Retirements & Departures 2011

I'd rather hoped that today's boggy conditions would see any fallers just slide along and get up okay, but it looks like two have failed to survive the day's endeavours, and if Nicky Henderson's KERENSA's dead, she's gone on her racecourse debut in the Bumper at Towcester, which is almost extra sad, given the anticipation by her owners, a racing club.

Crappy update: MINELLA HUMOUR lost at Towcester, too.

Last edited:
I'd rather hoped that today's boggy conditions would see any fallers just slide along and get up okay, but it looks like two have failed to survive the day's endeavours, and if Nicky Henderson's KERENSA's dead, she's gone on her racecourse debut in the Bumper at Towcester, which is almost extra sad, given the anticipation by her owners, a racing club.

Yup, she is :(

Thanks, Trudi - a day ending in misery for whoever attended to see her first outing, and for AP, who'd have known all too well how much anticipation there'd have been.

Kerensa was one of 2 horses in a Racegoers Club owners group we are part of. Didn't see the race but saw she'd been pulled up and got the email today to confirm. Very sad

BERING, second to Dancing Brave in the Arc and a successful stallion and broodmare-sire, was put down on Friday at the age of 28, he was suffering from lymphangitis

Reported on Atacanta today that we have lost HIGHLAND VALLEY and RITH BOB. RITH BOB was contesting a novices' chase at Ffos Las and described as weakening and tailed off when falling heavily three out. I realise that hindsight is perfect, but personally I prefer to see horses which are still novices and clearly tired being PU and allowed to try again. We've seen an unedifying number of late jump falls by demonstrably tired horses out on their feet, and a number of those fail to rise. I really would like to see a rule introduced where, if you're on a horse which isn't capable of keeping up and is evidently weakening, you just PU. We've lost around the usual number of horses this year, the vast majority NH, of course, and some of these fatalities could've been minimised by just giving best to the six, ten, fifteen horses ahead of you and trotting back in.

Last edited:
Reported on Atacanta today that we have lost HIGHLAND VALLEY and RITH BOB. RITH BOB was contesting a novices' chase at Ffos Las and described as weakening and tailed off when falling heavily three out. I realise that hindsight is perfect, but personally I prefer to see horses which are still novices and clearly tired being PU and allowed to try again. We've seen an unedifying number of late jump falls by demonstrably tired horses out on their feet, and a number of those fail to rise. I really would like to see a rule introduced where, if you're on a horse which isn't capable of keeping up and is evidently weakening, you just PU. We've lost around the usual number of horses this year, the vast majority NH, of course, and some of these fatalities could've been minimised by just giving best to the six, ten, fifteen horses ahead of you and trotting back in.

Wise words Kri,I wonder how much of the 'persistant riding' is due to the fact that remounting is now not allowed? No doubt some of the riders think they may as well carry on till the end as they don't know whether the ones in front will complete? Just a thought but as you say,especially with the Novices,they should just be PU & allowed another chance on another day.

I'm not too sure about the idea regarding remounting, Blazers, as your horse has to fall first and, in RITH BOB's case, she'd incurred fatal injuries so could not be ridden back. I think it's more to do with being seen to keep riding out and that you'll be asked to explain yourself if you don't attempt to grind your way round, although, there again, if stewards can't tell tired animals from fresh ones and make suitable allowances, they should retire.

It's mostly the novices who will tire, especially after they've been a bit keen early on, and I think it's sometimes the jockey's idea that they must get round and do a full race so they can learn to cope with the number of fences and distance. But if they're not coping by the time they get to the third last, as she seems not to have been, then I'd like them to please do the right thing by the animal who is in their care as much as under their control. There should be no stigma to a PU on a novice's form, imo.

Last edited:
I think Blazers point is that the horses in front could fall, and if they do, they can't be remounted, so if you can keep your mount going, you still stand a chance.

Thank you, Raksha, for making that clear. Yes, you do stand a chance if your horse is still going, too, but in Rith's case, she'd weakened from fairly decent running and was tailed off. It would've needed at least six horses to have crashed out for her to have any sort of a chance. This is what is getting me down - seeing or reading about so many 'weakened, tailed off, not in contention, etc.' horses still being shoved on and on until they keel over, sometimes fatally. It's particularly inexcusable when they're still novices, and learning their career. They should be gaining skills and confidence, like a human apprentice, not getting hollowed out by the experience.

If you're on a back marker, but with a good enough feel under you, yes, by all means keep grinding along. But then again, what are the chances of fields of - as I said - ten or fifteen all falling over ahead of you? Realistically, none at all. Grind along if you feel the horse is just slow but can still complete safely, but otherwise - pull up!

