Racing Today

Guest_

At the Start
Sweet on Mansony today at Fairyhouse. Granted he is not the horse he was but he will be suited by the ground and the small field today. Rare Bob is making his seasonal debut but that is not too much of a worry coming from Dessie Hughes but like the favourite (Scotsirish) he actually does not win that often despite being very talented. Is also likely to be racing over three miles by the end of the season. I love Aran Concerto but impossible to back him today given his two starts this season while Snowy Morning needs further.

Bumper looks well up to scratch with both the Mullins horse and Henry De Bromhead's coming here on the back of impressive wins in point to point field.

The time to play in the Norman's Grove was when Rare Bob was a 9/4 shot.

Dallaglio is interesting in the 2m4f handicap hurdle. Has scope to improve given a more thorough test of stamina than he has encountered to date, which he will certainly get today. Weak race as well.

Rockfield Abbey looks the bet of the day in the bumper at Thurles.

Any update following the splat of Ted Walsh's SUMMER SEEDS at the last jump in the final chase at Fairyhouse, please? Just went down flat and while the horse was steaming, didn't look like he was breathing. I do wish they'd pull them up when they're clearly terribly tired and so very far back of the finishing pack.

Decent card at Naas today.

Have opposed Cadspeed in the first today with both Hellyhunter and Midtown Boy. The former is of particular interest given that he ran a good race to finish third in a decent Limerick maiden hurdle having jumped horrendously virtually the whole way around, whilst Midtown Boy was given a lot to do on his last run but admittedly needs to step up on that. Not convinced by Cadspeed's attitude after his last couple of runs, might look to lay him in-running.

I've had a relatively chunky bet on Luska Lad in the 2m novices. He's 11/8 to give 9lbs to Mr. Cracker, which is fair enough imo; despite the Hourigan horse's potential, he has a good bit to prove and may be better over further. Baron D'el isn't suited by ground this heavy over hurdles. He's almost certain to go bigger IR anyway. Could easily see Rookery Rebel run a big race; not sure what connections are doing running him here though when he's on a very attractive mark imo.

Last edited:
Im not sure Mullins horses are running that well either seems very hit and miss at the moment

but 2 odds on novice chasers turned over!!!!!!!!

Yes but all had explanations rather than running as though something was wrong. Cousin Vinny ran a grand race given how poorly he jumped. Kempes lost yesterday after ploughing through the fourth last fence and not appreciating the ground. Losing because they are not good enough on the day as opposed to something being wrong with them.

Cadspeed finishes second!

2 yesterday and another just then. They dont seem to be seeing there races out imo. Also im not sure how much Ruby is particularly helping them by riding them off the pace in this ground.

I do not think Cadspeed is a sign of decline....he ran his race today but was beaten by what looks a smart prospect.

I take your point about how Ruby is riding them but I really think it is a case that alot of them are not good enough, not suited by the ground or have made jumping mistakes. Bar Cooldine and Quinola - none of them are finishing tailed off.

Cadspeed finds very little for pressure. Should have layed him in-running but missed the race. Hellyhunter was dissapointing. Wouldn't back a winner if I had tommorrow's paper at the minute.

I actually think the Mullins team are about to click into gear in a major way.

some Mullins horses not running well,
Capspeed jumped today better than last time, and beaten on merit.

About Ruby
he is not riding very well , at the moment I prefer Townend on Mullins horses rather than him.

Im not sure Mullins horses are running that well either seems very hit and miss at the moment

I would be a close observer of the stable and things aren't going smoothly this season -I cant see the horses being right for Cheltenham.

About Ruby
he is not riding very well , at the moment I prefer Townend on Mullins horses rather than him.

I don't. Ruby's riding fine i'm not sure the Mullins horses are running so well but Walsh remains top boy imho.

I don't see how anyone could say Mullins is having a below par season.

Mullins

86 wins from 331 runs
26% strike rate
47 seconds
40 third places
13 fourths
€959,040 win money
€1,216,101 win and place
-55.43 profit/loss

Nicholls

72 wins from 297 runs
24% strike rate
60 seconds
27 third places
28 fourths
£1,043,687 win money
£1,424,616 win and place
-79.19 profit/loss

I'm just pointing out that both have rather similar stats. They each happen to be the leading trainer in their country this season.

I could add that I don't remember a time before last season when the leading Irish NH stable would be as closely comparable with the leading UK stable.

Both stables are overbet, but Nicholls's more so.

Some interesting stuff at Punchestown as well today.

Browns Baily is being backed to beat Chasing Cars - he is now favourite.

Mourad likes coming second alot and I was really impressed with Rubi Light last time at Limerick. Looks a nice recruit and should have no problem with conditions.

Pittoni was not really put in the race to win it last time but he was still good enough to win it. Expect him to be really hard to beat today in similar conditions. Big Game Hunter is the type to do well over hurdles but probably best watched after his fall last time.

I think if Chasing Cars gets round today he should win on the form lines. Browns Bailey's 2nd to Zaarito looks good on paper but Zaarito was never off the bridle. I'd think Chasing Cars 3rd to Sports Line and Solstice Knight is the better form.

Agree about Pittoni and i think if Ruby can settle Frascati Park he should take a lot of beating.

Interesting all round.

Add another winner to that.

I don't see how anyone could say Mullins is having a below par season.

Mullins

86 wins from 331 runs
26% strike rate
47 seconds
40 third places
13 fourths
€959,040 win money
€1,216,101 win and place
-55.43 profit/loss

Nicholls

72 wins from 297 runs
24% strike rate
60 seconds
27 third places
28 fourths
£1,043,687 win money
£1,424,616 win and place
-79.19 profit/loss

I'm taking on the front two in the market, Mourad and Rubi Light, in the next at Punchestown on the grounds that it's hard for younger against older horses at this time of year.

Back