does get cancelled. Be an absolute shitstorm I imagine if they don’t refund any.

The path the gambling corporations are going down, can we rule out a virtual Supreme Novice hurdle, Arkle, Champion Hurdle etc? They did it with the Grand National.

What about a virtual Cheltenham Festival.

Sickening really isn't it.

Last edited:
I don’t see why they’d cancel Cheltenham or racing in general for that matter but allow football to continue and the implications of cancelling football during the period between now and mid March is far greater, with the impact on the rescheduled Euros and the likelihood of lower league clubs going out of business.

I’ve played nearly every day - played today and f**k me the weather was brutal - and my club have been very good in controlling the situation. I’ve not seen one instance of abuse of the rules, inc 4 balls etc and it’ll be a real pity that they’re inevitably forced to close again from midnight.

Drive to the course on my own, step out of car and say “Hi” to playing partner from greater than 2 metres, poke masked head in club house to confirm we’re there, walk to first tee and tee off. Finish round, congratulate partner, get in car and drive home on my own. But as it’s deemed unnecessary they’ll no doubt stop it.

Anybody who’s seen me play golf will attest to it being the most socially distanced thing imaginable :D

Last edited:
I’d be very confident of the festival going ahead now. If they aren’t pulling the plug on sports now they won’t do again.

Probably so they don’t have to give a financial bail out package to them all, but that’s another story and topic.

Nick Luck has a podcast interview with Cheltenham manager/clerk.
Heard a bit on RTE radio this evening and they are confident at the minute at any rate of holding the Festival, but are expecting a minimum crowd at best.
More worried about getting course ready and attracting as many horses as possible.

Jesus sport being on is vital to stop people going crazy. A Cheltenham festival behind closed doors will do just fine.

The bank of Thailand decided to block skrill and Neteller and I only put in 20 to 70 pounds at a time these days and had all but run out...........so I asked my friend to use his uk debit card open a neteller account and email me the money to my neteller account........work ok but now no racing........BORING

Last edited:
Cheltenham shouldn’t even be looking at fans

1. It won’t be allowed anyway.
2. They took a PR disaster last year, even 2k fans time round would not be a good look. Ride it out and go again next year, when tickets will be gold dust and bumped up an extra £20

Back