Racing Today

King's Advocate has something of a cult following these days, but has run a couple of cracking races over inadequate trips his last couple of runs (especially as the run of the race was totally against him last time). Still looks to be on a decent mark though I missed the value last night and have thus steered clear of the race.

Anybody backing Rare Bob on the basis of his Leopardstown gallop wants their head checked imo. 154 looks stiff enough to me on what he has achieved and the drying ground may well be against him. I would consider backing Ballytrim if the race was run over at least a mile further.

Did ZAARITO really impress? Yes, a win's a win, no doubt, but his jumping is sketchy and inconsistent. Travels between them all right, though!

Good call with Ballytrim, TF and Kri. Couldn't have him myself. Will be interesting to see how the handicapper reacts ~ the long-distance handicap he won at Punchestown looks a realisitc target if the handicapper isn't too rash.

Well done Ballytrim supporters.Zaarito was my worst result of the jump season.Lost a shocking amount on him.

Nice to see Zaarito win - he must be one tough cookie to still show no signs of fear after the couple of crunching falls he has had. That is probably his problem - too brave at his fences for his own good. Very low at them again today and there is not much of him to stand up when he thumps one.

For me Paul Townend is an a league of his own, best jockey riding under both codes at the moment, just wondering when Mullins will kick Ruby out as 1st stable jockey.

Paul Townend does exactly what Ruby does, settles a horse really well and gets them into a great rythmn but he does this without dropping a horse someway out of its ground.

Good to see Zaarito back on track. Not one I would want to be on in the future though ~ just doesn't have the scope to make a top chaser I don't think.

I really like Paul Townend and think he has the ability to make an absolutely top rider, but to say he is the best under either code right now is absolutely laughable imo.

Last edited:
Well done Ballytrim supporters.Zaarito was my worst result of the jump season.Lost a shocking amount on him.

It's probably only money lent - he should give you a few chances this season yet to get your money back.

The bumper winner in the last at Gowran Park on Saturday (name escapes me now) was the horse I was most impressed with at the weekend.

Some interesting runners today and even though I probably shouldn't I am going to lay a couple of horses.Souters Point was a horrible dog on the flat and if he is odds on in the first at Stratford he would be decent lay.Clive B's in the first at Lingfield looked to be slow on his debut and if the price is right I will be against him.
Slam looks very interesting in the 230at Stratford-I thought he had a big handicap in him on the flat and even though ultimately disappointing it will be interesting to see how he gets on hurdling.

Would agree about Souter point. I would have Tanto Fez ahead of him.

Slam could go well but it's quite some time since he's been out which would be the only worry. I think the Nick Williams horse (& all of his string from now on) could be a little overbet.

Agree as well with the Souter Point lay. Minimal damage at 5/4 so I'd be a layer there as well.
Assuming the meeting gets the go ahead of course!

Cheers but I only laid Souter Point - to be fair, was only alerted to it after Luke's post so cheers for that.

Last edited:
Some interesting runners today and even though I probably shouldn't I am going to lay a couple of horses.Souters Point was a horrible dog on the flat and if he is odds on in the first at Stratford he would be decent lay.Clive B's in the first at Lingfield looked to be slow on his debut and if the price is right I will be against him.
Slam looks very interesting in the 230at Stratford-I thought he had a big handicap in him on the flat and even though ultimately disappointing it will be interesting to see how he gets on hurdling.

2 up.

Slam looks even more interesting when you take the ground into the equation, which the two market leaders could struggle on. I'm tempted to lay them both at around 9/4, and back Slam.

Back