Racing Today

Quel Esprit is a three miler. Why bother sitting on the front making the running if your going to walk for the first mile and a half setting it up for a pacier horse.

At least it confirms QE will be going the three mile route now at Cheltenham.

Quel Esprit is a three miler. Why bother sitting on the front making the running if your going to walk for the first mile and a half setting it up for a pacier horse.

At least it confirms QE will be going the three mile route now at Cheltenham.

Perhaps because they did not wish to give him too hard a race and with Hollo Ladies out underestimated the opposition ?

First part of a review I'm doing on the card today. Mainly to prove to myself what I can do without the influence of work, women or alcohol. Anyway...

Maiden Hurdle (1.10): Rite Of Passage (3/10f) was a warm order to get his hurdling career off to a winning start and duly obliged with a facile 3l victory over Grey Soldier. Dermot Weld’s charge hurdled more than adequately throughout, travelling strongly behind early leader Vardas Partner in a race run at a relatively generous gallop for a race of its type. The only moment of worry for favourite-backers came swinging into the straight, when Rite Of Passage was carried wider than ideal by previous faller Redzer Gazgoff. Robbie McNamara soon had the son of Giant’s Causeway back on an even keel, however, and he quickened decisively away from the last to record a ready success. As far as Cheltenham targets go, the Neptune Investments Novices Hurdle appeals more than the Supreme. He promises to stay 2m5f (especially on good ground) and his turn of foot would be a potent asset over 2m5f. Wherever he goes, he will certainly have to improve significantly on the bare form of today’s success, though he is almost certain to do so.

Grey Soldier was flattered by his proximity to the winner but ran a good race once again, travelling well into the straight before proving no match for the winner. It’s difficult to assess whether this represented an improvement on his second to Prince Of Fire, though he stuck to his task well and may be capable of further improvement on better ground. He has travelled noticeably well throughout both of his races over hurdles, and may be of some interest to in-running punters, though he is almost certain to be a short price if he shows up in anything other than a well above average maiden hurdle.

Fully Funded ran a creditable race on his first start for Noel Meade, keeping on nicely into third. As always with Meade horses improvement can be expected on his next start over hurdles, with his flat form suggesting that a longer trip may well be within his compass over hurdles. There was little obvious promise amongst the others, though Rayhani hinted at ability, particularly as he was done no favours by the fall of Redzer Gazgoff, having to work his way back into the race before keeping on at one pace to finish fifth. Given that he seemingly showed his best on a sound surface on the flat, he might be one to keep an eye on in a handicap on better ground.

Irish Arkle (1.45): An Cathaoir Mor (7/1) took another step up the ladder in taking this under a cracking hold-up ride from David Casey, though there must be a strong suspicion that his success was owing in no small-part to the blistering pace at which the race was run from the off. Though that view isn’t necessarily endorsed by the final time (13.60 seconds above standard), that would seem to suggest more that the pace fell apart than that there was none there at all. Such a view is further bolstered by the ease with which An Cathaoir Mor drew up to the leading group between the last two flights. That is not to say that Henry De Bromhead’s charge is anything other than a serious horse when the pieces fall into place, merely that he is unlikely to find many races to suit his running style as he did today.

Sportsline arguably emerges with just as much credit as the winner having been close to the pace throughout on only his second start over fences. Jumping well in the main, he travelled well into the straight and picked up from the back of the last only to be swamped by the runner-up close home. Given that he was the only one of the horses that raced close to the pace to be involved at the death, he deserves serious credit for this performance, arguably enhancing his Arkle credentials. The fact that his trainer has described him as a free-going (has raced close to the pace every start to date) sort is something of a worry in an Arkle, where there will once again no doubt be any shortage of pace on. Despite that, the 20/1 on offer is a fair price indeed.

