Racing Today

Decent card at Leopardstown today. Haven't gone through it in detail but anybody taking 8/11 about Tranquil Sea would want their head checked imo. The one that stands out at the prices is Made In Taipan. Two miles left-handed should suit him down to the ground (unlike any of the others). The fact that he is trained by Tom Mullins is obviously a major disadvantage, but I haven't had to do as much soul-searching as usual before deciding to have a decent E/W bet at 9's.

Elsewhere Citizen Vic looks worth opposing in the 2m novice chase on the basis that he won't get his own way in front today over a shorter trip. I'd love to see Major Finnegan win a decent prie; I hope they allow him to go on today as that seems to have been the making of him. I thought Barry Geraghty gave him a very strange ride at Navan the last day.

Cadspeed, who is fast becoming my favourite horse in training, once again favourite for a maiden hurdle.

I'm hoping to see Aran Concerto return to some kind of form today. If he is could well shake up Tranquil Sea.

Perhaps more seasoned race watchers can help me...

I caught a few Irish races today while in the bookies watching the football. Was it my imagination or do runners in Irish hurdles races not get asked serious questions until approaching the last? I noticed many horses make the turn for home without their jockeys asking the slightest question. Some ran on well eventually but if I'd backed any of those horses I'd be asking serious questions.

Perhaps more seasoned race watchers can help me...

I caught a few Irish races today while in the bookies watching the football. Was it my imagination or do runners in Irish hurdles races not get asked serious questions until approaching the last? I noticed many horses make the turn for home without their jockeys asking the slightest question. Some ran on well eventually but if I'd backed any of those horses I'd be asking serious questions.
That's the rules in Ireland. Triers at the front, non-triers at the rear to start and then see how you go.

That's the rules in Ireland. Triers at the front, non-triers at the rear to start and then see how you go.

Typically "held up in rear, ridden 2 out, no impression from before last, beaten 86 lengths" X 3

Followed by:

"Prominent, travelled well to join leader last, stayed on well" 20/1 into 5's.

This Araucaria is very interesting.Saw some people connected to the horse going ballistic when it won at Punchestown on New Years Eve.Kiely likes his bumper horses ridden from well off the pace-a lay at under 4/5.

I thought Marc Aurele looked very opposable in the 3.45 at Newbury. None of his form gives him much chance off 123, but he also looks like a horse with a problem, plenty of layers anticipating that he'd run badly and find little on his reappearance. In Nicholls column today, he suggested he was operated on for his breathing over the summer, however the way he weakened and the perseverence with the tongue strap suggested it hadn't worked. Now either Nicholls is telling porkies about when the breathing operation was, or it's a big surprise to see no tongue strap on today. As I type in fact I notice he is well on the drift having been put in at 5/2.

The one I really like in the race in Nearby. He's a strong-travelling type that is usually dropped out and will benefit from the likely good pace considering so many front runners in the race. He has Gyles Hawkins up taking off 7 b for the first time, and the icing on the cake is the return to a sounder surface. His best Flat and hurdling form has come away from testing ground.

Bad Day at Black Rock...

Last week was a rare losing Saturday since November but I didn't mind since I only had a bet in one race. I'm a wee bit worried that my form might be dipping at just the wrong time with Cheltenham just around the corner. My ante-post bets for Aintree aren't looking particularly smart now either.

And I'm off the bevy for Lent. (Maybe that's the problem.)

DJ -I was licking my lips at the prospects of laying Marc A for a place at odds on but the cat was out of the bag by the time they got to the start.Definitely has some kind of a problem -I think summer racing will be his thing.

Zaarito at odds on later today -about 4/6 when I last looked.Anyone laying this horse consistently would be nicely ahead.Part of me wants to smash into him(lay) but maybe every dog has his day.

Despite the presence of an obvious front-runner in Pesoto, his jumping shouldn't be put under as stiff a test as it has been his last couple of starts. Watching brief for me.

Whodoyouthink is very interesting in the 2m novice hurdle. Silver Patriarch is obviously a potentially very decent animal, but his form is yet to match that of the McKiernan horse (very impressive time at Christmas and then raced too close to an overly-strong pace in the Deloitte). 2/1 seems a fair enough price to me all things considered.

Elsewhere, Major Glendenning looks a tempting EW proposition in the 3m maiden hurdle, with the step up to 3m sure to suit. Angus House looked an awkward sort the last day and, for better or worse, I'm always keen to take on short-priced horses first time over hurdles.

Oscar's Well is the bet of the day in the bumper at 2.4 or bigger in my book.

Back