Jockeys should sense a duty of care as strongly as a desire to win or place - regrettably NH racing sometimes gives an appearance of dereliction there, when too often the head-on finish film shows the winner already pulling up past the post while the last stragglers, two jumps behind even then, are forced at obstacles, only to crash. What has the horse learned? That he's demanded to deliver more effort than he can, when his rider should - as the more intelligent being - know better? So, frighten or disappoint the animal, sour it early, make it think about a RO next time to save itself, or, as has happened too often, cause its death when it's tried to fulfil the rider's demands, and failed.

I am truly against this relentless shoving along of tired animals. If you were taking a walk with someone who complained of feeling exhausted, you wouldn't give him a few slaps and tell him he'd only got another half mile to go, the lazy bastid, would you? :confused:

DOME RUN in the 12.20 hurdles, Sedgefield - PU very quickly with his near hindleg gone at what looks like the fetlock, I'm sorry to say. The race is going on as I type and he's flat out on the wrong side of the screens - I think the vet must've shot him straight away.

Last edited:
krizon; I'm getting so sick of these 'tired falls' that have such tragic consequences. How many times has it happened recently? I don't know what can be done about it, but I find it far worse than the 'overuse of the whip' issue. Perhaps a new year resolution to draw some attention to what's happening?

It seems to have been a feature this year particularly, Moehat, whereas a few years ago it was 'speed kills', especially when we'd had some dry winters and the going was rarely soft enough to cushion falls. Then we went through a period of seeing a helluva lot of rotationals which snapped necks. I don't know what this nonsense is this year, but yes, I'm sick of it, too, and I think you're right - something does need to be highligted. I might bung off a letter to the RP to see if there's anyone else out there except BW, you and me, who find this trend so unacceptable. The overuse of the whip at least saw the horses survive, even if they weren't best pleased with a good whuppin'. This trend doesn't give many of them a chance.

From the BHA Handicapper's blog:

"When it comes to non-finishers, current handicapping convention among the team dictates that we take into consideration anything that happens from the second last onwards - and anything that occurs up to and just after the third last we ignore"

This is used mostly regarding horses who appear to be travelling well when falling in terms of whether they go up in the handicap, but Phil Smith told me that the BHA handicapping team are much more likely to drop a horse which finishes tailed off than one which is pulled up a mile out, which may well lead to trainers urging jockeys to tackle all obstacles up to and including the second last where possible.

Thanks very much for that, Rory. It flags up what might be a counter-argument, except that mine is not with horses still travelling acceptably at the time of their late falls. A horse might be slowed by a lot of extra weight since his last outing/hate the ground/have been baulked - all sorts of reasons why he might not be doing as well as one might expect.

My argumet is with horses who are sent out to race on ground which should suit, when they've shown some reasonable efforts before, and who are being shoved at obstacles when - as the analyses or your own eye will show - they are weakening rapidly, tailed off, out of contention, hopelessly tailed off, tired, not been jumping fluently, have been blundering and making tired mistakes before taking their final, fatal crash.

It's these no-hoper late-fence falls, most especially among novice chasers (and a handful of novice hurdlers, although their standard of fluency is usually appalling if not French imports), that has vexed me.

If your horse is a plugger and is out of contention but going okay within himself, then by all means see if he can get a clear round. Same goes for one who you're trying on different ground to the usual, and who isn't enjoying it. Have a go anyway if you think it's safe to do so.

I think the BHA's officials should be concerned to encourage the duty of care to the horse during a race, and should frame their rules - including handicapping - accordingly. Oh, heck, I might as well send it a letter and see what response I get! Your paragraph will be very helpful in framing the wording - cheers.

So glad to hear that both MISTER MCGOLDRICK and MADISON DU BERLAIS are being retired safe and sound in one piece.
Mister M after a 91 race career will be parading at Wetherby. Shouted him home at the 2008 Festival, even though I hadn't backed him. Tough, brave, genuine - a credit to connections. Loved this horse and it is wonderful he's getting the retirement he deserves.
Also lovely to see Madison retired before starting a slippery slope.

Couldn't have put it any better myself Kri. A letter is certainly worth a go.

Really pleased Mister McGoldrick got around safely LTO & now really pleased he's been retired in one piece. Hopefully I'll get some pics at Wetherby Monday of him & give him a cheer as he canters down to past the stand & back.

Yes, fab news about MM and MDB - I'd really love to see any pix you can manage at Wetherby, Blazing. There was always something so heartwarming about the way he ran - he always looked happy!

Back