Racing Today

Is it safe though Gal...i mean is it....i don't think it's ever safe to say that...

I'm hoping it's further enhanced when Jayo runs on Saturday! Was very taken with how he stayed on in the Boylesports.

Very sweet on Jessies Dream at Leopardstown today. Clear round and he will be very tough to beat - he could be a Cheltenham horse.

Totally agree, Gal......he had Zaarito well covered last time, and I think he will hack-up. Plenty of money for him this morning too.

I find it quite stupefying that UK trainers don't send 'markers' over for the likes of the MCR Hurdle.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the Irish handicapping officials are miles behind their UK counterparts. It must be very frustrating for Phil smith and his team that they cannot rely on their counterparts to assess form accurately.

To win the totesport trophy or County Hurdle, you need 8-10lbs in hand of your mark. 20 years ago it was 12-16lbs. Winners of the MCR and its predecessors often prove to have upwards of 20lbs in hand of their Irish mark.

If I owned or trained a decent string, I'd be sending over average horses to see how they ran, to get an idea of the Irish form. The MCR Hurdle is one of the highlights of the Irish season but I seldom have a bet in it. If I do, it tends to be the ALT Moore rep because he tends to keep his best-handicapped hurdler for it. I might therefore stick a small amount ew on Native Clan today.

Edit: Native Clan is only 12/1 best price so no bet. I was half expecting it to be around 40s.

I see Sweet Wake gets in here off just 120. Wasn't this one supposed to be the next Champion Hurdler a couple of years ago? And wasn't C'est Ca (121 today) a horse with a bit of a reputation two years ago?

Last edited:
Also keen on Jessie's Dream. In the 3:05 looking at Asigh Pearl and Gallant Light. Will make up my mind nearer the time. Knockara Beau and Supreme Keano are the choices for Haydock.

I think the fact that Mullins is running Ebaziyan is significant in the sense that he's obviously doing it for the benefit of his other horses in the race.....and with Townend on C'est Ca..well...

Roberto Goldback wins and wins well. Think there is better to come from Jessies Dream as he raced as though he was remembering his fall but no excuses.

These Pertemps qualifiers are normally write-offs from a betting standpoint, but I fancy Conclave to turn around Christmas form with Bobsthewizard. 3m on soft ground will be right up his street ~ in fact I reckon he might actually be ideally suited by a stiffer test.

Surely this is the worst renewal of the Pierce in years.

Roberto Goldback wins and wins well. Think there is better to come from Jessies Dream as he raced as though he was remembering his fall but no excuses.

They need to make more use of Jessies Dream. Not enough gears and he stays well. Nice to see Roberto Goldback frank the form of the races Kimeberlite King ran in. Don't suppose we will get away with a decent mark now!! Roberto is clearly improving with chasing and is a decent type to progress further given his size.

The bumper winner looked impressive but I thought it wasn't much of a race beforehand and they finished in a heap behind the winner. I was on the rails and thought the winner was flat out but the acceleration was good in the ground. Interesting to see if he's very short the next day and a take on.

These Pertemps qualifiers are normally write-offs from a betting standpoint, but I fancy Conclave to turn around Christmas form with Bobsthewizard. 3m on soft ground will be right up his street ~ in fact I reckon he might actually be ideally suited by a stiffer test.

2nd and 3rd in the race at Crimbo finish first and second today.....in reverse order. Might be worth watching for other horses in that race.

Quite fancy Red Laird today running in the 1:50 at Towcester. Probably needed his run last time out though led for the most of the way. Just ran out of steam. Appears to be versatile to ground.
Also fancy Donna's Palm in the 2:45 at Leopardstown (though suspect the smell of burning flesh is my fingers being burnt).

Apologies for the late notice -An Cathaoir Mor is fancied by connections in the next at Leopardstown.The owner and friends are on at 14s ew 3 places.This time last year he had 3 quick runs and improved for each run.

An Cathaoir Mor wins but the second is a top class prospect. Huge run from Sportsline.[/QUOT

Winner won on merit-last week you were praising Cousin Vinnys performance -maybe you need to get rid of the rose tinted glasses.Strong possibility he will go for Skybet chase at Doncaster.
Davidjohnson will be delighted to hear that I topped up at 44 in running.

Err where did I praise Cousin Vinny's run? If anything I was stating he has run some great races given how the horse jumped. You amongst others claimed Cousin Vinny was hugely over hyped despite the fact his chase form has turned out to be pretty hot after the win of the DeBromhead horse today and of Harringtons horse yesterday.

Sportsline was having just his second start over fences (just his 7th career start over all), his first run since November and chased a very strong pace beating all who challenged him but the late run of the winner held 20 lengths off the pace. I think there is plenty of merit in his run and I can only see improvement.

An Cathaoir Mor wins but the second is a top class prospect. Huge run from Sportsline.[/QUOT

Winner won on merit-last week you were praising Cousin Vinnys performance -maybe you need to get rid of the rose tinted glasses.Strong possibility he will go for Skybet chase at Doncaster.
Davidjohnson will be delighted to hear that I topped up at 44 in running.

Sports Line looks a top class horse,
today I dont think he was beaten by inexperience, simply a shocking ride by Ruby.

Would love to get a look at the sectionals for the race; they looked to go like shit off a shovel right from the off and the ease with which An Cathaoir Mor got to Sports Line suggests the pace collapsed fairly dramatically.

Sports Line ran a cracking race, proving he can jump accurately at speed especially with both his market rivals failing that test.

Probably was too agressive on Sportsline, though I remember Mullins saying at Christmas that he's a tricky ride as he's a free-going sort. Don't think he did all that much wrong on Quel Esprit tbh ~ gave Dooney's Gate a hell of a ride as well.

Neither was any worse than Townend's ride on Conclave yesterday anyway.

I thought he was brilliant in the 2m 1f hcap chase .

Sports Line was beaten by an improving horse and both are very promising . I cannot see why Walsh is being criticised . He knows how good a horse Take The Breeze is and no doubt did not want him to get away .Shame Zaarito came down as he had the winner well back when chasing home Captain Cee Bee .

Captain Cee Bee is going to be very hard to beat in the Arkle.

Back