Take The Breeze was far from disgraced in third having made a serious blunder three from home that effectively put paid to his chances. In any case he certainly didn’t seem ideally suited to the relative test of speed that this race presented. Whilst there must be question marks over whether he is up to Grade 1 level, if he is it will certainly be over a longer trip (has already stayed 2m4f) with a greater emphasis on stamina. He makes no appeal whatsoever for either Cheltenham or Aintree. Zaarito, who may well have been suited by the run of the race, crashed out at the third. Though it was hard to see the fall given the camera angle, he does lack a degree of physical scope of a typical chaser. His ability to jump at speed thus must be a worry in top races. Major Finnegan ran a creditable race having been on the pace throughout. He seems suited to being allowed to bowl along over fences (though that counted against him today), having frequently pulled very hard over hurdles when held up, albeit in slowly run races. He is a better chaser than a hurdler and can win decent races when his sights are lowered.

Nice review, tracks, but just to be picky!

"......... and picked up from the back of the last only to be swamped by the runner-up close home..........."

You might want to re-write that.;)

Good write up TS - is it going anywhere?

I thought Ruby rode quite a bad race on Sports Line tbh - when he had him at the fron coming round the bend with the other 2 struggling, he should have kicked on; if he had done that, it would have put ACM out of the equation.

Luke - you're acting like a 2 year old.

Cheers, lads. Do one of those every now and then if I'm feeling in the mood just to get my thoughts down. Reading it again, Col, that does need re-wording, and it's certainly not the only bit that does either!

Anyway, the 2.15 at Navan has an interesting shape to it. Acapulco is certainly a deserving favourite on his second to Western Leader in a hot maiden hurdle at Leopardstown, but I'm happy to be against him given doubts over his ability to get this trip as well as his attitude after his last run. Probably a layable proposition at anything under evens but with my confidence in tatters after the last few weeks I prefer to oppose him with Noel Meade's Empire Theatre. Somewhat atypically for a Meade horse, he looks rather woefully one-paced - didn't have the pace to get into the race at Leopardstown last time. The step up in trip and heavy ground should suit down to the ground and he looks a big price at 8/1. The Book Thief is also a certainty to improve for a more thorough test of stamina, though he has more to prove than the Meade horse imo. The prices should be reversed I reckon.

Massive gamble in that race worth mentioning as well trackside. Gordon Elliott's The Flying Pencil in from 14's to 5's from what i can see.

Didn't do my research...didn't look at betfair. Twas a quick glance at PP.

I've gone for the fc; Acapulco to bt The Book Thief.

Think that Sunnyside is an interesting contender for Lucy Normile in the Bumper at Musselburgh today. He was victorious in a 4yo Maiden Point last time out - her fourth start in the field in a decent enough time (3 seconds quicker than the Open won by Inverlochy Lad) whilst he was 7 seconds quicker than the 5+ Maiden won by Some Fool (won by 15 lengths) who had previously finished second to impressive Catterick bumper winner Carpincho.

22/1 with Stan James looks a decent price.

Cheers lads. Don't mention the war Grey....that repairs some of the wounds after Jayo ripping my heart out Saturday...or maybe i should be blaming Anothercoppercoast for upsetting the apple cart!! Either way, out of jail...almost!

A little birdie has told me to back Gheed in the 6.40 at Kempton. Sorry for the short notice, already well backed in from 8's this morning. Was stuck on a course all day with work. Around 9/2 at the mo...

Any ideas which race Rite of Passage will go for at Cheltenham?

Rite Of Passage, an impressive maiden hurdle winner at Leopardstown on Sunday, was trimmed into 5-1 favouritism for the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle by Paddy Power and 6-1 by Coral and Victor Chandler.

Rite Of Passage, an impressive maiden hurdle winner at Leopardstown on Sunday, was trimmed into 5-1 favouritism for the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle by Paddy Power and 6-1 by Coral and Victor Chandler.

Which race is that?

It would be the Royal & Sun Aliiiance hurdle to me. The race won by Barton, Istabraq and Monsignor in recent times.

Back