Retirements and Departures 2013

Andrew Cooper (@ACooperClerk), clerk of the course at Sandown, tweeted: "Positive updates on Tigresse Bleue and Michel Le Bon this morning. Former is stable and responding well, latter has been led out for walk."

Michel le Bon went home yesterday and Tigresse Bleue still at vets but able to be led out. Good news.

Dylan Ross appeared on this weeks Irish Racing Calendar. I very nearly bought him after his first run in the Land Rover but he was €40k and had to stay with Meade. Would have been a nice buy and a lovely type.

Sadly there were screens around the French raider Seabreeze D'Ho after he had fallen in front of the stands early on, and it was later reported that he did not survive.

Sadly there were screens around the French raider Seabreeze D'Ho after he had fallen in front of the stands early on, and it was later reported that he did not survive.

It was gruesome . He avoided the pretty useless attempts to catch him and stumbled with what appeared to be very badly damaged forelegs up the run in until coming to an exhausted and evidently in great pain halt and was caught be the winning post .

Worst thing I have seen since Doran's Pride died at Cheltenham.

Last edited:
Horrific :(

Doran's pride was relieved to get up, even on three legs. I stood right next to him when he fell. Broke my heart, he was my favourite horse. He was more scared by falling. It was Family business who broke his hock! not the fall. But seeing any horse run with a flapping leg is the worst thing in racing.

Nx

:(:( Really, really sad, I've always loved Silver By Nature, I remember seeing him win his first bumper at Perth - gorgeous grey, think he was trained by Lucy Normile then.

Lucinda always seems to have bad luck with some of her star horses.

Thoughts with his connections, RIP old boy.

COUNTRYWIDE FLAME, one of the sport's top dual-purpose performers, has run his last race after succumbing to a degenerative bone condition that will require him to be carefully monitored over the coming months.

The John Quinn-trained five-year-old was a seven-time winner on the Flat and finished second in last year's Cesarewitch, but it was as a jumper that he enjoyed his finest hours, winning the 2012 Triumph Hurdle in the same year he went on to post a 12-length victory in the Fighting Fifth Hurdle.

Quinn, whose star won ten races and earned £270,522, said on Sunday: "He has a bone degeneration on his two hind joints. We can keep him comfortable but he'll not be able to race again.​
"There's no way back from it, which is a real pity. He was a proper Grade 1 horse, you couldn't knock him."​
He added: "At the moment he's comfortable at my yard, which is where we're going to keep him for the winter. We're hoping to turn him out in the spring and we'll see how he is. If there ever comes a point where he's very uncomfortable or in pain or discomfort we'll address it there and then."​
Dougie Costello, who partnered Countrywide Flame to victory in the Triumph Hurdle, tweeted: "Sad to hear the news of Countrywide. He is a little star who gave me one of my biggest wins. Hopefully he'll enjoy retirement. #legend."​

Last edited:
What a ******* pig's ear Henderson made of that horse's career. It's clear watching the Neptune he wasn't that great at hurdling and would be better over fences. RIP

Shame about chatterbox :(

And I hope they can keep Countrywide Flame comfortable for many years, and it's better than it sounds.

Nx

It warms the cockles of this particular Christmas heart, to hear that Beefy is enjoying his retirement in the company of Moscow Flyer, Vintage Crop and Kicking King.

Back